“Great stay!”

Ranked #89 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Houston, Texas
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My husband and I were traveling through Europe this past week. One of our stops was in Madrid and we stayed at the Praktik. The Praktik Metropol is a boutique style hotel, situated right off Grand Via (major street in Madrid), it is walking distance from Plaza Mayor and some other great tourist stops. It is a 30 to 35 euro cab ride from Barajas airport. I give it 5 stars for the location because it is central to everything. 4 stars for safety, it is in a pretty safe area, there are cops situated outside of the hotel. One thing to note, there is a high traffic of prostitution outside of the hotel, which explains the cops, but the girls are harmless and very well controlled by the cops. Its actually fun people watching. I give it 3 stars for the room, it is Europe but the room was tiny, the sink was in the corner of the room and there was a tight space for walking around the room, but we managed, for what I payed I didn't mind one bit (you hardly stay in your room). I give it 3 stars for cleanliness, the bed linens had some weird stains on them and the wood floors were a bit dusty. Another thing to note the hotel offers a 1 euro breakfast which constitutes a glazed donut and coffee, you can't beat that in EU. Overall I give it 4 stars. The people at the front were friendly and very helpful (I dont know about their english speaking since I'm fluent in Spanish). The hotel was cute and boutiquey (which I like) and the location was unbeatable!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
DireccionPraktik, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Sayda,
Thank you very much for such a complete review of our hotel, and just to point out, that all our front desk staff speaks english, among other languages.
As you said we are a boutique hotel, with a great location, and with the most important things you may need during your stay, such as "wi-free" internet, good beds, good bathrooms, with big shower, and a Praktik idea for breakfast, Nespresso + donuts for only 1 eur.
We hope you could come back soon.
Kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

i went there with my boyfriend.
it was a city break, and the hotel was really nice.
The staff were helpful, they spoke english, the room was clean.
it would be nicer to have a better breakfast, but the hotel is situated in the center of the town, so lots of cafes and restaurants around.
The layout was a bit strange.
I would recommend it.
We stayed on the 9th floor, and the view from there was amazing!!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room at the 9th floor, the view is amasing
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
DireccionPraktik, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you very much, for your review. We are sure that you enjoyed in one of the superior rooms on the 9th floor with most outstanding views of Madrid downtown, and the terrace up there, it's also amazing. We have also superior rooms viws to Gran Via, that are really surprising.
We hope you could stay again soon!
Follow us in our website.
Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 March 2012

In the beginning I booked this hotel through the booking site but when I tried to go to their website, they have promotion for autumn/winter hence I got a very good price at EUR 59/night. There was nothing I don't like with this hotel except for the reception which a bit grumpy.

The hotel is located in the very heart of Madrid, at Grand Via, surrounded by shopping complex, restaurants, and very close to Plaza Puerta del Sol and lovely Mercado de San Miguel. The room we stayed was very lovely and I love the way they design the hotel and rooms. Breakfast was cheap too since I got 2 Nespresso and croissants for EUR 1. I have no problem at all with the wifi, but there was a bit leak at the shower cabin and the bathroom floor always wet after shower. It was autumn/beginning of winter, so wet and cold bathroom floor is not the best thing to have. Hope they have fixed it (if I'm not mistaken it was room 308).
I would recommend this place to friends and if I got a chance to go to Madrid again, I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Choose the high floor as the streets are very busy and noisy even at night.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Primaully W
DireccionPraktik, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for such a superb review of our hotel. We like to enjoyed during your stay at Praktik Metropol.
We hope you could visit us again.
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This hotel is one of the most unusual Hotels I've ever stayed. I personally did not like the contemporary/artistic decor and furniture. El Praktik Metropol is well located within Madrid and the metro station is literally in front of the Hotel. The room and restroom were spacious and the room had a nice balcony. The "King" bed (two twin beds put together) was quite uncomfortable and would not stay in place (it had wheels). Overall, a good value and surprisingly quiet given the location. Yes, there are "women of the night" but never bother us, plus there's plenty of security/police officers around.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We arrived here with small expectations due to the price.... We were right! Poor wifi- not working for over 24hrs, and we were told too bad- We stayed here only because we had already paid- It is central, and the room clean, though the bathroom on arrival smelt like urine and this smell has lingered for 2 days- no amount of flushing has helped. The beds and pillows were comfy but nothing special so we will not return or recommend this place to anyone..

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Holidaytimbo
DireccionPraktik, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all we have to say thank you for choosing us. And as we talked yesterday the problem with the internet conection was fixed few minutes after our conversation. Also most of the guests that experienced problems with wireless were given a free card for City Internet conection out of our system, so they could work during the time we needed for fixing the conection. Due to the bad manners you had and your impatience, you were not offered this cards.
Despite the problem with wireless, you know there's nothing else to complaint about us.
I hope you find a right place to stay in Madrid, next time, and just have a look into the rest of the reviews, to get noticed that maybe your impression was not perfecly clear.
Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France
Reviewed 2 March 2012

ok, the price is not the highest, but apart from the cool lobby, the rest is really minimum.room is smallish, service not existent, the whole seems to be a YMCU with a touch of modern. Nothing to bring your gf or wife, she will leave you.So, better spend a little more and go elsewhere.there are only a few prostitutes in front of the hotel, which is the case in the whole area.but it is definitely no romantic hotel.and for rooms facing the street they charge EUR 25 plus.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Tom,
Thank you for taking a few minutes to "minimize" our establishment. Reading your review it seems like we lied or something, that we promised all the people that will find a five-stars service, huge rooms, a lot of restaurants, swimming-pool, sauna, gym, piano bar...
In fact we do...as we offer a praktik place, not expensive, to stay when someone comes to Madrid. Then somehow, besides the big beds (most of them are 2m x 2m), huge shower, free wi-fi... the great location we have, offers our guests the possibility to have a five-star service: the most impressive views of Madrid from some rooms and from our terrace, metro station at the door, the most fashion shops just round the corner, the best restaurants of city surrounding the hotel, the best place for jogging the Retiro park (15 mins from Praktik), and all the theaters of the city, just within a walking distance, the coolest clubs, bars...
I can imagine thousands and thousands of possibilities you have to surprise your couple, with this location, and at Praktik Metropol.
Just have a look into our website to find our terrace, you will see a place where you could have brought the stars to you girlfriend or wife. Maybe you will have to do your best to be romantic next time. Do not blame Praktik Metropol :)
We have a slogan: Praktik in Love...