“Excellent Hotel and Location”
Review of Praktik Metropol

Praktik Metropol
Ranked #86 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This was one of the best places I have stayed. Very modern, clean and, helpful. The staff was very nice and had all the answers to my questions. The metro station is right outside the front door. It's on a main street so you are never too far away from shops and restaurants. We had a corner room and it was amazing. Our fellow travelers booked a standard room and it was well appointed as well. Great opening doors to the outside and the AC is wonderful with Madrid being so hot. The rooftop deck is amazing day and night. Very relaxing to have a drink and read. The walls were thick we couldn't hear anything. The bathroom doors were not a problem in either of our two rooms because they have been frosted over.
The donuts and coffee for one euro and the free internet were great deals.
Some cons were the elevator took forever and there was only one due to other being broke. The ladies of the night took some getting used to, they don't bother you at all. No need for concern. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Guest,
We are very to hear about your experience with us, we hope you could come and visit us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Praktik Metropol

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Rooms are newly renovated but stink like a sewage plant. View out of our room to the courtyard which isn t much more than an elevator shaft, dirty and full of rubbish. We had to sleep with the airicon running on high for the whole night due to the stink. The roof terrace is nice but the staircase is not lit up (no lights at all , not the light turned of !!) which resulted in me missing one step despite all cautions straining my ankle. Next morning I wanted to make a phone call to the airline we were flying out but Juan, an extremely unfriendly and rude receptionist simply refused me the use of the phone at the reception. He told me to go outside and use a public phone boot instead. I walked the distance of nearly 200 meters and found three phone boots all not working. Made my way back to the Hotel with my ankle hurting like … and asked again Juan if I could use the phone for a quick call to the airline office at the airport. He again refused to assist and told that if I have to make a phone call this is not his problem but my problem. Finally a colleague of his came and she gave me the phone without any question. Juan however told me after about a minute using the phone that he needs the phone back as some one might try to call the hotel (they have only one phone in the whole reception area? Juan was the most rude and impolite reception staff I have ever met in 35 years of travelling. Considering the situation on the Spanish unemployment market he should be more worried!

This was the first and last time I ever stayed at this hotel or that I have made a booking through AGODA.

Room Tip: IF you decide to stay there despite what we had to go throug ask for a room towards the street side...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Bapu54
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear Guest,
First of all I am very surprised for this comment. I apologize for the inconveniences you found, well the treatment received. Be sure that we have already taken the appropiate measures with the recepcionist. He never has made anything like this before. We are sorry that because of this misunderstanding your experience with us was not good.
Praktik Metropol is exactly as the guests may expect, and according with our scores in different websites like trip advisor, 95% of guests leave the hotel totally satisfied.
Some rooms have back view to an interior courtyard, and that's why they are cheaper. But we always specify this. The views are not from our building, are from another building being out of our control.
We hope you could reconsider your opinion and came back to visit us again.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Very helpful and friendly staff with smiles and tips for our stay in Barcelona. Metro riht outside the hotel and a delicious bakery!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
DireccionPraktik, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments, just one point...we are in Madrid. :)
We hope you could enjoy again in one of our hoteles in Madrid or Barcelona.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Fantastic location, right on gran villa and steps from the metro. Easy walk to puerta del sol, plaza mayor, plaza Santa anna, and other great tourist sites, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.

The room was small but they make great use of the space. The minimalist, modern decor had a clean look and avoided the cluttered, dusty look of a lot of other hotels in the area. All the fixtures were moden and the hotel was clean and quiet, despite the location right on gran villa. The rooftop deck is spectacular and a great place to drink a bottle of wine or three. Staff was pleasant and relatively helpful. free wifi. I can see how some people thought it had the feel of a hostel.

The downsides: there are few amenities other than those previously mentioned. You cannot get ice and there are not even pens and paper in the room. (with the great location, however, you can find anything you need close by.) Also, there are a significant number of prostitutes that work the area directly outside of the hotel. Even so, it is still a safe area and no one bothered me coming and going, or even sitting at a cafe right outside the hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank NCDiamond

Dear Guest,
Thank for taking some time to write a review about, we are happy to know that you enjoyed during your stay at Praktik Metropol. We hope you could come back to stay again with us.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Trying to nail exactly what the Praktik Metropole is, and define the ambience of its immediate surroundings is not easy. As someone else has observed, it is somewhere between a hotel and a hostel - but while that might sound off-putting, it actually makes for a very pleasant, relaxed stay. In fairness it is much closer to "hotel" - it even has its own rooftop terrace (separated from the hotel proper by 5 floors that manage to contain a further 3? hostals!). The views from the terrace were spectacular. Its location is superb: 10mins from Prado; right on Gran Via and only 20metres from the metro.

We found the receptionists to be helpful and friendly, and the whole check-in and check-out process was very easy. The reception also sells the Nespresso capsules for the coffee machine., and we found the 1 Euro coffee + donut deal unbeatable! However, if you don't fancy that, then there's plenty of cafes within 100 metres. Also within that 100 metres is a micro-red light district. In the pedestrianised street outside the hotel (and seemingly ONLY in that part of the street) a number of "ladies of easy virtue" ply their trade - morning, noon and night. It is clearly a trade tolerated within this small area, but seems odd to be happening alongside the regular hurly-burly of a busy street.

Our room, though not spacious, was comfortable and despite its location, overlooking Gran Via, was reasonably quiet. Our enjoyment of the room was marred by intermittent but prolonged odours emanating from the bathroom and the air con. With the bathroom, we found filling the sink with water tended to reduce the smell. As for the air con, that was more elusive and we never really succeeded in eliminating it. I think we just ended up ignoring it.

Despite that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel - in part because it offers great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlKronos
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Interior of the hotel:

Praktik is located at nearly the very end of Montera street (Calle de la Montera), where it joins up with the Gran Vía. You'll go in through an entrance with no doors in the side of the building just before the McDonalds round the corner of the building. You will find stairs and two lifts.

The first floor of the building is the reception area; the second to fourth floors are rooms of Praktik, and the ninth floor is more rooms and the rooftop garden/patio area. If I recall correctly, the other floors were other hostels/hotels, and I didn't go to those floors at all during my visit.

The design of the hotel is lovely. The reception area has a longish sort of wooden table where you can eat, toilets, two Windows computers with nice sized screens on which you can use the internet.

Our superior double room had a balcony that looked out onto the end of Montera street. Our bathroom was nice and clean and did not smell, and for my stay the air conditioning and wifi worked perfectly. There is a safety deposit box in the closet.

Definitely go and take a look from the rooftop on the ninth floor! You can look out across many rooftops of Madrid, and it looks beautiful at nighttime, too. Check the opening hours, though - it's something like 9am to midnight, I think.

The reception staff weren't rude when we asked questions. Which reminds me: the tap water in Madrid is very drinkable (and tastes pretty great)!

Exterior of the hotel:

Oh yes, and the location of the hotel is about 3 minutes' walk south to the Puerta del Sol, plus or minus depending on whether you saunter or speedwalk. You can use the Metro or train (Cercanías) from Puerta del Sol. You might consider, depending what line you want to change to, walking up north to use the Gran Vía station, for example.

Final note regarding safety: yes, there were prostitutes standing below in the area. They aren't dressed too shockingly. They seem to stand by the side of the road mostly and during my stay I personally didn't feel any less safe due to their presence.

Puerta del Sol was one of the safest places to me during my trip to Madrid, mostly because when I was there there would always be a police van or two parked in the vicinity, and police officers wandering around in packs of three or even packs of six or seven. (They were very happy to give directions when we asked for help, although not all of them speak any English.) There is a police station on Montera street itself.

That said, like any prudent traveler going anywhere, do keep tabs on your valuables throughout your trip!

Room Tip: Get a superior double if you want more space, and ask about the view from the room's balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank fleagah
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights. I was a little turned off at check-in. The receptionist snapped that I did not book a double twin room and when I showed him my confirmation that confirmed a double-twin room, he snapped that it doesn't matter because the room wasn't ready and we couldn't check-in anyway. He was not friendly initially. Since we had a few hours to explore before we could check-in, the receptionist took our luggage to storage and outlined places for us to see. He slowly warmed up.

The room was a decent size and the bathroom was great. Everything was very clean. I liked the 1€ coffee near the lobby. The location is near shops and restaurants. Try a croissant at La Mallorquina. There are prostitutes right outside the hotel but the area is not seedy or dodgy. They mix in among the people eating and sitting at the cafes. Overall, we had an amazing stay and a great visit.

• Stayed: May 2012