“Great residence, great location, super great price.”
Review of Hostal La Fontana

Hostal La Fontana
Ranked #43 of 282 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was hesitant about this place because of the very reasonable price compared to others around it. Took a chance and am glad I did. People were lovely, the room was clean and comfy and I was in walking distance to everything I wanted to see.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I can be pretty direct so I spoke to the owner about the negative remarks. He could've chosen not to answer, but he did. I believe him. Remember, you cannot believe everything you read. I'm glad we decided to give this place a chance. It is clean, well decorated, and super close to Gran Via metro stop so location is prime. The owner even showed us where he kept his nicely folded towels. He definitely had nothing to hide. It was nice talking to him. Also, the room type we had booked was occupied so he gave us a room with our own bathroom at no extra charge. I will say we were able to hear the guests in the next room, but most hostels have thin walls. From all the hostels that we have stayed in while in Madrid, this has been our favorite. If you are just too darn picky then you need to stay in a hotel and pay 4 times the price. Actually, I have stayed in hotels that were not as nice as this hostel.

Room Tip: My room # was 112.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dmlopez
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I would say this is more of a guesthouse than a hostel. I stayed for 3 nights, check in was smooth and simple and the man was very pleasant.
The room was attractive and had everything i needed and was very clean.
The location of this hostel is perfect. Right by Gran via metro and close to Sol and Plaza Mayor. even the royal palace is within walking distance.
I don't usually comment on noise but felt i have to on this occasion. It's an old building so the walls are paper thin, maybe some carpet in the hallway would combat the noise of people walking back and forth. However the main problem was the bar downstairs. On my last night their pumping music was still going strong at 0545 and the music is loud in the rooms.
Also despite my booking confirmation saying breakfast was included there was no mention of breakfast upon check in or at all throughout my stay.
Wasn't a problem as the reviews on here said it wasn't great but still would have been nice if it were mentioned.
All in all though a great say for very cheap in the centre of Madrid.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dollyloulondon
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed at La Fontana for one week while I was looking for a permanent place to stay here in Spain (I'm a student doing an exchange program here). As my budget is fairly tight, I wasn't expecting much from such a cheap place, but I truly was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and nicely decorated with a private toilet and towels etc. included.

The personnel is really friendly. Some of the workers there helped me buy a subway subscription, and the Italian owner even carried the bags into my room upon arrival. The hotel is really located in the heart of Madrid. You have a three minutes walk to Puerta del Sol, four minutes to Plaza de España and five to Plaza Mayor. It's basically located 50 meters from the big avenue that goes straight through Madrid; Gran Vía.

There are a lot of bars and restaurants on the parallel streets (Fuencarral and Hortaleza), which means that there can be some noise in the night from the nightlife if you have an exterior room, but there are two pretty thick doors that you can close in front of the windows that help a lot. I wasn't bothered that much and I was able to get seven night of good sleep (in an exterior room).

The breakfast included (note: Spanish breakfast) was at a bar just outside on the street.

When my friends and family come to visit me here in Madrid, I tell them all to stay there. It's really worth the money for such a central and friendly place.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Robbie M
Reviewed 15 February 2013

On my third trip to Madrid, I was looking for an alternative to a hostel, but still within my budget and at walking distance to all attractions as well as easy access to the airport. It was a stone throw from Gran Via, across from MacDonald, I found Hostalm La Fontana. I rang the bell and was admitted instantly. As soon as I met the owner and saw one of the rooms with two single beds, private bathroom, balcony looking down the street and the room was tastefully decorated and spaceous, I immediately put down a deposit for my return trip to Madrid. We had two delightful nights here and enjoyed the adventure of looking for the cafeteria the manager sent us for breakfast (which was included) in the morning. The hostal was clean, quiet and service was friendly. We were able to come back for rests, refreshed with hot showers before ventured out again for another outings. We felt very safe walking back at night after a late dinner. The biggest surprise was that we paid the same in a hostel with bunk beds. I highly recommend to anyone who wants to see Madrid on foot.

Room Tip: choose a room that is spaceous for your need.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Maria W
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Stayed here for three days, luxury it's not but if you just want a cheap room with ensuite this is the place. Could not get a better location for the price, 200yds from gran via metro 10 min walk to the main squares. The owner was very helpful and could answer all our questions on getting to places of interest, mainly on foot because everything was so close. I stayed here with 2 friends all in the same room no problems as we only needed the room to sleep in, beds were comfortable a bit small but served the purpose. Would stay here again.yes the rooms and bathrooms are dated and small but clean. The free breakfast at next doors cafe is not worth getting excited about but there are plenty of bars about if you want something more substantial.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the small internal courtyard, heard nothing all night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank scan
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Hostel La Fontana is the best place. I can recomand you with safety because evrething in very good. The personal is very amable it is very clean ( the bathroom, the bed linen, the towels ).The rooms are beautiful ,very nice arraged with evrethig what you need.This trip was the best because i had a good place and i am going to back certainly in the same hostal.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family