“Small hotel but great location”
Review of Hotel Miau

Hotel Miau
Ranked #291 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Bogota, Colombia
“Small hotel but great location”
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This hotel is situated in a very nice plaza and in general well centered. The people are very friendly.
I dont advise the breakfast though.
The rooms are small but it dsnt matter since ur not gonna spend ur time in the room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank JimmyHH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 September 2009

I can't recommend this hotel & its personnel highly enough. I lucked out even knowing about it, because the hotel my agency booked, located one block away, was a disaster and I needed to hunt out a nearby alternative. Thank you DK Eyewitness Madrid guidebook for including the blurb on Hotel Miau. I walked into Hotel Miau, asked to preview room, loved it, took it (room #24 by the way) and in every way this MADE by 6-day trip a success. OUTSTANDING customer service was provided by all involved, from Srs. Don Luis & Jorge, and Snras Montana & Marta. All gave helpful and accurate shopping, daytouring, ground transportation information and support. My gorgeous Spanish window & balcony looked out over popular Plaza Santa Ana, with its great selection of eateries. My veranda & window were composed of four elements (outer wood shutters, tall curtained doubledoor window, inner solid wood doors, and then finally the tall double-paned glass French doors) and they worked perfectly, allowing all the flexibility and beauty of open air, sit on the veranda, and then shut them all to virtual silence and total darkness - - even during Madrid's Noche Blanco all-night party on the Plaza. I loved that Hotel Miau was NOT a big hotel -- no reception area of people just hanging around. I loved the room's color scheme of light colors, and thoroughly modern, reliable bathroom fixtures. Shower and hot water were perfect. Everything was super-clean. For me it was an island of calm, situated right in the heart of easy access to my personal choice of sites, esp. The Prado. I will return asap. : )

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 20 June 2008

As the hotel was booked for me by my hosts in Madrid, I read through other reviews before leaving home. Afraid of the often mentioned noise issue, I asked for a room not facing the street. Unfortunately, they did not have one available (only few do not face the street) but assured me that the nights of my stay (Monday and Tuesday) meant noise would be minimum. Perhaps it's true not many party Monday night, but many due cue up to enter the paring garage under the square just below the hotel windows in the morning, and a large percentage of them enjoy honking the cars' horns. Noisy! Very noisy!
The room was small, recently refurbished (marble in bathroom, new fixtures), but the carpets were stained, the windows feeble wooden frame rooting away (which undoubtedly made the noise issue worse). Smell is also a problem in the rooms - it seems that ventilation shafts are shared to an extent that I could smell the moment my business colleague put on his after-shave in the morning. I could also hear him come in at night, plus anyone in the hallway, as the walls are paper thin.
Breakfast is taken in the adjoining restaurant (entrance around the corner): a choice between three kinds of pastry with a hot drink and a glass of orange juice. Fine for me, but some complain. The same restaurant offers the "day menu" for 10 Euro (June 2008) and it is good value. The only problem may be getting the waiters to take notice of you, but this seems to be a general rule in Madrid.
Hotel Miau has WI-FI, although the staff at he reception were not familiar with the current password and we had to wait for one of their colleagues to settle the issue.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Miau was a total disaster for my girlfriend and I. We arrived late, tired but looking forward to a nice few days in Madrid. We'd seen the pictures on their webpage, and read the information. So we were in for a nasty surprise.

The room was small, the carpet dirty and stained, the coverlet over the bed was dirty. And the noise was absolutely horrible. DO NOT believe the hotels' claim on it's webpage that the rooms are soundproofed. Ours was not. There was standard, single plate glass in the french windows and thin wooden panels to shut out intense traffic, drunks singing and arguing, police cars with their sirens on.

The location is faboulous, but you will do a lot better in living in any hotel 100 or more meters away from Plaza St. Ana. That way you can enjoy whatever goes on as long as you like, and you can leave the party and people honking their carhorns when you wish.

And there were no clotheshangers. Everything was wrong with this hotel - but the location and quite fresh-smelling soaps in the bahroom. How they got their 3 stars, I would like to know.

We moved as fast as possible. The hotel offered another room, it was probably more quiet as the window faced a grey concrete wall. But that too felt dirty and smelled funky. We had no problem finding a better room for a better price in the area. When we left, the hotel did not offer to refund us for the night we stayed, or for the next night. But the 95 euros a night for an empty room at the Miau was money well spent in saving our well earned holiday.

Borge, Norway

Stayed May 2008
3 Thank Gunnar2000
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 27 December 2006

I went to the hotel website directly and phoned during the day and asked for a reservation... They were great and spoke enough English.. Loud, well ..Yes! but only if you try to sleep past 930AM... Request an interior room it cuts down on the noise... We found the noise a perfect alarm clock.. We walked everywhere and found the morning treat of a quick small breakfast a delight.. By day three I learned I am allowed a second cup of coffee, which I generally take three stateside so I was glad to know this... We were in walking distance of everything great in Madrid and then some... We were also out of distance of the tourist bustle... There is a pizza place with cheap eats around the corner... A butterfly sign and a nice lady runs it... There is a Chinese owned market in the next tiny plaza over that has items you may have forgotten very cheap. socks, hat, ect..... and Vino Tecca is a great last bite for the night, on the way into the room.. The brie in phyllo dough was a great Tapas.. This hotel is a find for 85 Euro per night with breakfast... We are a couple in our 30's and 40's with no children... We travel frequently and love to walk and see every bit of a city... You will not be too disappointed if you choose this place... and take a taxi from the airport it was only 22 Euro from the airport..get them to drop you at Vino Tecca on the Plaza de Santa Ana...enjoy..oh and an elevator too...

• Liked — Location and Value
  • Disliked — It was just a pretty great place....
  • Tips/Secrets — Call the hotel directly... Eat at Vino Tecca only on the plaza ...no sleep past 9am... market across open until 12 am for water ...
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank celeste652
Portland, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I stayed in this hotel in June for one night, and would not recommend it. For the price, 80euros + tax, there are much better hotels in Madrid. My room was on the 1st floor overlooking the Plaza Santa Ana which naturally was quite noisy during the evening and early hours. The hotel's website mentions rooms are sound-proofed, but this one definately was not. No doubt internal rooms are much quieter. While a large room, the furnishings were shoddy and the carpet was very dirty. The bathroom was clean, but did not have a hairdryer. Breakfast is included in the price, but consists of just a cup of coffee, one croissant, and OJ at the downstairs bar. I've never complained about a hotel before as there is usually some redeeming feature, but afraid I couldn't find anything to like about this hotel apart from its central location.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank Germander
San Sebastian (Spain)
Reviewed 18 February 2006

We often stay at the Miau and we love the place for his excellent location (theaters , restaurants , nightlife , museums , everything is accesible by foot)and good price (you can get a nicely furnished tiny room with a view over the everytime crowded cafe terraces of Plaza de Santa Ana for 110 €). If you are not spanish or even if beeing spanish noise disturbs you maybe this hotel gets "animation" in excess . You can also choose an internal room with no view but bigger chances of tranquil sleeping .

12 Thank launz