“Overall nice stay”

AC Palacio Del Retiro, Autograph Collection
Ranked #144 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great location but in quiet area. Parking nearby but we lucked out by finding parking on street near by. Great host. Great amenities. We booked with Marriott points but they charged us an extra 100 Euros a night because they claimed that the rooms were for two people only and we had our 7 year old twins with us. No worries but wish I had known that or that they extended the courtesy to Platinum member like me who spends over 75 nights a year in Marriotts around the world. More importantly, in Spain there is not much concept of customer service so get used to that. The lady at the front desk tried to convince me how it was my fault for the booking even though I had advised Marriott we would have two kids with us and that has never before been an issue. I advised her that she must have failed her Customer Service 101 class :) In any event, the stay was overall good except for this mishap. The facilities are also nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with lovely updated decor. Excellent spa like bathrooms with good quality shampoo etc. staff extremely accommodating. Breakfast was very disappointing, we were served two slices of bread with jams, a mini croissant and stale Danish. Fresh OJ made it okay, certainly not what we are used to from marriott. Spotty wifi in lobby and non existent wifi in rooms even though they gave us pass codes as platinum marriott members. Easy access to metro to get to airport and see sights. We stayed on points so would stay again for that reason.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The photos on the Marriott website are amazing and amazingly deceiving. As a Marriott Gold member, I stay at Marriott hotels all over the world and am generally pleased. This hotel was a complete disappointment. The price at nearly $300 US is way overpriced for this hotel. My reservation stated a king or double room. What I received was two single beds...hardly the same thing. My room faced a wall...no view...no air...nothing. The food at this hotel is overpriced...over $20 for a burger...Cheese plate from only $20 as well...fried eggs with some ham...nearly $20.00. I am generally patient to a fault, however this hotel pushed my limits. The beds are small, the service is inattentive, the food is overpriced...and all of this for a bargain price of only $300 US. For those of you that are attracted to this hotel because of the Marriott brand...I encourage you to look elsewhere. This hotel will disappoint you.

Room Tip: If you like alley and wall views, you will love this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank GoodnessCo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were really looking forward to our stay here as the photos from Marriott's site looked stunning. Imagine our disappointment when our very spacious modern room faced a wall. A creatively painted wall I admit, but no natural light to speak of. Otherwise, our king room was large, quiet and well appointed. The bathroom was a stunner however be careful with the heavy glass doors if your roommate enters while you are exiting the toilet space: a collision is guaranteed. There is no clock or coffee maker. A complimentary continental breakfast was included. Beware: you get one cup of coffee with your repast and that's it. Our waiter went out of his way to keep his back to us when it looked as if we were going to ask for anything. This was a real turn off. It felt as if we were imposing and this seemed to be consistent with other guests who did not pay for breakfast. I would have gladly paid for more coffee if anyone had asked if we needed anything else. As fas as front desk service went it was the polar opposite: everyone we encountered went out of their way to be of help especially the bellman who located a place to have a watch battery replaced. Too bad the breakfast experience stained what was an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: For quiet, ask for the inner rooms. For sunlight, ask for a street view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

The old saying, location, location, location. If you stay in Madrid this us the place for comfort, service, convenience and charm. An old mansion converted into a 50 room hotel at a very reasonable price. No restaurant on the premises except the tapas style bar and breakfast room will delight. Gin & tonic cocktails are the rage in Madrid. Take it from. G& T snob those made by Jesus were the best ever! I'm a freak about how this cocktail should be made but this is it. Hendricks gin, Indian Tonic, fresh limes, with several fresh juniper berries floating and I was in heaven! Add a small selection of careful crafted tapas and you're there. We will stay here again with or without Marriott points. I'd give this hotel a 4.5 if I could.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cotomike
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Spent two nights on a business trip. Hotel is in a beautiful building across the street from the Parque del Retiro, a fantastic location. Room was nice though a bit on the small side. Hotel is starting to show its age as some of the furniture is a bit frayed. Service at the front desk was outstanding. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

uxurious, upscale, independent boutique hotels define the Autograph Collection by Marriott. They are independent hotels located around the world, which promise to offer individuals a unique, customized experience. The historical AC Palacio Del Retiro lives up to the Autograph Collection demands, presenting a supreme location for exploring Madrid and a one of a kind historical hotel experience.

Located across the street from the famous Retiro Park, steps away from the Prado Museum and Gran Via, Madrid's hottest shopping street and borders the alternative neighbor of Chueca. One could never run out of ways to entertain themselves while staying at the Palacio Del Retiro. Not only is the location among the best in the city, but the hotel itself offers amenities and services to entertain all. From the minute you arrive, the friendly staff are at your service and will do everything to ensure your stay is pleasant.

My brother and I arrived in Madrid, tired from a long trip from the western United States. Instead of dealing with a hostel after a long flight, I reemed 90,000 Marriott Reward points for the ONLY 5 star hotel on Retiro Park in Madrid. Since the Palacio Del Retiro is part of the Autograph Collection, I thought 30,000 points a night wasn't a bad deal at all! Not to mention, it would be my brothers first time staying in a 5 star hotel! So I figured, why not start the trip off with a bang!

We arrived very tired, but in great moods. Once we entered the hotel the receptionists were friendly, greeted us in Spanish, but right after I asked, "Hablas ingles?," she instantly transitioned to English. At the time of checking in, the reservation system was not working, but they took my word on everything that I claimed without any questions asked. I explained I had booked a room for 3 nights with two beds, using rewards points and that I was a Marriott Platinum elite member. We joked about how I could have just made everything up, but of course this was not the case. After a quick passport check and copying our information, we were provided with keys to our room, a voucher for the internet, a complimentary breakfast, and informed our welcome gift would be delivered shortly. The welcome gift is provided to all Platinum Elite members and in this case was two bottles of water and mini cheesecakes. Minutes later we were escorted to our room by the same receptionist who checked us in.

Our room was small but magnificent. Large French oak doors from the hallway opened into our room, using a key that appeared to be from 1900! Although the room was small, it was extremely comfortable, offering two single beds pushed together, a desk, a wardrobe, safe, and a large bathroom with an oversize soaking tub, standalone shower, double sinks, and a separate stall for the toilet. The room gleamed with originality, offering original features from when the building was built in 1908. The beds were also extremely comfortable and after a long trip across the Atlantic, it provided for a great sleeping surface!

The hotel offers a mini bar/lounge in the lobby although despite its mood lighting and unique feel, I never once saw a soul inside. The hotel did not seem very busy while visiting. Even at breakfast time, I never spotted more than 2 or 3 people in the café. Breakfast is served in a lounge/café area open to all guests and no concierge lounge is available for Marriott Elite guests. Instead, a complimentary continental breakfast is offered which includes 3 mini croissants, one of which was chocolate. Breakfast also included orange juice, coffee, fruit salad, and toast with jam. Marriott Elite guests can upgrade to the full service breakfast for an additional 12 euro which includes cook to order eggs and an array of other breakfast delicacy.

Finally, the hotel has a spa on site which is open to all guests. Down the spiral staircase to the basement is a large Jacuzzi, dry sauna, and heated lounge chairs. Smooth jazz music plays in the background and makes this small day spa a great place to relax after a long day wandering Madrid or after a business meeting. Access to the spa is free to all guests.

Overall this hotel is a true beauty from the grand marble staircase to the one of a kind artwork located throughout the hotel. This hotel offers a unique experience in a fantastic location for exploring Madrid! I would warn travelers though that the lobby is not open 24 hours and if you plan on returning after a late night out on the town, you may find yourself locked out. This happened to my brother and I. On a Thursday night/Friday morning around 4am, we found ourselves stuck outside for more than 30 minutes, while we rang the buzzer and called the hotel trying to get back in. It appeared as though the night security watch man had fallen asleep in the backroom! Otherwise, this hotel is truly distinctive, and worth a visit!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends