“Excellent hotel, hidden jewel, great value for your money”

Catalonia Las Cortes
Ranked #9 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 26 October 2009

If this hotel had a "4 seasons" banner in the door, most likely people would be happily paying 5x. It really looks and feels like a luxurious hotel, the facilities are really the best I have seen in a long time.
Customer service is very good actually. I requested an extra blanket and I got it immediately. On two nights we ordered room service and the phone was answered promptly, they took our order and told us that it'll be ready in 25 minute and exactly in that time we had our meal in the door -with no mistakes, everything as we had ordered. Finally, I asked in the lobby were I could buy good city maps and they gave me one map of the center and went to the store room to bring me a larger map of the city. Likewise, in the dining room we had breakfast 4 times and everything went smoothly.
We were 2 adults and 2 children sleeping in one bedroom (more like a suite). They put two extra (small) beds and it worked out pretty well. We didn't feel cramped.
Lastly, my room faced del Prado street, 25 meters away from Plaza Santa Ana and I was fearing that the street noise at night would make it impossible to fall asleep, but the double window really works well as we didn't hear noise from outside.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GlobalExpat

Reviewed 12 October 2009

I was really looking forward to a great stay as this hotel as it looks stunning, but unfortunately looks can be deceiving.

After booking the hotel, confirming the reservation on the arrival day and again a few hours before arrival, the hotel staff still managed to book us into the wrong type of room.
There was no apology for or alternative to the single room available even though a twin had been booked and confirmed.

After 2 hours of trying to get any help or assistance from the hotel staff and manager, we eventually reverted to using bookings.com to arrange an alternative hotel but it still cost at least 3 hours of hassle & delay late at night to sort out.

My advice would be to be wary of expecting a confirmed booking to be honoured by this hotel, but as I said before it is a lovely looking place.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank Generaal
DireccionLasCortes, Director at Catalonia Las Cortes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2009

1. You did not phone the hotel at any time. Where did you phone?
2. The only request in your reservation was a non smoking room, nothing else. If you really made a request for a twin room you should send your complaints to the Internet Company you made the reservation trough.
3. Room 002 is not a single room. It is a double room with a queen size bed. If you are travelling with your mother you should prevent the hotel (phoning the hotel, of course), especially if you are checking in at midnight, as you did.
4. If you have a look on your reservation you will read something like: requests are not guaranteed. This is exactly the same at any hotel in the world. But I insist, in order to satisfy a request, first you should make a request and make sure the hotel has received it.
5. You say you stayed like two hours trying to get some assistance from our Manager / Receptionist. As far as I know Luka, the Night Receptionist, spent this long time in looking for a hotel for you. And the Manager, of course, is not working at night.
6. You do not mention we paid you the taxi to the other hotel, SOMETHING WE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE, but we did.

As you can easily understand we are really upset , but I would like you to understand us. We accept all kind of complaints, as they allow us to improve our service, but this is not the case: we do not agree at all with your position.

Best regards from Madrid.

The General Manager.

Reviewed 10 October 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in early October 2009. The hotel is very well located - only 2-3 minutes from Anton Martin metro and very close to Plaza Mayor.

Despite being in the thick of it, our room was very quiet.

Washrooms are very nicely sized - rainforest showerhead was a nice touch. My wife complained that there were no bathroom products in the room, though, and that the hairdryer was ineffective.

My only complaint is that the WiFi was very temperamental. Our first room had no reception so we asked to be moved. The second room had good reception but the hotel system kept dropping the connection. Hotel staff tried to fix the problem was it was understandably beyond them.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank francelonian
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We have just returned from 3 days at Hotel Las Cortes, booked after reading good reviews at Tripadvisor. It exceeded our expectations with good sized bathroom/shower and reasonable bedroom space. Staff very helpful. Well located for tourists. Did not dine there but buffet breakfasts were better than most tourist hotels and whole hotel very clean with good aircon and wifi. We would go back there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hardenedtraveler
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Strategically situated at a beautiful walking distance from El Prado at one end and Plaza Major at the other, Catalonia Las Cortes, delivers Madrid warmth and charm in every sense of the word. Any one of the service members, at any time of the day or any shift, in a city that truly doesn't sleep, will gladly assist you with charismatic warmth and professionalism that is not only charming, but leaves you yearning for a longer visit! The hotel excels in cleanliness and delivers Madrid to your room in every one of their special touches, including the fragrance in the air. Definitely a centric place in old Madrid without the hype (and price tag) of chain hotels. I'm still in awe with the elegant simplicity and warmth of the place! Kudos to its staff and management!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rita V
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I stayed here for two nights with my father. Neither of us had been to Madrid before so wanted a decent base near to the main sights that was clean and good value. I really didn't want to stay anywhere trendy/pretentious, nor did I want to stay at a big hotel with a sterile atmosphere. And I'm so glad I came across this hotel (on Tripadvisor no less!). It was perfect for us.

The location meant we could walk easily to the museums, the Royal Palace, Retiro Park etc, plus there are good restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel is located on a side street and offers quiet rooms which are clean and perfectly comfortable without being over the top; the service was friendly and confident without being pushy. The front desk staff were great at giving us directions, making restaurant reservations and so on and so forth.

The extremely reasonable rate included a good buffet breakfast with plenty of choice. The bar was completely dead for the duration for our stay - it does not have much atmosphere, nor would I recommend taking any other meal apart from breakfast in the restaurant which also is a bit sterile. But with so many other dining options close to the hotel this wasn't a problem at all.

If you are looking for a comfortable room in a small hotel in a great location at a great price then this hotel ticks those boxes perfectly.

• Stayed: September 2009
4  Thank ooooh_pardon
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed in Catalonia Las Cortes for 3 nights in early June. The staff were extremely helpful and great for directions and ideas for things to do. We had a lovely corner room with 2 windows and large bathroom. The bed was really comfortable and there was loads of space for clothes, travel bags etc. There was no mini bar however.

Location is perfect, just beside the Lovely Plaza Santa Ana where you can enjoy good food and drinks in the sunshine.

We bought a 3 day metro pass at the airport but ended up not using it as the location was so good, we walked everywhere.

If you like cool funky bars, pay a trip to The Penthouse bar in Plaza Santa Anna for great views over the city.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple