“Great!”

Ranked #152 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Minneapolis, MN
“Great!”
Reviewed 2 November 2007

My stay at this hotel was great! The staff was very friendly and the hotel was very conveniently located, but set on a side street, which helped lower the noise level that is The free internet was also a plus. The manager was very kind and helpful, and even tolerated my mediocre attempts at Spanish (unusual for Spaniards).

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank sonjeroo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2007

This lovely hotel was a GEM in Madrid. Situated in the Opera section of the city, we were in close proximity to the Royal Palace and many historic sights. Thanks to some negative comments about hotels in the nearby areas, we found HOTEL MENINAS. We are so lucky we did. We were upgraded to room 501. The room was a suite with all the modern conveniences. In the lobby was free internet for guests. The small size (37 rooms) made this a quaint oasis in a large city. Nearby were several Tapas bars and fine restaurants. We travel a great deal and this was wonderful!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryGoody
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2007

I stayed at this hotel for three nights in September from the 14th to the 17th. The hotel was brilliant and couldn't do enough for us. We travelled extremely early on the Friday morning and the check in was extremely quick.

I had read a couple of reviews before I went that said that the hotel was noisy. The rooms are in fact soundproofed so it is not the sound from the adjoining rooms that you hear but noise from the corridor. We weren't too bothered about this as we had travelled to madrid to experience the amazing nightlife it has to offer. Maybe if you were wanting an early night or were light sleepers this hotel wouldn't be for you.

This hotel is set in the heart of madrid with everything you could wish on your doorstep. The rooms are extremely modern and minimalistic. The staff are more than helpful and the breakfast good. All in all an amazing hotel for anyone who wishes to sample the nightlife and also see a bit of the true character of Madrid during the day.

• Liked — The clean, modern minimalistic rooms in the very heart of madrid
  • Disliked — The room size could have been larger
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank samjoy123
Taiwan
Reviewed 22 July 2007

The worst staff I have ever met, mischarged, bad attitude and didn't respect their customer at all.

I made a reservation directly from the website of the hotel Meninas, 3 nights June 28th-July 1st. Due to some reason I had to change my reservation to July 1st for just one night, so I called the hotel. When the lady heard me talking in English she put me on hold. Quite a few minutes went by and I could hear she wasn't talking to any one and just put my phone on the desk, I said hello for several times but
she didn't answer. I was calling from overseas costing a lot so I hung up and called again, as soon as she heard that it was me again she hung up without saying anything, then I kept calling for at least 12 times ( not exaggerating) and she hung up every single time. At last a man picked up, so I talked to him and he transfered to the lady again. I said "please don't hang up" for 3 times and finally she talked. She didn't speak English well, I had to say the same things several times, and spelled my name 3 times. Finally she changed my reservation on Saturday. I had her repeat my final reservation and she even said "don't worry, it is fine now." I made an mistake didn't get her name and ended the call.

When I arrived, they told me I was being charged because of no show, and of course my reservation was canceled. Turned out she never changed my reservation. I explained the situation and they told me it was not possible because they didn't accept any change of reservation via phone, every employee knew that so I must be wrong. I told them exactly when I called, what happened, and they just kept saying it was not possible, and refused to tell me who was the lady that day. In the end, no one was in charge of this problem, of course, and the manager gave me a card told me to talked to the Director - Pedro Alonso Gimeno- on Monday, July 2nd.

I wasn't in Madrid so I had to call him (wasting lots of money again). The first call I didn't even finish talking he said something extremely fast, which I didn't understand a word, and hung up! I called again told him to listen, and this time he knew what happened, but during the whole time he wouldn't let me talk at all, he always spoke when I was talking, never listened, kept saying the same thing- this was not possible, and he CHOSE TO BELIEVE HIS EMPLOYEE, MEANT I WAS LYING. He didn't even check with the person who worked that day and just said that.

I also wrote an email about every detail of my reservation and what happened, but I never got any answer, nor any phone call. My credit card was charged on June 28th, when I was still in the airplane.

This is a hotel full of people who don't respect their customers at all. I strongly recommend everyone DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL MENINAS.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — staff attitude
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
10 Thank shuyi
Centralia
Reviewed 3 May 2007

I usually only post positive reviews, however-I don't want this to happen to anyone else
WARNING I have stayed at many center of Madrid hotels in my last 20+ visits in 5 yrs. I have stayed right on the Grand Via several times, the noisiest area if your hotel does not have sound proofing. I chose Meninas as I knew the small side street they were located off of Plaza Opera. My reservation was made several weeks prior, with a request for a quiet room off the street and a bath. I arrived, and was given the last room in the hotel, which was directly one floor up from the street, directly above reception/entrance, and only a non-enclosed shower with a promise I could move in the AM.
I tried the room-the noise was unbelievable-alternating between football match cheering and disco-directly outside. I'd spent a long work week prior with little sleep, and begged to move to another hotel. Was told I could for one night but then would have to move back to a different room. I decided to stick it out-but after that night I spent the morning packing my bags as no way could I go thru another night sounding like I was sleeping on the street. I dearly love Madrid, I love noisy happy Spaniards-this was too much.
Decided to NOT bother changing rooms as was told they only had ONE room with a bath in the entire hotel and it was taken-I moved to another hotel. Website does not reflect 'showers' only.

UPSIDE-the boutique hotel has great potential! It is nicely decorated, new amenities, clean, good location. All they need is to invest in exterior sound proof shutters like Hotel Preciados-located in an extremely noisy area off Gran Via, but so quiet when exterior shutters are closed. Old syle windows and wood shutter charm is still preserved. Baths would be a welcome plus for tired travelers. Meninas Staff was pleasant.

If you are late night partier, like to be part of the action and don't mind loud street noise all night-go for it. Be aware that other lodgers will be slamming doors in the loud corridor at 8AM and you'll hear every word of their conversation.

Love tripadvisor! Always helps me make great choices in hotels!

• Liked — Boutique Style, new funishings, clean and great location
  • Disliked — NOISE, with no options for improvement in room choices. Only one bathtub in all hotel.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
13 Thank Catherine K
Chicago
Reviewed 18 August 2006

A friend and I spent three very enjoyable nights at Las Meninas in early August. The rate proved to be a great value. Buffet breakfast was extra, but worth the money with an excellent variety of breads, cold cuts, cheese and pastries, as well as tortilla.
The staff was helpful and friendly on every occasion. The AC in our room stopped working at some point during our first day there and the front desk staff quickly moved us to another room even though it was almost midnight. They always helped us with questions regarding places to shop, eat, buy stamps, get the metro, etc.
Our room had a street view and was stocked with the amenities that should be provided by a boutique hotel. Bathroom was spacious and the sleeping area was above average for a small European hotel. Beds were comfortable, there was an ample closet, and the room and bathroom were spotless. There was some noise from the street, but the wooden shutters muffled most of it.
Bonus points: The hotel has a contract with a transportation service to the airport which provides a much lower rate than other shuttle services, guests have free Internet access in the lounge off of the reception area, and rooms come with DVD players that can be used to watch movies the hotel has in stock. I highly recommend Las Meninas.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
14 Thank Almendarez
London
Reviewed 22 March 2006

The rooms seen on the website and the general feeling (incl location) made this an appearantly great destination. All is new & in great condition, no complaints about cleanliness etc.

Unfortunately, all double rooms (with double bed) are in shoe-box like dark rooms with windows that should not be called windows. (they look to the inner box that is not even a courtyard & the blinds are hideous).

Altogether, great design in the entrance hall, funky and lots of colours. The designer however missed to create any kind of welcoming feeling in the hotel rooms themselves.

It felt dark, and not inspiring. Not advisable for a romantic holiday.

However, all staff and esp. the manager were very understanding and helpful and announced they have plans to change the layout of the rooms, i.e. put double beds in the nicer bigger rooms (which only have twin beds for now).

Again, great location. Atmosphere missing.

• Stayed March 2006