“Went here every week while living in Madrid”

Meson de la Guitarra
Ranked #53 of 914 Nightlife in Madrid
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Went here every week while living in Madrid”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I lived in Madrid for a semester. A close friend and I met at the Meson de la Guitarra every Monday night. The best sangria in Madrid in my experience (and I did my research ;). We ate some of the appetizers, but I haven't tried too much of the food - what we did try I enjoyed. A guitarist strums a tune every once in a while - when he's in the right mood. The fact that he plays when he feels like it only adds to the atmosphere - it's way better than dining to a musician who has to play all evening and doesn't want to be there. And the cave feel is really nice too.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Cristy L

Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Meson de la guitarra / Plaza Mayor”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Super place. Atmosphere really doesn't get going until about 10 or 11 pm but after that Nothing
to compare ! I definitely want to invite some good friends to celebrate my next birthday there. You can't find a more authentic atmosphere but you better have an appreciation for Spanish music, folklore, culture and culinary delicacies. If you can go there with some Madrilenios, so much the Better !

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Alamex
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“This place is not what you want”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

If you would prefer watching the guitarist drink as opposed to actually picking up the guitar than this place is for you. For myself, I was sort of hoping to hear at least some music. As a standard bar it's ok I guess, just don't let the guitarra bit of the name fool you into thinking you may hear some guitar playing.

4 Thank xPetex
New York, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Best of the cave bars along Plaza Mayor in Madrid, by far”
Reviewed 16 July 2008

It's been a long time, but Meson de la Guitarra is burned in my mind as the best bar experience of my life. I arrived there around 1:30 in the morning on a Saturday night and was treated to the finest spontaneous concert of my life. Someone who knew what they were doing on guitar started playing a song, and everyone in the bar began to sing. Everyone. Simple as that. It was wonderful. The sangria is good, the atmosphere is outstanding, and on a good night when the crowd is singing this is one of the finest places on earth to catch an unexpected show. I'm quite certain it isn't the sangria talking.

15 Thank aelNY