“Nice place to take a walk BUT BEWARE OF PIC POCKETS”

Jardines de Sabatini
Book In Advance
More Info
US$59.24*
and up
Madrid Small-Group Walking Tour Including Skip-the-Line Royal Palace Guided Tour
Ranked #55 of 770 things to do in Madrid
Littleton, Colorado
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Nice place to take a walk BUT BEWARE OF PIC POCKETS”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Like many places in Madrid, nice gardens to take a stroll on your way from point A to B, my husband has only been to 165 countries so he is travel wise, very skilled pick pockets, police have said this area of the city is particularly bad, they took a book and wallet out of deep backpack pocket...found a police station full of others with similar story

Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
London, UK
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 400 helpful votes
“Convenient and Free to Visit BUT Small, Not Very Peaceful and Not That Pretty”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I visited the Jardines de Sabatini as part of my 7 full-day visit to Madrid but didn't enjoy it very much at all. Had it not offered me protection from a short rain shower my visit there would have been completely pointless and unfulfilling !

---
I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Madrid and day trips to Toledo/Segovia, it is entitled 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

It is free to visit the Jardines de Sabatini and it is conveniently-located, just a short distance to the north of the Royal Palace (see my not very complimentary review !).

In my opinion, if you want a short sit-down 'break' in this area you are better off making your way to the just as close-by 'Plaza de Oriente' - it is more open, much prettier, has more decorative features and is no more noisy as it sits the same distance from the nearby busy roads etc.

I also felt that the Jardines de Sabatini were a bit 'seedy', with signs of people living/sleeping amongst the foliage areas....

The only caveat is if it is raining and you are seeking protection, as whilst Plaza de Oriente can offer a degree of 'protection' the tree coverage in the Jardines de Sabatini is much more dense and overhanging - this is one of the reasons why it is probably a popular 'residence' for some...!

So aside from a short 'pit-stop', if you want to see areas of greenery in the pleasant and vibrant city of Madrid I think you will have to move a little further afield as the Jardines de Sabatini do not really 'qualify' as a tourist attraction.

I suggest you try Retiro Park (Parque del Retiro) - which I didn't visit but see gets far more favourable reviews than the Jardines de Sabatini !

Visited October 2013
1 Thank LPWilliams
Malaga, Spain
3,175 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,117 helpful votes
“Beautiful Gardens”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Whenever we visit the Royal Palace, my wife and I like to take a short walk in the formal Gardens of Sabatini. The gardens were designed by Francesco Sabatini, an Italian architect of the 18th century who also worked on the designs of the Royal Palace. The gardens have the Neoclassic architecture, which is very good to see. There is also a statue of Alfonso VI.

Visited December 2013
edinburgh
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“nice gardens right next to the palace but be careful of pickpockets”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The gardens are small but lovely and there is no charge. Nice chilled place to sit in the sun. Beware of pick pockets as pick pockets tried to steal from a tourist couple whilst we were there. Like everywhere in the city be very vigilant

Visited November 2013
Campinas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Visit if you're walking by”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a well kept garden but with not a whole lot to see. If you're a garden fanatic you could probably enjoy it more than I did. In September there wasn't much to appreciate, also there were some parts of the garden closed due to constructions.

Visited September 2013