“Nice place for a low budget in Madrid”
Review of Hostal Felipe V

Hostal Felipe V
Ranked #300 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Nice place for a low budget in Madrid”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Me and my wife spent a few days at this hostel and were absolutely satisfied with it. Its is well located steps from the subway and a few blocks from Puerta del sol and it's surropundings. Service is very good also.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramarito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Granada, Spain
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel and woke up to find that I had been bitten about 20 times by bed bugs on my legs. This was confirmed by both a pharmacist and a doctor. The hotel may appear to be clean but the mattress and bed linen were old. The room smelt musty and the bathroom was tiny and could have been cleaner. I left the hotel after just one night and in the morning I requested an official complaints form. The member of staff I spoke to said she didn't know where they were and was generally very unhelpful and unapologetic. I plan to take this matter further and contact the relevant authorities since a) failing to provide a complaints form when requested is illegal in Spain and b) bed bug infestation is a serious problem that puts public health at risk. I was still charged for the room despite my complaints, which I find totally unacceptable and so I am following this up with the manager this week. I would strongly encourage anyone to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank MDS D
ELRESPETOSEGANA, Propietario at Hostal Felipe V, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
This comment and its content is considered defamatory, abusive, insulting and completely untrue.

This lady stayed only one night (arrived at 23 pm and left early 8 am, publishes this commentary damages our reputation and image as it is completely false. Our facility meets all health rules laid down.
We are trying to think as they travel free at any time wanted to teach us anything about it, and she only wanted insitía ell when someone complains should not be charged for the room, so we understand that it is a form of free travel and that must be used to doing. For us it is a persona non grata and notify all the hotels that are not staying in their establishments this person.

No consent to these comments, and we have taken our measures. We regret that there are people who want to defame establishments with a strong reputation and can not do anything about it in online reputation.

Passengers should look at positive feedback most guests staying. We have a score of 8.5 / 10 for booking especially cleaning and treatment of staff and score 5/5 in Budget places.

We are very upset knowing that both the central reservation as others do not contrast these views that leave us completely helpless.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I've stayed for 4 days in a single room, with AC, private bathroom, towels, and everything.
The staff was really helpful, Wifi worked really well in my room, the metro station Gran Via is really close to the building. The continental breakfast costed 4,50E, but I did not try it ...
The room had enough space for everything, with dresser, locker and a huge bed.
If you want a place to hang out and meet people, maybe it is not the best choice. I did not see any other guest during my stay.
I only do not give 5 stars because they do not have any late check out policy, reason why I had to pay an extra day, because my flight back home only departed in the middle of the night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Derby
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is the 3rd time I've stayed here and I would not consider choosing anywhere else in Madrid. The location is unbeatable - Madrid is very compact and this spot on Gran Via is beautiful and right in the middle of everything, being only seconds from Gran Via Metro. The rooms are light, airy, brightly decorated and maintained to a very good standard. The bathrooms are a little small and in some rooms arranged a tad bizzarely, but you have to remember it is an old and very tastefully restored building adapted to house a number of hotels. Cleanliness is taken very seriously by the cheerful maids, and everyone from the owner to the night-porter is friendly, helpful and makes you feel welcome. The hotel is not 'basic' as described in other reviews and everything you could possibly want is right on your doorstep 24/7. If you prefer warm, friendly, cosy and being made to feel like you're staying with friends to the cold, clinical hotel chains - this place is for you. I will definately be back!

Room Tip: For great views ask for a room on Gran Via, for a silent, peacful night ask for a room on teh side s...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank stevex1966
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This is a very basic hotel in a great location for a reasonable price. The room provides the bare minimum, but with a comfortable bed and is very clean compared to most hotels of the same price level in Spain. The hotel is family run and not advertised well, so it seems to be rarely booked by US patrons - but its friendly staff and great location should make it a good choice for anyone interested in a good deal. The area is very busy, but very central, with public transport just two blocks away. Unfortunately some seedy areas are also close by, and petty crime is rampant throughout this particular neighborhood. However, there is security in the multilevel building, which houses many other small hotels and bed and breakfasts (Felipe V is on an upper floor it shares with a few other hotels). You should select this hotel if you want a simple clean room to sleep in and not much else. If you seek any amenities, it may prove too basic for you. We were OK with it, although I might opt for a bit more in a future stay in Madrid. Its perfect for students and those on a limited budget.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
wise_rita
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I participated in the Pueblo Ingles program and spent 2 nights, 1 week apart, in 2 different rooms. The hotel is literally 2 minutes from the easy-to-use Metro, Gran Via station.

The beds were not fancy, instead of 2 pillows there was 1 body pillow, which I didn't care for. They beds weren't particularly comfortable, either.

The bathrooms could have been cleaner as there were some mysterious black hairs in the corners on the floor. The bathroom in room 26 was comically small. The door could not open all the way because of the toilet.

Location was the most important factor to me so for that this hotel gets 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Despite being hard to find (only a sign in the doorway with about 12 other hostels indicates Hostel Felipe's location), I don't have a single bad thing to say about the hostel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The hostel was my home away from home as I stayed there three separate times during my trip to Spain, Portugal and Morocco, each time I returned I was greeted by name and a big smile. Such a nice change from impersonal hotel chains. The rooms were clean, but sparse. I suggest asking for a room overlooking Calle de la Reina instead of Grand Via. Grand Via is quite loud at night and only one window separates you from the noise. the back is much quieter and you have a small enclosed balcony with two sets of windows that really shut out any noise.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple