“Cool place for a weekend trip”
Review of Room Mate Mario

Room Mate Mario
Ranked #42 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 5 February 2010

The hotel is very well located, wich is something very important when you are staying for just a couple of days and don't wan't to spend half the time going from the center of the city to the hotel and vice versa.
It's modern and cozy. The staff very friendly and helpfull.
It's not cheap...
The breakfast was quite good.
It's a good choice to spend an entertaining weekend at Madrid.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,963)

Reviewed 26 January 2010

Walking into Roommate Mario for the first time you think "this is cute and different." It has a cozy atmosphere, interesting decor, and bold color schemes.

I can hands down say that I have never been treated better at any other hotel, and I am an avid traveller. From the Ritz Carlton to the airport Best Western, from European hostels to bed and breakfasts, Roommate Mario is the only hotel I would definitely go back to.

First of all, the service. The staff there are the most friendly, helpful people I have encountered. When asking recommendations for anything they will go above and beyond. Not only that, my friend and I booked a side trip to Granada on our own and at the bus station the ticket agent refused to honor our online tickets. Not wanting to waste the day and being too frustrated to communicate properly in our broken spanish, we purchased more tickets and just went.

Upon our return to the hotel, we told the reception staff of our troubles. They took the number of the bus company and dialed them up. The conversations got heated and the man dialing on our behalf kept hanging up on them and redialing. He spent about an hour on the phone arguing in fiery spanish so fast we couldnt keep track. Finally he hung up the phone and told my friend she could expect a refund on her credit card in 2 weeks!!

Aside from championing our causes, they were soooo friendly. Aside from not wanting to leave Madrid because it's Madrid, we didn't want to leave the hotel because we loved everyone at the hotel.

Other things to consider would be the food. Breakfast was amazing. Every kind of carb you can imagine plus cold cuts, cheese, fruit, and a very much appreciated coffee machine that made various types of your favorite caffeinated beverages.

As for location: excellent. Madrid is such a walkable city and the proximity to the Puerta del Sol was fantastic. Right next to the Teatro Real and a stones throw from the Royal Palace. I'd recommend the Streetwise map of Madrid though. There are many streets and it can seem confusing. This map was invaluable to me.

Beds were small, but that is typical in Europe and it didn't matter since they were super comfortable. There's a safe, which is crucial. I really can't say enough good things about this place, so I won't drone on.

All in all, amazing place to stay, fantastic, friendly staff who truly make you feel like they care about your stay, good food, awesome city...highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank frankiewhereru
Reviewed 18 January 2010

If you want to avoid classic hotels, even 5 * * * * *, with no caracter and sould, this hotel is a very good alternative.
Very kind team and rooms were original and as it should be

Reviewed 11 January 2010

I have been travelling to Madrid frequently during the last three years. During this time i have tried out various hotels - mostly located in the historic centre. Among these hotels the Room Mate Mario is an outstanding choice. The location is very good - near to the centre and public transport is also ideal. The surrounding is very quiet and allows to get a good night rest. The rooms are modern and functional, each with a different charme. Some of the bathrooms are open to the bedroom, which I like. The breakfast is fresh and complete and gives a good base to start your business day. I have recommended this hotel to a lot of friends and colleagues already - all of them shared my enthousiasm.

Reviewed 7 January 2010

It is for sure in a great location: near Puerta del Sol and the metro station Opera. The street itself is very nice. Also the breakfast room is very stilish. The real prbolem are the rooms: too small. The one we went in (twin beds room) had the sink in the bedroom not to count the fact that my friend managed to put her suitcase to the side of her bed but I couldn't.
Having said that the price we paid, even though we spent a whole week including New Year's Eve, is too high if comared with the quality of the room.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eraclito30
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Room Mate Mario is in a perfect location for exploring Madrid and the staff at this hotel was helpful and very pleasant. Your room also includes a breakfast, which given the cost of the room was an incredible surprise. I would highly recommend the Mario to anyone visiting Madrid.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Room Mate Mario is in a very good location, and there is no traffic sound at all since it is on a side street. Unfortunately, you can hear your neighbours through the walls - thankfully ours were pretty quiet. We were lucky to be on the other side of the hotel to the breakfast room as if we weren't, we would have been woken up very early. The staff were all very helpful but the rooms weren't as plush as other reviews would suggest - they were a bit dark. All things said, I would visit Mario again if I got a bargain price.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple