“Good enough”

Petit Palace President Castellana
Ranked #119 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 8 August 2013

If you don't expect a lot from a hotel and you are only interested in the city, it is a very good option. The hotel is next to a metro station, almost in the city center and close the Serrano area which is very chic and residential. The interior desing of the building and the rooms is fine, but don't expect a very technologic hotel like it sounds. The bed was very comfortable, but the breakfast wasn't as we expected. The staff is friendly, but their english level was not sufficient, since i speak Spanish i could comminicate with them otherwise it would be difficult.
A last tip; please try the restaurant called ''El Padre'' which is 2 blocks away from the hotel, you will love it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Victoria G, Online sales department at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear client,

Thank you very much for you comment about our Hotel Petit Palace President.

We will bear in mind your comment about breakfast and technology and we will do our best to improve in these issues.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The location of the hotel is very good, close to main roads, but pretty quit. There are several subway stations in walking distance (300-400 m) all around.

The reception lady was fast and has spoken good English. To get the internet access you need a code from the reception, so ask for it already by check-in.

The room was not really big, but with very modern furniture, even with a notebook computer if you did not bring your own. Beds and pillows were pretty hard, but it is something that I am used to in Spanish hotels. Air conditioning worked well, but all electrical devices are shut down if you pull the card from the slot, so use spare card to keep the room cool if you are going out. Otherwise you will come back in a very hot room and spend a sweaty night. The room had a safe with credit card (or any other card with magnet stripe) coding, and the safe was big enough for 15" (or even 17") notebook.

The bathroom had all possible utilities, even toothbrush and shaving kit, so if you forget your own ones, everything is there. The bathroom was also very modern, but not really practical (no possibility to hang towels close to bathtub, no place for soap at wash-bowl).

The most disappointing thing in the hotel was internet connection, and this was the main reason why I have booked the hotel (well, a high tech hotel should have perfect Wi-Fi). The connection was slow and with a lot of interrupts on my both devices, so instead of work in the hotel, I decided to go back to office.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Gerente at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear guest;

We are glad that our hotel has fallen short of your expectations and we deeply regret the inconvenience encountered with the slow wiffi, we are in process of seeking a satisfactory solution, that it happens when there are too many clients making heavy downloads at once.

Your feedback helps us to improve every day and we really appreciate the time you have taken to inform us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon in our establishment.

Warmest regards.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is that it is in a pleasant area. The hotel itself is dark, gloomy, grubby and feels pretty seedy.

I had the misfortune to be booked in there for 5 nights on a business trip, and the bed was so uncomfortable I was exhausted by the end of the trip. I just could not sleep on the thin, hard mattress and pillows.

Don't expect to be able to iron your clothes, either. You will have to ask for an iron, and you'll get an old thing with one of those tiny table-top ironing boards from Ikea - with nowhere sensible to plug it in in the room. I ended up having to leave my clothes for the laundry service to be ironed , but despite leaving the clothes in the laundry bag, on the bed, with the filled-in form on top of the bag, housekeeping did not realise that it needed to be taken.
I had a water from the mini bar and that was never replaced either.

Never again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest;

We deeply regret that our establishment was not to your liking.

We note your comments and try to improve in all those who we can, as changing griddle's tables by others more larger and comfortable to use.

We have different types of pillows, we apologize for can not correct it immediately, if we had transmitted it directly, we could have changed it by one of greater height.

We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to inform us of their problems, they help us much.

Regards

Reviewed 17 May 2013

After my original hotel (Petit Palace Plaza Lealtad) overbooked I was sent (reluctantly) to spend the night in this hotel. In brief it was awful. I arrived late and the lobby area was dark and looked dirty. The check in was quick but the staff didn't even point out where to get the lift. The hotel overall was very dark. My room was ugly, with a stupid pillar in the middle of the room. The bed cover had a tear and stain on it and the pillows were rock hard. I couldn't sleep there.

The next morning they tried to charge me full price (very overpriced!) for the room and an argument followed. The receptionist's response was "it's not my fault". Whilst this was true it was neither my fault but I seemed to be the only one inconvenienced by "Petit Palace Hotels" mix up. I can't speak for all staff in the hotel but the service and attitude I received was shocking.

Unless you want to stay in a dark and dirty looking hotel I would avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank finstock
Victoria G, Online Sales Department at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear guest,

Fist of all, we appreciate your comments, we will bear them in mind and we will do our best to improve our service. We regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I can assure you we put every effort into meeting your needs and we are committed to quality, both in cleaning and maintenance. Even if the rooms are clean and available days before your arrival, they are daily reviewed, if it was not so in your case, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may experience.

I do entirely understand why you were upset. What the receptionist wanted to express to you was that she understood your unhappiness and the inconvenience caused by staying in a hotel which was not the one you had initially chosen, but that she could do nothing in that respect. Unfortunately she did not know how to express herself properly.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2013

The hotel is well located in the central part of Madrid, close to transit and within walking of many good restaurants, tourist areas, and shops. The room was well equipped and laid out (except that my safe wouldn't lock), however there was no iron, and the bathroom is looking a bit worn and tired. The staff were exceptionally nice, the food was delicious, but the internet stunk. I could not get the wifi to work for me and the plug in internet was painfully slow. I was here for a meeting and meeting facilities were good overall but a bit cramped. There is no gym here but they have a deal with a nearby Reebok fitness facility for 15 Euro a day. Overall more good than bad here (and beware the rock hard bed if you don't like firm mattresses!).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Gerente at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write and send us your feedback, it helps us to improve. We are glad to know you enjoyed our location and services. However, we do apologize for the inconveniences caused by the wifi conection. We inform you that we fixed it immediately.

Kind regards,
Mª Prado Nombela | General Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Booked the hotel for a 2 day conference and overall it was a good choice. All of the staff were very helpful and polite, particularly Sonia who went out of her way to help us - no request was too much trouble for her and everybody commented on this. Food was good, rooms clean and comfortable though not too keen on the ambient lighting. The only major flaw was the awful wi-fi which just did not deliver. As we were holding a workshop we need access to the internet and this was just impossible. This alone would question my booking the same hotel again for a meeting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Gerente at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Roger,

We appreciate the time you took to write your comment and sorry for the inconvenience. Your feedback helps us to improve our services.

We are glad to know that our hotel and services were to your liking. However, please, accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that may be caused by the Wi-Fi connection. We inform you that we fixed it immediately.

Hoping you would be able to visit us again, I reiterate my apologies.

Best regards.
Mª Prado Nombela | General Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I travel to Madrid regularly on business and although the High Tech President is not my first choice, neither am I particularly disappointed when I stay there. The service is very friendly, the bathroom is fine (good shower, no bath). WiFi worked fine, TV had lots of channels and the bed was nice and firm. Breakfast mildly disappointing but not very different from competing hotels in the area. I like the location, handy for a few bars and restaurants close by. The lifts are a bit slow and I'm not a big fan of this chain's corridor lighting scheme but nor does it bother me excessively. One thing I did think was strange - the combination of children's bunk beds and decorative photos of naked people in the same room...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Online Sales Department at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear guest:

Thanks to inform to our staff and to Tripadvisor user´s about your stay and experience in High Tech President Castellana .
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope you find the time to return to Madrid and stay with us again, you will be very welcome!

Best regards