“Great location in the heart of Madrid”
Review of Praktik Metropol

Praktik Metropol
Ranked #89 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great location in the heart of Madrid”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Great clean chic hotel right on the main area of Madrid. Ideal if you are walking around the city, most places are no more than 30 minute walk from here. Great 9th floor terrace with stunning views of the city, as well as free coffee and a pastry for breakfast. Recommend getting a Superior Room with great views and natural light. Stayed for 2 nights and would go back, highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montenegro
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This small very nice hotel is just in the corner of Montera and Gran via, it was supposed to be a great point, but in the weekend the pedestrian street Montera is not very well frequented unfortunatelly! Although It doesn`t make any diference for us, we could walk around and do all we want, we came back late and there was no problem, just an esthetics question, like trash and and ugly people

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I'm in the middle of a 4 night stay at the Praktik Metropol. I LOVE it! Central location, beautiful common areas (including the 9th floor terrace), nice toiletries (H2O brand), lovely and quiet room with lots of natural light and great shower (I'm in a superior room). The A/C works well. The front desk staff is super nice and helpful too.

Based on previous reviews, I thought the 24-hour prostitutes were directly in front of the hotel entrance. Not true. They are sprinkled throughout the plaza, which is not a big deal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mrpatterson
Lafayette, IN
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here for six nights toward the middle of June. Overall, I thought it was a great value for the money. I got a double superior room for an average of less than 100 dollars a night, one of the better values in all my years of travelling around Europe. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Positives of the Metropol include the location right next to the Gran Via Metro stop, which means that everything most people want to see is within walking distance. From the airport I would take the Aeropuerto express (5 euros) to Place/Plaza Cibeles and walk about 10-15 minutes to the hotel. The ladies of the night (who seem to work day and night) outside the hotel were no bother at all, but I could see why some might rather not see the all the time. The main lobby on the second floor is quite nice in a quirky sort of way. I enjoyed sitting there in the morning with my 1 euro coffee and donut. There are two computers in the lobby with a printer for guests, though the free wifi in my room worked flawlessly. My room was a nice size and spotlessly clean, though this was the top end room and I wonder about the size of the more basic rooms. If you can spare the extra 10-15 euros, splurge for the larger room. The white decor is pleasant and cool. The air conditioning worked very well, which can be critical during the Madrid summer. The glazing on the windows was great and I never heard a sound from the busy street below. The people at the front desk were fine, though the women tended to be a little friendlier than the guys.

The only real negative of the room was a slight odor at times, which the management seems be aware of based on responses to some previous reviews. Apparently it has something to do with broken pipes it is trying to get permission from the city to fix. In the meantime, I would suggest they get a few room deodorizers and place them in the bathrooms. That should do the trick as the smell is not that strong. The only thing about the hotel I really did not like was no one at the reception desk from 23:00-7:00. During those hours there is only a security person at the front door. One night I left my key in the room as I left the hotel a little after 11:00, and getting the security person to understand and help me was bit difficult (luckily I found someone at the front desk working a little late). I wonder what happens if someone has to check in very late in as a result of a delayed flight or something.

Overall, I think this a great option for central Madrid for those on a bit of a budget.

Room Tip: Go for the superior doubles.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KeithLafayette
Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2012

the hotel stands on a main rambla, with pedestrian traffic at all times, making us feel very safe. Rooms are average but in tandem with the price. Very friendly people at the front desk. i would definetely recommend them. we had a room on the 2nd floor with double glass window so we did not hear the loud crowd on the street despite the celebrations for the Copa del Rey final.
There is also a terrace on the 9th floor with gorgeous view from Madrid.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This was one of the best places I have stayed. Very modern, clean and, helpful. The staff was very nice and had all the answers to my questions. The metro station is right outside the front door. It's on a main street so you are never too far away from shops and restaurants. We had a corner room and it was amazing. Our fellow travelers booked a standard room and it was well appointed as well. Great opening doors to the outside and the AC is wonderful with Madrid being so hot. The rooftop deck is amazing day and night. Very relaxing to have a drink and read. The walls were thick we couldn't hear anything. The bathroom doors were not a problem in either of our two rooms because they have been frosted over.
The donuts and coffee for one euro and the free internet were great deals.
Some cons were the elevator took forever and there was only one due to other being broke. The ladies of the night took some getting used to, they don't bother you at all. No need for concern. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest,
We are very to hear about your experience with us, we hope you could come and visit us again soon.
Kindest regards
NY
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Rooms are newly renovated but stink like a sewage plant. View out of our room to the courtyard which isn t much more than an elevator shaft, dirty and full of rubbish. We had to sleep with the airicon running on high for the whole night due to the stink. The roof terrace is nice but the staircase is not lit up (no lights at all , not the light turned of !!) which resulted in me missing one step despite all cautions straining my ankle. Next morning I wanted to make a phone call to the airline we were flying out but Juan, an extremely unfriendly and rude receptionist simply refused me the use of the phone at the reception. He told me to go outside and use a public phone boot instead. I walked the distance of nearly 200 meters and found three phone boots all not working. Made my way back to the Hotel with my ankle hurting like … and asked again Juan if I could use the phone for a quick call to the airline office at the airport. He again refused to assist and told that if I have to make a phone call this is not his problem but my problem. Finally a colleague of his came and she gave me the phone without any question. Juan however told me after about a minute using the phone that he needs the phone back as some one might try to call the hotel (they have only one phone in the whole reception area? Juan was the most rude and impolite reception staff I have ever met in 35 years of travelling. Considering the situation on the Spanish unemployment market he should be more worried!

This was the first and last time I ever stayed at this hotel or that I have made a booking through AGODA.

Room Tip: IF you decide to stay there despite what we had to go throug ask for a room towards the street side...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bapu54
, Director General at Praktik Metropol, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I am very surprised for this comment. I apologize for the inconveniences you found, well the treatment received. Be sure that we have already taken the appropiate measures with the recepcionist. He never has made anything like this before. We are sorry that because of this misunderstanding your experience with us was not good.
Praktik Metropol is exactly as the guests may expect, and according with our scores in different websites like trip advisor, 95% of guests leave the hotel totally satisfied.
Some rooms have back view to an interior courtyard, and that's why they are cheaper. But we always specify this. The views are not from our building, are from another building being out of our control.
We hope you could reconsider your opinion and came back to visit us again.
Kindest regards