“Great Location, lively nightlife and close to major art galleries”

Catalonia Las Cortes
Ranked #8 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Cheshire
“Great Location, lively nightlife and close to major art galleries”
Reviewed 17 February 2010

The warm welcome given by the staff at this lovely hotel was in perfect counterpoint to the chilliness of the weather outside, after all it was February! Rooms are both stylish and comfortable with all the amenities one would expect in a 4 star hotel. The only downside was that the air conditioning was a little loud, however we did have this turned on to full during the night. The location is perfect for visiting the museums and art galleries and it was apparent that the area will become lively and buzzing come the onset of Spring. Even in snowy February it has a good vibe. The area feels very 'local' and a wander down the side streets will reveal wonderful shops: small grocery shops selling artisan hams and cheeses, fish shops, fruit and vegetables, and small shops catering to the needs of 'real' people. One word of warning; it is very easy to overeat in the local bars and restaurants as the tapas portions are enormous. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to return soon.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank CheshirePegs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. It is perfectly located just 2 minutes' walk from the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and just a few minutes further to the Prado. My room was spacious for a single by European standards and was immaculately clean. It was very quiet, though if it had been crowded that might have changed, since I could clearly hear other guests in the hallway. The staff was very helpful, and I loved the neighborhood. I got a great deal online through the hotel's website. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, England
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had a fantastic time in Madrid and would definately recommend this hotel. The location was perfect, rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel was generally quiet due to the time of the year but we were not disturbed in any way. In fact we slept so well we nearly missed breakfast. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. The staff spoke good English and were very friendly and helpful. We hope to return to Madrid and would not hesitate in booking a room at the Catalonia Las Cortes.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Let me start by saying that we've traveled to 8 countries, been to europe 12-15 times in the last decade, stayed in hundreds of hotels and apartments. We've stayed in some of the best and worst hotels and apartments and we're very picky! With that being said...we loved this hotel, loved it, loved it, loved it. I spent weeks trying to figure out the best place for us on our first visit to Madrid. This was by far the best decision we could have made having never been to Madrid before. As I was walking around town I saw some of the other hotels that I was considering and every time I thought to myself, wow, I picked the perfect place!

The location: WOW the location, it could not have been more perfect. It was in a more sophisticated and upscale part of town, away from the heavily tourist areas of Puerta Del Sol and Plaza Mayor, yet just a short walk away. I was amazed how different the neighborhood was just a few blocks away. It was a short walk to everything, absolutely perfect. Great restaurants very close by and lots of lovely cafes and tapas bars right at your doorstep. Great shopping just a few blocks away. Most importantly I felt safe enough to walk back to the room at night by myself, a real plus. Like I said, it could not have been any better.

The staff: At check in the staff was super courteous, friendly and smiling. I did the best I could with my Spanish, which is terrible, but I noticed that they spoke Italian as well so I ended up defaulting to that. They do speak English, I just wanted to try to do my best to be polite in their country and at least try. I booked through a Thai website thatr always has great prices, so we ended up getting a great deal, 160Euros (about $220) with breakfast included (approximately $20 value). The first room was on the top floor and the window was small and up high. It made me feel a little claustrophobic so the staff was kind enough to give us another room that had more bright light. Don't be afraid to ask for another room if you are not pleased with the one assigned to you. We wanted to see a flameco show that required you to phone in for a reservation and the woman at the front desk offered to do it for us, very graciously took care of our reservation. Overall I thought the staff was wonderful.

The room: Everything about the room was great, including the very firm mattress (but that's my preference), I despise those saggy, sway back mattress that you find throughout a lot of European hotels, even the nicer ones. The room was an adequate size and the bathroom was enormous. Nice tub and shower combo with great water pressure and endless hot water (also not a given in Europe). The only strange thing I found was the lack of an exhaust fan for the shower steam, but this was easily remedied by opening the window for a few seconds. Nice toiletries provided. The hairdryer was full size and powerful, which is unusual for a hotel, my only complaint was that the cord was a little short, but no big deal. Lovely view out the window of tiled roof tops and the shops below. Lots of closet space, good quality pillows and linens. Most importantly of all, it was very clean and was kept very clean during the 6 days we were there. Great housekeeping staff (very friendly as well, also unusual in most hotels). Free wi-fi was included in the room price, again, unusual as all the hotels these days seem to want to charge you a daily fee for in room wi-fi. My only issue was that the wi-fi had a very week signal on the bed and the best reception in the bathroom. In the end, I can't even complain about that because the bathroom was so cavernous that I just pulled the padded desk chair in there, right in the doorway, and was able to use my laptop with no problem! Once I figured that out I had functioning wi-fi that worked perfectly every single time. I think this will be different for every room due to the relationship between the room and the distance of the router. Other than that very small thing, it was a fantastic room. It did get a little loud on Saturday night due to the Cuban club/restaurant down in the street below us, but nothing a set of earplugs couldn't fix and it was only that one night. Otherwise it was quiet. Great room, can't complain!

The breakfast: Oh my the breakfast was out of this world! I'm a big breakfast lover, I'm not one of those people that can just have coffee and a roll and be happy with that. So I was very surprised with their food, especially because I was expecting a chintzy continental type breakfast since it was included in the room price. I never could have imagined that kind of spread! Everything was freshly made and excellent high quality food. There were fried eggs, bacon, sausage, churros, Spanish egg and potato tortilla, bread with tomato and garlic (my favorite), then there was the cold bar with a variety of breads, spanish cured hams, cheeses, etc. Wonderful sweets, the best croissants I've ever tasted, even better than in Paris! Flan, bread pudding, a delicious dense almond cake, oh my gosh it was crazy. For those who are more simple in their breakfast taste they also had the basics, cold cereal and milk, fruit and yogurt. I stuffed myself silly every morning! I'm not sure why the other poster said the breakfast staff was rude, we found them to be so delightful. They were willing to indulge us in our poor Spanish speaking skills and still kept a smile. I never ordered cappuccino, in fact I just served myself my own coffee. However, I found the staff to be great, they must have wondered how I could stay my size and still eat all that sausage for breakfast! The sausage was the best I've ever tasted, I wish we could get it back home! I took lots of pics of the buffet and the food so other people reading this review would consider that when they are budgeting. We found ourselves so full from breakfast that we were actually able to skip lunch. If I had to pay the 16 euros, or whatever the price is for the breakfast, I would have felt it was worth every bit of the price. Can you tell I am a foodie? I wrote more about the breakfast than the room :)

And Madrid itself? Wow, what a wonderful place. We were there for the big New Years Eve party in Puerta del Sol. 25,000 people, fireworks, music, it was incredible! I'll never forget it as long as I live! We stayed 6 days in Madrid and we could have used another week. People who say Madrid is only worth a few days are not really enjoying all this place has to offer!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Yviebee
Zurich
Reviewed 1 January 2010

This hotel is very central location in walking distance to the most important sites. Rooms are nice. However, the service of the restaurant is unsatisfactory, i.e. staff serving breakfast is ignorant. They refused to serve us cappucino/cortado and gave us café americano instead. However, a few minutes later, the staff served cappucino to other guests asking for it. When complaining at the rececption we were told that we should get a cappucino when asking for it. We tried the next day and asked politely. Again, the staff denied our request but served cappucino to other guests. The reception staff only told us that they couldn't do anything and that we should talk again to the person in charge. On the third day, another serving crew first wanted to charge us the cappucino separately. Finally we got our coffee within the price of the breakfast, i.e. 16 Euros. This service is just unacceptable and does not meet the standard one could expect of a four star hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hiendri
DireccionLasCortes, Director at Catalonia Las Cortes, responded to this review, 8 February 2010
We are really very sorry for the inconvenience caused by our waiter during your stay in our hotel. I cannot really do anything but giving you my personal appologies, as far as we do not really understand what it could has happened, the reason why our waiter did not served you the capuccino. The only explanation would be a misunderstanding, due to the low English level of some our waiters.
Whatever, I understand your disapointment, and I hope you will give us a new chance in the future, just to show you the real quality standart of our breakfast service.
Of course, I will make a copy of your complaint for all our Restaurant staff, in order to avoid a new situation like this in the near future.
Finally, I thank you again for your comments and I ask you again for your kind comprehension.
Best regards from Madrid.
Baleares
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I stayed with my husband and some friends in this hotel for a weekend in Madrid. The location could not have been better: right next to the bustling Plaza Santa Ana, a few minutes walk to Puerta del Sol, Museo del Prado, Parque del Retiro, etc. The neighbourhood the hotel belongs to is refered to as "Barrio de las Letras" ("Literature District") and is absolutely charming. The staff at the hotel (reception, breakfast room and concierge) was very polite and professional, always willing to go the extra mile to help out. We stayed in a huge room, one of the largest I have ever been too (and I have been to many US hotels!!), with a huge king-size bed, plenty of light and a large bathroom too. The hotel has a classic deco, but it has been totally reformed so it is spotless everywhere. I will definitely be back again on my next short visit to Madrid.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
São Paulo
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Great location, near the main tourist spots in Madrid. I came to the hotel directly from Barajas airport and went down the subway Puerta del Sol, which is best if you are traveling with luggage. If the backpack is a metro that is near (Anton Martin): it is just 3 blocks from the hotel. We rented a car and than the location is not so good. The public parking for 10 hours costs 28EUR, the most expensive of all of Spain in the Plaza de Santa Ana. The hotel room was not the greatest, but nicely decorated and clean. It was very worthwhile. I would be back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple