“the room was great, the staff was horrible, the location is ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal La Vera

Hostal La Vera
Ranked #142 of 410 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Pavia, Italy
“the room was great, the staff was horrible, the location is ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Spent one night at the beginning of September 2011. Arrived at 9 PM, after a long train trip. The road where the hostel is located is definitely not the safest in the city, although it's very close to the city centre, with all the bars and restaurants, the closest metro stop (anton martin) is actually a little square crowded with hookers and beggars and the road (calle de la magdalena) is quite dark, smelly and dirty. The hostel is located at the second floor, the elevator is pretty old but at least it works. The owner is a weird person. He speaks ONLY spanish and refuses to understand any other language, including gestures. He gave me the keys complaining about my late arrival, asked me to pay immediately for my stay and showed me the (actually very beatiful, spacious and clean) room. Before letting me in, he repeated me three times what was the most important thing for him, i.e. not to knock at his door for any reason after that moment, including the morning after (he was very clear on that). I specified that I was not leaving early (9:30 AM) but he insisted and told me to drop the keys in the open room and leave without knocking at his door. The internet connection was free and fast, and everything was very clean. No air conditioning, but a little fan to allow a bit of recirculation for the air in the room. Actually, the whole hostel is scattered with electric fans that run 24/7, but the room is isolated quite well and their noise is not a problem. Just keep an eye on your belongings when you go around in those streets in the night!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

we arrived at night, and I will not lie, I was scared to walk around looking for the hostal, It was a bit hard to find, specially because there was not big sign, and when we finally found it was kind of creepy, it is inside an old building, and elevator is really small. But after cheking in the room was great, it was bigger than expected for a hostal, it was really cousy and the manager was really polite. The breakfast was in a bar outside the hotel, it was really small, but I guess it was fair because of the price.
I guess this place is good for young travelers, who aren't looking for luxury, but wanna have a nice time, because it is very close to any atraction!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Leeds, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Stayed for one night and was supposed to be returning for one night at the end if my trip but have cancelled. To start the lady who greeted me was unwelcoming and abrupt. She left me sat 20 minutes after greeting me while she chatted in the phone in the next room.

When I was eventually shown to my room it was down the street in a different building. I paid €46 for a double with a bathroom. The bathroom I paid extra for was a communal one which I would only shower in if I hadn't showered for a week. When I tried to complain I was met with shrugged shoulders - we don't speak English. Yeah but I speak rip off. The noise all night from the other apartments (the hotel is in a block) meant I did not get any sleep- which I appreciate is not their fault but something you should be aware of.

By contrast my friends who stayed in pension jaen paid €35 and had the bathroom they paid
for and it was quiet too.

My advice - find somewhere more honest.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank shoelover009

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

london, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I've stayed at this hostal various times and keep going back as I really liked it. It's clean, tidy. The rooms are a little on the small side, but that depends if you have your bathroom in there or you use the common one. I would recommend anyone stay here. The location is perfect. It's like a 5 min walk into sol and you have a nice restaurant just around the corner next to the chemist and just past burger king, meals are about 10 EURS and they are of good quality.

• Stayed August 2009
belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

I just stayed four nights in Hostal la Vera. I had booked a single room via booking.com but the owner (who was really friendly) told me they didn't have single rooms so I stayed in a double room, room 1.
That room is pretty big and has a small balcony, a very very small bathroom (probably only 2 m²) but it was very clean. If you want to go to the toilet you can't close the door and have to keep it open.

For breakfast you can go to a little cafe nearby but It's better that you just go eat somewhere else, or go to a supermercado and buy your breakfast there.

Central location, near the metro station Antón Martín.

I had to leave early in the morning (at 4 am) so the owner booked a taxi for me.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

We had a nice and cheap stay in the centre of Madrid.. Distance walking to most important places in the city.. Nice staff and clean room. Great value for money

Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

The hotel is pretty central and very close to the metro station (2 stops from Atocha train station). The owner is nice and helpful. The room itself was extremely small (believe me, that was not my first hostal in Madrid so I know what I'm talking about). The bathroom was also small but very modern and clean. The worst thing was that there was no heating and on a March night it was simply freezing. We arrived late in the evening and departed early next morning, so, given the price and the location, it was perfect for a bed to sleep in for one night.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — The cold.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple