“Impressive design - but that's where it ends!”

Silken Puerta America
Ranked #113 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We booked this hotel because of the novelty of the differently designed floors and the attraction of the various architects / designers. After a 27€ cab ride from the airport, we were first booked into a Norman Foster room which was very nice - all glass and marble, but 2nd floor at the back so a disappointing view. It also only had a shower and we prefer a bath, so we asked to move and they were very accommodating, putting us on the 6th floor in a Marc Newson room. This was full of high gloss surfaces, grey leather and wood, with a nice big bathtub and a wall that folded away so you could make the bath become part of the bedroom. The public areas on each floor were also impressive, particularly the Zaha Hadid. (There is apparently a tour of the hotel that we would have liked to take, but no one told us about it.)
However this is where it ended as far as a good impression goes and for the following reasons I would not recommend the hotel and would not return.
My husband and I are in our fifties but perfectly presentable, neither badly dressed nor hideous and our kids allow us out. However there was a distinct air of scorn from the painfully fashionable, younger staff and other clients (not necessarily residents) when we dared to set foot in the bar and pool areas.
The rooftop bar is hugely expensive. For 30€ a cocktail I would expect them to know how to make a dry martini. My husband had to go and show them after we had waited half an hour and then they arrived completely wrong. (We were erroneously charged for mineral water and champagne, however, after complaining at check out, these drinks as well as the doomed martinis, were removed from our bill.)
If you don't manage to bag a sought-after tall stool next to the window with the sky view, you are relegated to sagging pouffes which are roughly 1 foot from the ground. You can therefore see nothing but the knees of the gorgeous, but surly, waitresses as they flounce by and you should allow a good five minutes to be able to get up again. The walls and ceiling are of flapping plastic so the feeling is one of being in a very noisy marquee at a wedding at which no one is speaking to you. The music is unrelentingly deafening Europop - rather than sultry & atmospheric Buddha Bar.
We had a very nice dinner in the smaller restaurant, as the "gourmet" one was closed on Sunday nights, that menu being very interesting, but also hugely expensive. We ate foie gras, mushroom risotto, tuna tartare and a perfect little hamburger, followed by balsamic-marinated strawberries with cheese ice-cream. It was delicious.
The rooftop floor also houses the pool, which, on first visit is very confusing. You exit the lift , thinking, as in a bad dream, that you have just walked into the bar in your bathrobe. However, a girl whose job it is to usher confused guests into the spa, rushes out from her post to usher confused guests into the spa. This also causes much smirking and derision from all supercilious onlookers. The pool is dark and somewhat gloomy with only 4 beds around it. The steam room and showers are nice.
The weather was gorgeous and a rooftop terrace or balcony would make this area much more appealing. In fact, having come from an exhausting day in Madrid one afternoon and just wishing to relax in the sun for a while, we were reduced to lying on the grass verge alongside the 3 lane highway outside the hotel, surrounded by dog mess! We have just returned from a 5* resort in Mauritius and I know that, had they seen 2 guests wandering around obviously looking for somewhere to sunbathe, they would have run out proffering sun beds and drinks. The staff here just stood and looked bemused.
The lift is programmed not to stop at guest rooms at certain times to accommodate the non-resident bar customers, who all come to spend their free drink tokens. This information is kept a mystery to guests however, who can regularly be witnessed frantically waving their room key in front of the light in an attempt to exit the lift at their floor. Sadly all to no avail. This, of course, causes further amusement and is probably put in place to enhance the evening of, the aforesaid stylista clientele.
The location is half way between the airport and the centre of Madrid. It is not a particularly appealing area. When we first checked in, the hotel lift was full of local kids joy riding. This did not say much for the security - who were probably too preoccupied with their reflection in the glass doors to notice.
There is a Metro 5 minutes walk away and the train system is very efficient and cheap. However it does become wearing when you are out all day and then return for a bath and to get dressed up for dinner, knowing that you have to face the journey twice more that evening. I would recommend very comfortable shoes. The Metro to the airport is 2€ per person and easy.
We did have a great time - Madrid is wonderful - and a sense of humour as well as reasonably robust self images saw us through at the hotel.
I get the feeling that if you wish to go and experience it for yourselves, you should make it reasonably soon. Just go on a diet first, adopt a sneer, wear black and you should be fine.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mexo
There are newer reviews for Silken Puerta America

Reviewed 9 December 2009

Fantastic hotel.
Obviously there is the style/architecture aspect. But the service was great. We needed a few things that we forgot, and the staff there was very quick to assist.
Room service/food very nice and prompt.
Rooms were clean and gorgeous.

The location is the only tiny bit of a con, but not really. I read before that its outside the city center, well yes it is. And yet from the Cartagena metro stop we were to the city center in less than 12-15 minutes top with one transfer on the metro. So I suppose if you cant take a 10 minute metro trip then yes its far away. Also, no free WI-FI which I was a bit disappointed with.

I would recommend, and would stay there again. Madrid is also incredibly beautiful, particularly at the holidays.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottiecallahan
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Everything they say about this hotel on their website is what you get, no need to mention anything about the rooms or design of the place other than if you don't like it you will never be pleased anywhere in the world.

Now there are two ways of doing things in this hotel, go for it or use the rest of Madrid to eat and drink. It's five star all the way and it's prices reflect that.

The deluxe rooms( like ours on floor 6 ) are shown as 840 Euro's per night in the hotel room guide and there is no doubt the Spanish elite pay that and the 12 - 14 Euros for a long drink and the 25 Euros for a full English breakfast if they like our food if not our style!

It was full of Spanish suited and booted and my fiance and I paid £360 for a three night stay including flights and taxes from good old Luton Airport ! Checking bang in at 2pm and out at 12pm with a night flight home! Last minute dot com we thank you and for a change Easy Jet !!

It was a romantic break as well as taking in Chelsea's game against Athletico Madrid and worth every penny, a real pukka place !!!

For the record the hotel is not that far out from the Centre of Madrid and the metro system is simple to understand, miles more efficient and cleaner than the London Underground and as cheap as peanuts. Be careful of pregnant ladies decoying for pickpockets though.

The cab from the Airport is 25 Euros, others who stayed in and around Sol paid 35 Euros, but the Metro runs every 3 mins and it costs 1 Euro from the Airport and 2 Euros including Airport supplement going back! Open from 600 am to 2330 pm the metro to and from the Airport is a massive saving for travelling on a budget even in this splendour!

Otherwise the Metro Link is open until 200 am, the stop at Cartagena is a stones throw from the hotel on Line 7 the Orange colour one! To get into the Centre of Madrid the stop is Sol on Line 2 the red coloured one!! They also have nightbuses a la London.

Basically it's 1 Euro on the metro until you get off. Simple and efficient ,pay at outset and you walk out at your destination. Or you can get a ten journey trip, ten outs we called it and it cost just over 7 euros. To be honest we never bothered with this for when you get to Sol everything is walkable - Madrids centre is ultra small.

From this hotel to Sol it's like stopping at Earls Court to get to Piccadily. Same time but a shorter distance.

It's also closer than Sol for Real Madrid's ground, bear this in mind for the Champions League Final Chelsea fans!!! Santiago Bernabeu on Line 9 the purple one is bang outside the ground.

For Athletico Madrid the stop is Puerto de Toledo, south and therefore closer to Sol. We walked it from Plaza Mayor a fantastic little square with Covent Garden type acts and restaraunts. Stopping on the way at a pub at De Toledo and later with a thousand or so Chelsea fans an old fashioned type police escort to the ground!

Madrid is a lovely place and for £1.99 at Luton Airport we got the Eyewitness Travel Madrid Pocket Map and Guide it was fantastic for Area's to visit and Restaraunts and Bars. We had a great time and all our meals were spot on, although the price of the Euro makes it rather expensive at the moment, clothes and perfume a definate no no.

The Irish Bar on corner of the Plaza Mayor has to be recommended for it's live football and decent pub grub. The barman like the majority of working class in Madrid support Athletico, all Reals fans are upper class or come from away and abroad to support them a bit like Manchester in that respect!

One gripe with Spanish waiters and this hotel is no exception with regard to Customer service - Why do us Brits have to ask for everything? Clicking fingers may be the Spanish style guys but we prefer to be asked, surely that's etiquiete - there i'm not sure if i've spelt it right!

Throw in a free spa, gym and turkish bath ....

I would recommend this hotel to my mum - that means it's as good as you will get.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dinkystar
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed here on a reccomendation.... Utterly fabulous, I won't go on about the design, it has all been said. The main restaurant was absolutely first class, inspired menu, superb service... and.... I could relax with a nice cigar afterwards, like one could always do before the world went mad.
Great staff.... all round faultless stay and I'll go back.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Hotel Silken Puerta America Madrid is, by far, the most unique architectural concept hotel I have experienced. Each floor has been designed by a different world-renowned architect, each with a very different design aesthetic, including the all-white star trek/space age approach of Kathryn Findlay, Jean Nouvel's sexy Asian motif, starkly minimalist Zaha Hadid, to the metallic optical illusion of the "Plasma Studio" floor (my choice... see the pics). When you check in, if you haven't requested a particular floor, you are told which rooms are still available and given the hotel lookbook to thumb through, in order to help you make your selection. The whole thing lends an air of excited anticipation... what will the room look like? Did I choose the "best one?" (My imagination wandered to how other hotels utilize the "theme room" concept, yet the Silken Puerta America, while dripping sensuality at every opportunity, doesn't even come close to the tawdry ...or banal.)

As the outside-facing glass elevator doors opened onto the all-metal, sharp cornered, illusory "Plasma Studio" floor my jaw dropped. I felt a bit like I was in the hall of mirrors from that James Bond film. The room was no less exciting; it was entirely metal and glass, futuristic, gleaming, and uber-sexy. The designer apparently thought sex appeal would be heightened by including a completely transparent "wall" between the bathroom and the bedroom. That's right, the bathroom was encased only in glass, which did not become opaque when the door shut (as some do), nor when you turn on water, though the steam effect helps somewhat. I would suggest staying in this room solo, or else ensuring you're VERY comfortable with your partner... it's romantic, but if you're still into preserving that "air of mystery" this room will dispel it.

Onto practicalities: the shower leaked, the bathroom flooded, and generally was a total mess. The management ended up moving me to another (far superior) room on one of the top floors, the Mariscal y Salas floor, which, though it looked as though it was a combination of African tribal motifs and 80s pop-art, ended up being a stunning, comfortable room. The room had a panoramic view of all of Madrid, of which the lights, viewed at night when laying in bed, were absolutely incredible. The bathroom was enormous, and the shower was an ultra-luxe, super-deep tub with about eight different shower heads and jets. The management was so apologetic about the first room, they included a fresh fruit basket, a bottle of wine and a personal note of apology awaiting me in the new room.

Though this hotel is located quite far from the center of Madrid (about 20 minutes by cab and probably about 10-15 euros), it's very close to the airport; so convenience is relative. The hotel restaurant was amazing. The food was some of the best I'd had in Madrid; not being terribly impressed with the tapas and typical Spanish food I had eaten around the rest of the city. The rooftop bar is very cool with a sexy red vibe, great views of the city, and some really fun bartenders. I would recommend this hotel if I had a one or two night stopover in Madrid and didn't have a need to go outside the hotel... there is plenty enough to entertain you here, provided you appreciate a certain aesthetic.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank urbanmtngirl
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Location - twenty minutes from the centre of Madrid. Quite a working class zone.

I imagine this hotel was great about five years ago. Due to poor maintenance it is showing its age.

Reception staff at check-in attempt a hard sell on room upgrades. The desperation is quite sad to see.

Housekeeping provides a poor service. Complaints to aloof management prove fruitless.

Who ever allocated the five stars at the front of the hotel appears to have either not reviewed recently, or was a little over zealous with allocation.

As design hotels go, this establishment is undortunately leagues behind.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adkarle
Reviewed 9 October 2009

There are many more conveniently located hotels in Madrid that charge the same (or less) for an equivalent level of comfort and service. However, I'm pretty sure this is the only one where your stay is a 'design' experience, where you will open the door to your room with genuine anticipation, and where you will be delighted (and possibly irritated) by the many unusual features of the rooms and the hotel generally. My room was fine - comfy bed, good aircon, spacious powerful shower, soft towels etc. Service was efficient and polite, from what I could see. The buffet breakfast was good but not 5* - I'd want eggs cooked to order, at least for that. All in all I was perfectly happy, particularly as I had got a very good deal on flight + hotel, with my double room coming in at about £120 night incl. breakfast. The location suited me for this particular trip, but next time I'll stay in the centre.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business