“Six weeks in Europe and this was by far the Best for the Price!”
Review of Hotel Miau

Hotel Miau
Ranked #274 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Traveling with my 82 year old mother and 65 year old friend. We were on a budget so our selection of hotels was kept to $50/each or $150/night tops. It was necessary to have an in the room bathroom so our choices were limited. To our surprise we came across the Hotel Miau for a 5 night stay in Madrid. We were given a corner room that overlooked the Santa Ana Square with the lively atmosphere that comes alive at night and makes you just love Madrid. There are three large window with small balcony. The sound reduction is perfect as the windows have double pane with shutters and then an inner enclosed cutting off all sound. The beds were not the most comfortable but what could be expected for the price range. The room was huge and gave us a lot of room to spread out. The bathroom too was large. We did not come to Europe to stay in our room but this one made us enjoy our location. The hotel is clean and service is excellent. English is spoken and everyone is willing to help you get to know and love Madrid, which we did. There is a lift to all rooms but only two can go up at a time which was a little problem for three of us. Maid service was great and kept the room clean and tidy. We did experience a problem with the toilet not wanting to fill and told the front desk. It was late so they brought up a bucket to put water in it. I would of thought they would have a look to see if they could get it to work. Well, my ex was a plumber so I looked at it and was able to get it working but they still had someone the next morning come. There is a restaurant next door that gives discounts to the hotel clients. We were not so impressed with it after one tried as there are much better places close by. If you want to be right in the middle of Madrid and in a great area for Flamenco shows, restaurants, shopping and metro this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The corner with small balconies over looking Santa Ana Square.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nblapaz

Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was an exxcellent choice for a short visit to Madrid. Its position, right in the centre of Old Madrid makes it easy to walk to the big attractions like the three great art galleries and Plaza Mayor. It is on the corner of Plaza Santa Ana which is lined with excellent restaurants and Tapas bars- great after a day's sight-seeing. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The room was comfortable and well equipped with good en suite facilities and the buffet breakfast was good.
Best of all was the ability to simply set off walking in any direction and be able to enjoy the old city. Very good value.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnjclarke
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I got an excellent deal for two nights at the Miau which is, as other reviewers have already said, in a wonderfully central location.
Despite being on my own, I felt very safe going out and about in the neighbourhood.
I received a very warm and helpful welcome at reception and arrived in my room to find it very well equipped and comfortable. The bed was a good-sized double and very pleasant to sleep on.
With the windows on to the balcony closed, I wasn't disturbed by noise from the busy square outside at all.
Bathroom had a very efficient shower and generously sized towels, along with the usual convenience items.
The free wi-fi works very well in the rooms and in the cafe downstairs and the password is clearly displayed on a card in the room.
Everywhere was spotlessly clean. I was a little dismayed to find there was no hairdryer but I only had to ask at reception and was presented with one to keep for the duration of my stay.
Breakfast wasn't included in my deal but I took breakfast in the cafe downstairs and there was a reasonable choice of pastries, bread, churros etc. Cafe con leche is excellent. They also do an "American-style" cooked breakfast.
I really liked the cafe, which had pleasant, helpful staff and seemed very popular with locals in the evening.
There was no problem leaving my suitcase at reception after checkout when I still had some time to kill before going to the airport.
I'll certainly return to the Miau on my next visit to Madrid.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank DJHunter
Reviewed 1 November 2010

My husband and I escaped to Madrid for four days to have a good time. I had read the previous reviews and decided this is where I wanted to stay. This hotel is for the adventurous traveler who doesn't mind the outside noise and likes to be part of Madrid's lively nightlife. Service is very good. Mercedes, one of the employees is very knowledgeable and eager to help. Hotel is centrally located and you can walk everywhere, especially in the Barrio de las Letras where everything happens at night. The bedroom walls are thin, and you can hear what happens in the room next door. It wasn't a problem for us, but it was for our not so friendly neighbors who rudely asked us to lower our voice. I would definitely come hear again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KreyzTravelr
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Madried is an expensive city and I found it quite difficult to find someone both affordable and decent. Hotel Miau was a good size, not too big. The rooms were a good size and the staff extremely helpful. In fact my husband got sick with the flu while we were there and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating. The only blemish was that breakfast was served in the very nice cafe next door and the staff were a little over-officious about what we could and couldn't have for breakfast. On the plus side, we could walk nearly everywhere we wanted to go to, the Prado, Retiro Park, El Rastro, the Royal Palace were all very handy and it was a safe neighbourhood.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Spent our final night in Madrid in room # 27. It was a double (2 beds) and quite a nice size. Bathroom was also a good size. Our room had a juliette balcony overlooking the square. We didn't have any issue with noise - but we did not arrive until 11:30 pm and went out until 1 a.m. or so. Breakfast was included in the rate (95 euros) and was very basic - just coffee and a roll.

The worst issue we had was not with the hotel but trying to arrive by taxi on a Saturday night at 10:30 pm. Instead of dropping us off near the hotel and having us walk a block or 2 to the hotel (which most drivers insist upon doing in these types of pedestrian areas) this taxi driver was trying to get us directy to the front of the hotel through the mess of traffic in the square. We finally told him just to let us off a half block from the hotel (when we saw it).

Although I'd recommend this hotel I prefer the Hotel El Prado nearby for the quality of room and the value.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This hotel is situated in a very nice plaza and in general well centered. The people are very friendly.
I dont advise the breakfast though.
The rooms are small but it dsnt matter since ur not gonna spend ur time in the room.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo