“Great price and location”

Students Hostel Luis Velez
Students Hostel Luis Velez
Ranked #167 of 412 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

My room was great! It had its own bathroom with towels and soap. There was wifi in the room and everything was very clean. It was a pretty quiet place to sleep, you could hear people moving around in. The morning but nothing terrible. It is walking distance to places to eat and hangout and get a drink. The staff is very friendly! This is a great safe place to stay while in Madrid, they even have a washer and dryer!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Calikatie89
There are newer reviews for Students Hostel Luis Velez

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hostel was brilliant. The staff were very friendly, the hostel was very clean. But THE superplus was the location, almost everything can be done within walking distance. I would recomend this to everyone, and if I ever go back to Madrid I will definatly stay in Students Hostel Luis Velez once more!
I must say that we had a room with private badroom.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

I was in spain for 2 weeks with a class on a study abroad. this was by far the worst place we stayed. the man that works reception was extremely rude. I was told he preferred spanish speakers so I spoke spanish to him and he refused to answer me in spanish. the rules are ridiculous, no food in the rooms, no showers after 11, no this and no that. we are adults here, not children. one night I went to the lobby to use the public computer and he made me leave saying that the computer was closed... although it was still on, I was very quiet, and he was right there anyways. pointless.
The showers are awful, and pretty much scalding hot. the water cuts off every 30 seconds and you have to keep pushing a button. did I mention that they are communal? oh, and unisex! awesome...
This last part might be specific to my experience, but I had a room on the corner of the 3rd floor, which had 2 windows. becausr it was july, we tried sleeping with the windows open to keep it cool in the room but it wasnt long before we realized sleeping wasnt even an option. the streets are SOOO incredibly loud. at one point we literally had a group of drunk kids outside screaming at the top of their lungs.. just to be loud. we heard them through closed windows and pull down shades. I didn't sleep a wink here.
I will say one good thing and that is the breakfast they provide. didnt get that anywhere else.
overall, dont stay here if you dont have to.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This hostel allows you to book a room for a great price for small groups of friends traveling together. The shared bathrooms and stay rooms are clean. You are right near a metro station and can easily get anywhere in the city (many places are with in walking distance). The only negative thing I could say about the place is that when you are first looking for it, it can be a bit difficult to find - you need to buzz into the building and there is no real signage outside - I flew in later at night and walked past the door of the building a few times.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed here last summer. Was pretty tough to find as its not located on ground level, so we ended up wandering the street aimlessly till we noticed a sign and buzzed to be let up!

Hostel itself is pretty basic. The rooms are old fashioned and quite cramped, but they were clean enough. The toilets and showers are in a shared communal area which didnt bother us too much. As is the kitchen area.

Internet is free, but consists of two very dated computers. The staff who worked there were friendly enough when they needed to be. One Spanish guy was a little frosty at times but was helpful when asked.

location was fantastic, the hostel is very central and within walking distance of most places. biggest downfall is the obvious noise that comes with this.

I always treat the PR people who try to drag you onto pub crawls with a degree of cynicism wherever I am in the world, but im glad they did because the pub crawl we went on turned out to be one of the best nights of our whole trip, so if your there to party then 100% do it.

If I was in Madrid again I could take or leave this hostel. However for the price it was very good and wouldnt have too many complaints about staying again in the same circumstances.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank johnnyabbs
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I went in the beginning of october 2012 with three of my girlfriends. We had no problem finding the hostel since on our way up to the road, without asking, people directed us towards the hostel.
The staff was very helpful and also very friendly with us even when we had a lot of questions to ask.
For 13 euros a night per person we took a private room, no bathroom, they gave us a 5 people room even if we were in 4. The room was on the corner of the building so we had a great view and a lot of light. The room couldn't have been cleaner, every morning they even come and clean the room, which is very unusual for a hostel. The bathroom was shared, 2 showers and one toilet, but it was never crowded and never had to wait.
The situation of the hostel is amazing! You are just between the east and west side of the city. We never took the metro because it only takes you about 10 minutes to go wherever you want to!
The hostel organizes soirées with a private group of people. One night it's tapas night with a private cook, the other a pub crawling night. All very economical. We only went to the flamenco night, 13 euros and you had a great private show, drinks included. They come and pick you up directly in the reception of the hostel and bring you to an ancient winery cave all set up for the show. The dancer was amazing and I can say the same about the singer and guitarist. All very friendly and the even held a Q&A time for us. I really recommend you give it a try, usually it costs between 30 or 60 euros!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yuna N
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 and thought this was one of the nicest, cleanest, most affordable hostels on our journey through Europe. We had a large room with a private bathroom, there is free wifi, and clean towels. It is situated in a safe location conveniently close to a lot of Madrid's famous tourist attractions and many restaurants and bars. I also recommend the free walking tour that the hostel advertises.The only complaint I have is that there is only a fan and no air conditioning, but it wasn't too hot in the room. Pleasantly surprised with this hostel and I highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family