“Alicia - An Excellent Choice”

Hotel Room Mate Alicia
Ranked #41 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
UK
“Alicia - An Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I stayed at the Alicia last weekend with my wife for a pre Christmas short notice getaway. I reviewed the Madrid hotel options through Tripadvisor as usual and from the information posted the Alicia seemed to offer the best blend of location, facilities and value for money.

We were not disappointed. After an easy Metro ride from Madrid airport, (the Metro departs from the 1st floor of Terminal 2), we took the pink line to Colombia stop, purple line to Principe de Vergara stop, then red line to the Sevilla Metro station stop and walked the short distance to Plaza Santa Ana.

I had booked our stay via the hotels web site as I wanted a Junior Suite and had pre-paid for the room so checki-in was fast, efficient and friendly.

We were very pleased with the size of the room and its facilities and I'm happy we opted for the higher grade. Our view across the square was excellent - (we were in room 303 on the 3rd floor).

Our room was very clean though we noted a slight waft of drains from time to time, (be interesting to know what it was like in the height of summer), but it didn't impact our stay.

Facilities were comprehensive - flat screen tv, stereo, room safe, sensibly priced mini bar, plenty of storage and lots of clean fluffy towels. The free standing bath was also a pleasant addition.

I have read some comments about neighbourhood noise, but as we visited in December and the weather wasn't great the local square was fairly devoid of people so this wasn't an issue for us.
I would also comment that if you want somewhere totally quiet you probably shouldn't stay in the centre of any major city.

Breakfast was included and hosted from the tapas bar which is situated in the same block as the hotel. Self service was fine and the breakfast choice was adequate.

The location of the hotel is excellent and we covered a vast array of sites within a 20 minute walking radius of our base location.

As an aside I would recommend the tapas, wine and general atmosphere in the Vinoteca bar directly across the road from the Alicia as well as a restaurant called Club 31 which is about 10 minutes walk away but very pleasant for a special dinner occasion.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our trip and would recommend the Alicia to anyone who wants a sensibly priced, very modern and clean hotel in the centre of Madrid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Drains!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RobFindlater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We had a one day layover in Madrid and wanted to find a quiet hotel in downtown Madrid close to the subway. Room Mate Alicia was all of the above and more. We were given an upgraded room with a beautiful view of Plaza Santa Ana. The hotel includes free wi-fi which was much appreciated. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was nice. Staff were helpful.

The location is ideal for tapas restaurants and sightseeing - close to the major museums. It is also a short (5-10 minute) walk from the Metro, which we took to/from the airport. We had been most concerned about noise from the busy street, but the sound insulation was excellent.

In the Spanish style, the breakfast doesn't begin until 8 am. Because of our flight time, we missed the breakfast.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Late breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank DelMarCA
Wales
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Stayed at the Alicia for 4 nights at end of October. Booked shuttle with Aerocity to get to hotel from airport (instructions to check in at airport were not clear) but after the delay the service was excellent.
Check in at hotel was swift and staff very friendly and spoke perfect english. Free internet in lobby and when I needed boarding cards printed for return flight the staff were again very helpfull.
Booked executive room which had a terrace. Room great with nice firm bed, bathroom also good with nice toiletries.
Breakfast was superb with plenty of choice. Free newspapers.
Location of hotel on corner of Plaza Santa Ana could not be better,within 10-15 minutes walk of all the major attractions.
Plenty of bars and restauants in the vicinity (Ginger restaurant was superb and great value).

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank JMPWales
Gloucester
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Had lovely stay at your hotel, got lucky ..sunshine in November.
Hotel staff were all very helpful and gave us some restaurant suggestions when we were looking for something specific.

Our room had a view of the square but we noted room 203 was on the corner and probably a better option.

House keeping was superb and the decor of room modern
& fresh, we didn't mind the open plan shower ......quite fun !!

Shutters and double glazing made up for potential noise which comes from street . Not party goers but cars and their peeping horns !!
This hotel is on one of the lovliest squares in Madrid ...visit and enjoy the people watching. XX

• Liked — Location & quirky
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJSport
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My wife and I stayed ther this past October. Its a marvelous hotel, quite chic, and nice cozy rooms. The buffet breakfast is outstanding, and not only for european standards.
The location, though a 5min walk to the nearest metro station (Anton Martin), its very convenient. Right infront of Plaza de Santa Ana, and a 10min walk to Sol, Gran Via, Atocha Station, etc....
The only incovenience we found was that the AC system wasnt working, due to the fact that its centralized and switched to heat for the cold season. But it was raining outside, so having the windows opened was not an option, nor turning on the AC (or heat). So we had to manage ourselves to cool down a bit.
That aside, I would definetely recommend the hotel, and for sure, make sure the next time, either the AC works properly, or rain/snow is not forecasted !

• Liked — location, rooms, breakfast, service !
  • Disliked — air conditioning
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Austin, TX USA
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Stayed here on Nov 15 on a layover through Madrid. The hotel is sufficient, and the staff is nice, but please be aware when you check in to this hotel. The area the hotel is located in is on a busy square in downtown Madrid. The area is full of bars and restaurants, which are extremely busy at night. The one-way street in front of the hotel gets backed up with cars due to the congestion of people in the area, so cars are honking all night long. I could not get to sleep until after 2am, as every minute or two I could hear the loud honking of horns from the street below.

Additionally, be VERY CAREFUL with your belongings when checking in to this hotel. I was robbed while checking in. I had 4 pieces of luggage. The taxi guy dropped me off immediately in front of the main door (4 feet away). I drug all my bags into the lobby, and went to the desk 15 feet away. The check in was quick, and when I turned around to get my bags, one was missing. The front desk clerk said this is a common problem in the area. The staff were friendly and helpful after my loss, but please be VERY careful, as the area this hotel is in has a very high rate of crime - verified to me by the local police when I filed a report.

• Liked — great hotel for party animals
  • Disliked — area has a high crime rate - rooms not sound proof to honking horns
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Mr_Ushooz
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 November 2008

The hotel was wonderful. Perfect location with easy walking or metro to anywhere. Very close to all the Art Museums and other sites. The breakfast was fresh and varied and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room itself was terrific with comfortable beds, modern, funky decor and nice toiletries and a full wall of window. The bathroom is open concept, which was new for us, but it was all quite cleverly designed and worked well. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Liked — location , funky decor and staff helpfulness
  • Disliked — window didn't open for fresh air
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends