“Great Location, would use again.”
Review of Hostal Los Alpes

Hostal Los Alpes
Ranked #35 of 412 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The location of this hotel is really good if you are travelling to Madrid for the first time. The hotel is located on a pedestrian precinct so you cannot be dropped off to the door. We used the Metro system from the airport which was easy. The nearest station (Grand Via) was 2 min walk. The hotel has a small reception, the dont speak great English, but we managed to muddle through. The room was cleaned everyday and was very clean, very basic but thats all we wanted. The catering in the hotel consists of a vending machine int he reception. It can be very noisy if you stay at the front, we noticed this in the mornings. The street performers start pretty early!!

You get what you pay for, great location clean but very baic accomodation. Suited us as we were there to watch the footballl, but if you wanted to impress someone with a great hotel I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JimSouthampton
There are newer reviews for Hostal Los Alpes

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Location is great, though can be difficult to find if you are on a taxi as the car cannot enter that street all the time, but at certain period of the day.

Close to the metro, plenty shops, bars and restaurants around.

The staff has extremely limited English skills and not much friendly.

Some rooms can be extremely small/tiny.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Trying to find this place can be quite difficult but it's in an amazing location right across the street from Michael Kors, centrally located near gran via!

Now that I got the positives out of the way let's get into the remainder of the review, all cons.

Cons:
IT'S LOUD. I mean LOUD. I'm not even sensitive to noise, I sleep through hurricanes /tornados/being kicked in the middle of the night. These walls are THIN.
You can hear everyone, and everything they are doing. Using the bathroom, showering, talking, their television. I was awoken every hour, leaving me miserable and exhausted each morning. Luckily we only were here 2 nights.

Upon arrival, we stood in the lobby looking stupid as a Spanish woman was speaking Spanish on the phone for 4 or 5 minutes to her friend while we waited. After she was done, but spoke no English (that's okay, we are in Espana!). What's not okay is her attitude. She got another gentleman to get us checked in and he gave us keys and all information in English.

I wanted to make reservations at a restaurant one night so I went to reception hoping to have the Male at the desk, but I got the Spanish woman. I could not convince her to let me use her phone, as the lobby pay phone was broken. So I found a guest to translate for me, and was told that she won't call the restaurant and that I'll have to find another phone outside on my own.
Upon check out, no one was there, dropped keys in a box.

Lovely.

No sleep. No English. No phone. No staff. No returning.

Ps. Mold on the shower curtain.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bradk_1749
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hostal was by far the noisiest place I have ever stayed. After reading other peoples reviews I made sure to book a room away from the street to reduce the noise from outside. Unfortunately the noise from outside was the quietest. The walls in this place are SO thin you can actually hear the people talking in the next room. We heard EVERYTHING. The shower made noise, the people in the hallway, literally everything. Woke up every hour in the night. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO NOISE.

The hostel itself was very clean. Room and bathroom were very small but what more can you really expect for so cheap. Woman behind the counter spoke no English and was extremely rude so try and avoid her. There is a nice man they works sometimes who speaks English.

Also this hostel is in the perfect location. Right in the middle of everything.

Overall location can't be beat but hostel leaves less to be desired.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

One of the best areas to stay in the beautiful city of Madrid (if not around Prado, etc or Plaza Mayor) The "hostal" was actually the 3 top floors of the building! One minus: the staff did not speak English, but one positive was that the decoration in the room was quite cute. Value for money: positive!

Room Tip: Try the coffee from the coffee machine in the hall: nice surprise!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hostal is a really good option to stay when visiting Madrid. It has an excellent location near Gran Vía and at walking distance from many touristic attractions. There are a lot of very nice places to eat nearby. It's very clean and staff is really friendly. The small room (for one person) has the basics but even it's quite alright.
I definitely would come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Location of this hostal is unbeatable. Just on the other side of the metro station and very close to great shopping places and eateries. Got up from the metro and look for Farmacia and take that alley, walk 50 metre and u will find it.

We stayed here as a couple for 3 nights in a double size room. The room has good wifi and the reception has one pc that is free to use from 9: 30- 23: 30. u can print ur boarding pass with a nominal price from there. Rooms were clean and bathroom was small but what u expect from a budget hostal. It was clean and not a problem for me. We booked a room with shower and bathroom but used common toilet as well as we arrived early. That one was very common too.

I was not impressed about the bed cover materials as it was dusty, it was because of the kind of materials. This is the only negative thing that I found about the hostal.

They don't have 24 hrs reception, but u get ur keys for entrance and room and you are quite independent. We checked out and kept the luggage in the luggage storage room but that was not a problem at all, because u just have to ring the bell and one of the housekeeper open the door, they stay some where in the building but not in the reception.

I would recommend this hostal but if u have allergy I would recommend to carry one bed cover with you.

Room Tip: Carry a piece of bed cover or light blanket to use at night if u r allergic to dust
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple