“You get what you pay for”

Petit Palace President Castellana
Ranked #127 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for business for one night. For a hotel in such a central location we got a great rate at Euro 85 per night. But the hotel didn't meet expectations. No gym, a mattress as hard as a wooden board, and a shower where the shower head was broken and I couldn't adjust the temperature. Hence my verdict: Won't stay there again. On the positive side: It was clean and staff was friendly.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I spent 2 nights in High Tech President Castellana. When I read the previous comments, my first concern was internet connection. During my stay internet was working perfectly well. Coverage was great and connection never lost. I was also pleased with the location of the hotel. Nearest metro station is Colon and from there it takes around 4, 5 minutes on foot. Main streets on two opposite sides of the hotel are elegant and you enjoy walking there.

Coming from its name, hotel furnished with a modern design. Size of the room is fair enough. Tiles of the bathroom and bath tube are very clean. I did not have any complain about the bathroom. Safe in the room was working properly. There are laptops inside of the rooms which surprised me. On the other hand I wasn't happy with the beds. It was too hard and too narrow. Unfortunately you cannot sleep so comfortable. However this didn't effect my visit significantly. Secondly I had a discontent from the air conditioning. It works really noisy and it does not have thermostat. So it works whole night and room gets either too hot or too cold. Third, our window did not have any scene. It was looking to internal hall of the building which also makes inside darker.

Apart from that, I enjoyed variety of the breakfast. It was good enough. You can easily find cheese variety, egg, sausage, yogurt, fruit juices etc.

Depending on the price performance, I would decide whether I stay here again or not.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Writing this review while still at the hotel room! Overall nothing special but... Got a smelly room and the beds... OMG, never saw beds so hard, lets see if I can walk tomorrow morning. Staying in Madrid for a couple of days but going to change hotel tomorrow. Wifi is so slow that made me wondering if it's to force people giving up writing bad reviews. It's not download slow, it's waiting ages for google to give you an answer kinda of slow. Staff couldn't do much, seems like they are used to the complaints, they showed me another room but same thing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Online sales department at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We regret, however, that certain details were not entirely to your liking. With this in mind we would like to inform you that we take note of each and every guest´s complaints always with the aim of improving.

Warmest regards.
Reviewed 14 September 2013

One night as part of a business stay in Madrid. Location was very good for my office but also central to shopping and eating. You would be well placed for a leisure visit which does make it an affordable good option. Staff were very nice, efficient and spoke excellent English. Hotel had a modern look with its dark (maybe too dark) feel and scattering of blue neon look lighting embedded in the floor or under furniture. When you get up close though the rooms and decor are a little tired. Room was large - king bed and bunk beds. Bed was firm but comfortable. Air conditioning was not working or had been set to a high temperature - I could make the fan blow hotter but not cool down. I guess I was not alone given the amount of rooms with their windows thrown wide open. Bathroom clean and a decent shower with a good range of toiletries. Television was OK but sometimes dropped channels and picture quality was poor at times. The in room laptop (nice idea) didn't work. Biggest issue by far (important to me but may not be an issue for all) as others have said the wifi is terrible. I am not sure I buy the fact that it is peak load by other guests - thanks to my hot night I tried it at all hours just to pass the time. It doesn't hold the connection and performance is bad. In fairness to staff I didn't complain about aircon and wifi - at one night for business I only I just lived with it. Would I stay again? Probably not on my top 5 for Madrid. Should you try it? If the price is right for you and the location is what you need I am sure you could do worse but my sense is there is better out there.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear client,

We will bear in mind your comment about wifi and aircon and we will do our best to improve in these issues.

Ultimately, we work to please our guests and their opinions are what always guide us in doing so.

Kindest regards.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 August 2013

If you don't expect a lot from a hotel and you are only interested in the city, it is a very good option. The hotel is next to a metro station, almost in the city center and close the Serrano area which is very chic and residential. The interior desing of the building and the rooms is fine, but don't expect a very technologic hotel like it sounds. The bed was very comfortable, but the breakfast wasn't as we expected. The staff is friendly, but their english level was not sufficient, since i speak Spanish i could comminicate with them otherwise it would be difficult.
A last tip; please try the restaurant called ''El Padre'' which is 2 blocks away from the hotel, you will love it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear client,

Thank you very much for you comment about our Hotel Petit Palace President.

We will bear in mind your comment about breakfast and technology and we will do our best to improve in these issues.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards.
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The location of the hotel is very good, close to main roads, but pretty quit. There are several subway stations in walking distance (300-400 m) all around.

The reception lady was fast and has spoken good English. To get the internet access you need a code from the reception, so ask for it already by check-in.

The room was not really big, but with very modern furniture, even with a notebook computer if you did not bring your own. Beds and pillows were pretty hard, but it is something that I am used to in Spanish hotels. Air conditioning worked well, but all electrical devices are shut down if you pull the card from the slot, so use spare card to keep the room cool if you are going out. Otherwise you will come back in a very hot room and spend a sweaty night. The room had a safe with credit card (or any other card with magnet stripe) coding, and the safe was big enough for 15" (or even 17") notebook.

The bathroom had all possible utilities, even toothbrush and shaving kit, so if you forget your own ones, everything is there. The bathroom was also very modern, but not really practical (no possibility to hang towels close to bathtub, no place for soap at wash-bowl).

The most disappointing thing in the hotel was internet connection, and this was the main reason why I have booked the hotel (well, a high tech hotel should have perfect Wi-Fi). The connection was slow and with a lot of interrupts on my both devices, so instead of work in the hotel, I decided to go back to office.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Victoria G, Gerente at Petit Palace President Castellana, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear guest;

We are glad that our hotel has fallen short of your expectations and we deeply regret the inconvenience encountered with the slow wiffi, we are in process of seeking a satisfactory solution, that it happens when there are too many clients making heavy downloads at once.

Your feedback helps us to improve every day and we really appreciate the time you have taken to inform us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon in our establishment.

Warmest regards.

Mª Prado Nombela | Directora
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is that it is in a pleasant area. The hotel itself is dark, gloomy, grubby and feels pretty seedy.

I had the misfortune to be booked in there for 5 nights on a business trip, and the bed was so uncomfortable I was exhausted by the end of the trip. I just could not sleep on the thin, hard mattress and pillows.

Don't expect to be able to iron your clothes, either. You will have to ask for an iron, and you'll get an old thing with one of those tiny table-top ironing boards from Ikea - with nowhere sensible to plug it in in the room. I ended up having to leave my clothes for the laundry service to be ironed , but despite leaving the clothes in the laundry bag, on the bed, with the filled-in form on top of the bag, housekeeping did not realise that it needed to be taken.
I had a water from the mini bar and that was never replaced either.

Never again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest;

We deeply regret that our establishment was not to your liking.

We note your comments and try to improve in all those who we can, as changing griddle's tables by others more larger and comfortable to use.

We have different types of pillows, we apologize for can not correct it immediately, if we had transmitted it directly, we could have changed it by one of greater height.

We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to inform us of their problems, they help us much.

Regards