“cheap, central, clean, friendly - what more is there to be expected?”
Review of Hostal La Vera

Hostal La Vera
Ranked #142 of 399 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Rome, Italy
“cheap, central, clean, friendly - what more is there to be expected?”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Ideally situated within the oldest part of the city, with Museums and nightlife in short walking distance. I had a room to a small and not exactly sunny, but quiet courtyard. Did not book private bathroom, but got one for lack of other rooms - small, but clean and reasonably modern. Even had a built-in kitchen (if you're interested, Nr. 14). People were nice and spoke english well. Of course, there is no luxury here, but for the very low price, its perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

It wasn't too difficult to find, if you rely on the address (no big signs). It's located on the second floor of an old building. Personally, I don't mind the uneven wooden steps, small elevator & dark interior; it's an exciting adventure! I met the receptionist and I think she was great; straight to the point yet understanding. She spoke English, too. Extremely kind of her to upgrade my room; I highly recommend room 12 (2 beds, window, heater & bathroom inside). Payment was upfront (fine by me) & room was cleaned in the afternoon. A safe place, as I left my DSLR & tripod in the room (I don't recommend doing this, though). No significant noises, but in saying that I'm a mother of a young boy, so I might have a different threshold on noise. No breakfast, as it was not included, but the supermarket & dairies were within walking distance and that's where I buy food instead of cafe.
I would be more than happy to stay here again, a very happy customer.

Valencia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was given a room without any windows. The bathroom was so small and cramped there was nowhere to leave your clothes other than to get wet on the floor. The place demands payment up front, charges if you want to leave your luggage, and reception just watched TV soaps all day. Never again.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with en suite bathroom are better. I stayed at the place right next door on the smae...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed here only one night after missing our train to Barcelona. We walked right in and were offered a room with two double beds and a bathroom in suite for only €42. When we saw the room, we were thrilled! Our own bathroom, a nice window with a clothes line, and a very very clean room. The staff was nice and I thought it was an amazing value.

The only negatives to this room were the beds and the noise. The beds were hard as a rock. In fact, it felt as though we were sleeping on box springs. The noise wasn't a huge problem, but as other reviewers mentioned, the building is in a block and noise from other rooms and buildings could be heard very clearly through our open window. Without air conditioning or a fan, keeping the window open was necessary.

Overall, I would recommend staying here if you need a clean, cheap place to stay for a night or two. Close to city center and attractions.

• Stayed June 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I spent a weekend at La Vera, while visiting Madrid as a tourist. La Vera became my choice of accomodation, because of its very reasonable pricing. The location was excellent, with walking distance both to a major area of restaurants and bars aswell as good art museums. Even though I did not expect much after having paid 30 euros per night, I was somewhat disapointed by the room. It had no windows and was in need of renovation. During one of the two nights I was kept awake by a neigbour, who spoke, cried and shouted in a very loud voice for hours despite me knocking on the wall. When it comes to the service level, I would even call it bad. The person who worked in the hotel was unfriendly and treated me with suspicion.

Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Pavia, Italy
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Spent one night at the beginning of September 2011. Arrived at 9 PM, after a long train trip. The road where the hostel is located is definitely not the safest in the city, although it's very close to the city centre, with all the bars and restaurants, the closest metro stop (anton martin) is actually a little square crowded with hookers and beggars and the road (calle de la magdalena) is quite dark, smelly and dirty. The hostel is located at the second floor, the elevator is pretty old but at least it works. The owner is a weird person. He speaks ONLY spanish and refuses to understand any other language, including gestures. He gave me the keys complaining about my late arrival, asked me to pay immediately for my stay and showed me the (actually very beatiful, spacious and clean) room. Before letting me in, he repeated me three times what was the most important thing for him, i.e. not to knock at his door for any reason after that moment, including the morning after (he was very clear on that). I specified that I was not leaving early (9:30 AM) but he insisted and told me to drop the keys in the open room and leave without knocking at his door. The internet connection was free and fast, and everything was very clean. No air conditioning, but a little fan to allow a bit of recirculation for the air in the room. Actually, the whole hostel is scattered with electric fans that run 24/7, but the room is isolated quite well and their noise is not a problem. Just keep an eye on your belongings when you go around in those streets in the night!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Taiwan
Reviewed 8 January 2011

we arrived at night, and I will not lie, I was scared to walk around looking for the hostal, It was a bit hard to find, specially because there was not big sign, and when we finally found it was kind of creepy, it is inside an old building, and elevator is really small. But after cheking in the room was great, it was bigger than expected for a hostal, it was really cousy and the manager was really polite. The breakfast was in a bar outside the hotel, it was really small, but I guess it was fair because of the price.
I guess this place is good for young travelers, who aren't looking for luxury, but wanna have a nice time, because it is very close to any atraction!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends