“Great little hotel right in the heart of the action”
Review of Hostal El Pilar

Hostal El Pilar
Ranked #64 of 278 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were a little worried about staying in such a small hotel and with only 2 stars (I think that's what is has) but we had no need to be. The room was a good size, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was dinky but useable and clean, and the airco was excellent!

I've given it 4 stars because it is what it says it is, and it does it very well. It loses a star because it's very noisy. Now this wasn't an issue for us because we can sleep anywhere and after a day of sightseeing it was even easier but if you are a light sleeper then you do not want to be sleeping on the street side of the hotel - the bar below shuts well after 3 and I think it was open again by 10 the next day, so you have been warned.

The staff are friendly and helpful but they didn't speak much english. Oh and I almost forgot, the towels were not good, they were beautifully clean but very old and almost threadbare - so only 2 small gripes.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hostal El Pilar

Reviewed 9 April 2011

First impressions arriving here in the early evening were uh-oh I hope this is going to be ok. In fact it was more than ok. The staff were friendly and put up with me trying out my terrible Spanish. My friend and I had booked a twin room for a long weekend. It was a good size, lots of storage and a good shower. The room was cleaned / tidied every day and we got clean towels. We didn't have a window to the street but it really wasn't a problem for a weekend break. There was a bit of a smell of old smoke in the room and you could hear the front door sometimes but for the money it was an excellent stay - we thought the location was perfect too - near to the main sights and metro (although we didn't need to use it all weekend), and great tapas bars on the doorstep. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I stayed here with 3 friends at the very beginning of March during Carnavale. The hotel was cozy and clean, and the staff was extremely helpful- recommending areas to visit and helping us book a cab to the airport since we had to leave early in the morning. There weren't a lot of frills, but we weren't there to stay in a hostal, we were there to see Madrid.

We slept well, and we were right in the heart of everything- the hostal is just off of the Sol metro stop and a 5 minute walk from the Opera. It had everything we needed, and even as young women we felt comfortable walking around there. If you're looking for a good, cheap place to stay with a great location- this is it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The hostal was almost in the metro station, and in a great part of the city. The room was clean, with heating and air conditioning, the bathroom was wonderful. My bed, however, was a little unconfortable, with a "hole" in the matress. We could hear people from the other room, a little annoying. The staff was ok, no good, no bad.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2010

This was a great hostal in a great location. The family who run it are very friendly and helpful, and I appreciated their patience with me trying out my Spanish. I was in Madrid to take a 1-week Spanish course and this was a great base. It's very convenient to the Sol metro line and although the room is very small, it was great to have the desk and free wifi for doing my homework every night. I often stay in youth hostels, so this was a nice little upgrade for me.

I do agree with other reviewers that the noise is an issue. I had noisy neighbors in an adjacent room one night (to be fair, it was World Cup finals week) and I could clearly hear every buzz for the door to be opened and every phone call made to reception. The ringer on that phone is LOUD. I managed to sleep quite well regardless, but I think I was generally exhausted from my 5 hours of Spanish class and the 100+ degree heat. I was grateful for the AC.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Excellent location!!!!!!!!, price is perfect, no bad experiences... only two things 1 Roach in my last day, no soap 1day (I stay 4 nights), bad wireless reception in the room, but all of this is not a big deal (this occure in every hotel, except for the roach), I recommend this please.... I travel with lock and all my stuff in the baggage all the time when I was not in the room, no bad experience... recommended 100%

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank josepr007
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This hostel was amazing...more like a hotel than a hostel. Brilliant location, so we could walk everywhere in Madrid. The staff were lovely and very friendly. Rooms were clean & cleaned daily with new towels etc. Only downsides were the safe in the room which cost a euro to use every time you used it and that it was a little noisy at nights...but what can you expect when so close to the centre of a capital city! Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends