“I would definitely stay here again”

Catalonia Las Cortes
Ranked #9 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I was not really looking forward to seeing Madrid - just another big city, I thought. I was also very conflicted about where to stay, too many choices, and they would probably all be just typical big city hotels. Well, I was wrong about both Madrid and the Hotel Catalonia las Cortes. I would DEFINITELY return to Madrid, and if I do, we will stay here again.

Despite road work that was going on directly in front of the hotel, and the fact that our room was over the sliding door (could hear the sounds of it opening), we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and found it to be very quiet - something I always worry about with city hotels. Our room was HUGE, an entryway, two beds pushed together (as is usual) to make the biggest bed we had ever stayed in - I somehow think they were larger than 2 twins as one night we even ended up staying on the same side of the bed all night! Great bathroom with good shower (another thing we like!), and we felt the location was truly perfect. I realize that we really only saw a small part of Madrid, because we never took any transportation, just walked - but we were close enough to the Museums that we were able to pop over when the Prado was free and wander for a short time, returning 2 more times during the weekend - this is a great way to see an art musuem in my opinion. There were good restaurants all around (but we didn't have a bad meal during our whole Spain trip), and the staff was so friendly, allowing me to practice my Spanish, giving good restaurant recs. We used the free wi-fi too and did I mention the breakfast? Okay, initially I thought 16 euros each for Breakfast? We'll go out. But we gave it a try the first day and there was no way we weren't coming back the next 2 days. It was WELL worth the money - everything you could want, lots of coffee, friendly service. By far our best breakfast of our trip. Though there are many choices in Madrid, we enjoyed ourselves so much here that I would have no problem returning here, leaving all the research and "will I like this" question for another city!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HKCunli
Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed 21 March 2010

We spent three nights here last month and loved it. We did not arrive until midnight and received a cheery, warm welcome. Everyone we encounters at the property offer friendly, excellent service. Best location, super clean and comfortable. I must say we did not think the breakfast was so spectacular like many other viewers but it was just fine. We would stay again and it was a fantastic value. If you need it, WIFI was spotty and available in the reception area only.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2010

We booked 2 good sized double deluxe rooms, which were of a clean, comfortable standard. Bathroom, very spacious with bath and a separate roomy shower with rain head - fantastic

The service in the hotel with no exceptions was excellent and friendly.Breakfast was very good with a good selection.

A great location for a city break, minutes from Santa Ana square, where we tried the local restaurants ie Ginger - great choice for a sunday lunch before returning to airport. We tried a tapas bar on saturday evening just off the square - the name escapes me.It seemed very popular with locals and very reasonably priced for a good experience with good food and wine.

Retiro park worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cheekyWestMidlands
Reviewed 1 March 2010

The hotel boasts a fantastic location - close to everything and yet very quiet. We appreciated it a lot.

The interior of the hotel demonstrates a good taste of the owners and a sence of style. Do not miss a pleasure to use the stairs instead of an elevator - I promise it will be worth your efforts.

The rooms are very elegant and show the same "empire-like" style I like so much. And the bathrom was just enormous - with a separate walk-in shower and a bathtub. The cleanliness is just spotless.

The breakfast offered is one of the best we've ever seen in different hotels - both the variety of food and its quality. And yes, the croissants are really fantastic. The waiters were very attentive and friendly as were the staff at the reception.

We really liked the hotel and will definitely recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nathalie_and_Nikolas
Reviewed 17 February 2010

The warm welcome given by the staff at this lovely hotel was in perfect counterpoint to the chilliness of the weather outside, after all it was February! Rooms are both stylish and comfortable with all the amenities one would expect in a 4 star hotel. The only downside was that the air conditioning was a little loud, however we did have this turned on to full during the night. The location is perfect for visiting the museums and art galleries and it was apparent that the area will become lively and buzzing come the onset of Spring. Even in snowy February it has a good vibe. The area feels very 'local' and a wander down the side streets will reveal wonderful shops: small grocery shops selling artisan hams and cheeses, fish shops, fruit and vegetables, and small shops catering to the needs of 'real' people. One word of warning; it is very easy to overeat in the local bars and restaurants as the tapas portions are enormous. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to return soon.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank CheshirePegs
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. It is perfectly located just 2 minutes' walk from the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and just a few minutes further to the Prado. My room was spacious for a single by European standards and was immaculately clean. It was very quiet, though if it had been crowded that might have changed, since I could clearly hear other guests in the hallway. The staff was very helpful, and I loved the neighborhood. I got a great deal online through the hotel's website. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had a fantastic time in Madrid and would definately recommend this hotel. The location was perfect, rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel was generally quiet due to the time of the year but we were not disturbed in any way. In fact we slept so well we nearly missed breakfast. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. The staff spoke good English and were very friendly and helpful. We hope to return to Madrid and would not hesitate in booking a room at the Catalonia Las Cortes.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple