“WOW! Amazing Hotel, Great Value, Awsome Location!”
Review of Room Mate Laura

Room Mate Laura
Ranked #16 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 14 May 2009

This hotel was amazing, my husband and I could not be happier with our choice. The staff could not be more helpful, the breakfast was really good, the beds were comfortable, the room was very clean and neatly decorated, etc. The best decision we made was to stay at this hotel, it is close to fun restaurants, shopping, and everything else you want to see however it is on a quiet street so there is no street noise to wake you up at night. The staff went out of their way to recommend things to do, places to see, restaurants to eat at, etc. We will defiently be back and recommend this to our friends!

3  Thank wafs1

Reviewed 14 May 2009

Nothing less than outstanding. The location is superb, the service was excellent. The front desk helped every chance they got. The room was big with lots of electrical outlets & more than enough storage space. The bathroom had a user-friendly layout also. With the free breakfast & free wi-fi you couldn't ask for better. I'd never stay anywhere else.
Sophia at the front desk was the most helpful.

2  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed 11 May 2009

we've a pleasant experience in this hotel. Despite of its location (in the city center), the place is really quiet. Our room was quite small but very cosy, moreover with a kitchen, with a baby it was very useful! the only drawback : the air-conditionning wasn't running very well. The breakfast was excellent and perfect before a long day walking!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank PerrineJulien
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I am writing this review during my vacation in Madrid. We have some down time before having dinner at El Botin at 11:15 so I figured I'd write a helpful review because I know I'm never going to get around to doing this when I get back to the US.

First off, the location is excellent. It is right smack in the middle of everything. At least everything touristy. You'll have no problem taking a quick stroll to most of the major tourist sites in central Madrid. The absolute best thing about this hotel is the location. Really convenient and excellent.

Now for the rest of the review. I was a little disappointed, but to be honest, I shouldn't have been. Trip Advisor got it right when they said it was a 3 star hotel. Typically I stay in 4 star hotels (nothing ridiculous but places like the Hyatt, Marriott, Loews, W...etc), and this place is definitely not a 4 star place. There are some modern trendy aspects of the hotel but it most definitely is not luxurious in anyway shape or form. The beds are mediocre, the floors have a fake (plastic) carpet and pretty much everything else is Ikea quality at best. The room has a musty smell but I don't mind it much. The air conditioner is old and the bathroom is just mediocre. They really couldn't add the modern/trendy touches to the bathroom.

Overall, this place is just very average. I ended up forking over 140 EUR per night which isn't ridiculous by any means, but in this economy, I am able to priceline 4-star hotels in NY and Chicago in the US for around USD 100 or less...so yes, I was and am a little disappointed.

All in all, we are having a great time in Madrid. The city is beautiful, and this hotel, although a bit disappointing, hasn't had any real detrimental effects on the vacation. Be careful for pick pocketers!!!! I was pick pocketed but thankfully I ran after the guy and got my stuff back. You won't be so lucky. Please come prepared and be especially paranoid/careful on the subway!!!

We also spent some time in Barcelona. We stayed at a place called hotel MUR MURI and I cannot recommend it enough. Now that is a place with class and luxury. It also had a boutique feel. If you are planning on spending time in Barcelona please check out that hotel. It is also smack in the middle of everything there.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh, and Laura has a decent breakfast, but MurMuri has a better one. MurMuri is pretty much better than Laura in every way but it is a tad bit more expensive but completely worth it.

Mike

1  Thank mikeyp626
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Very nice and friendly hotel in Madrid (old-centre)... good adres to share a room with Laura ;-)

Reviewed 23 April 2009

Our room was great. The staff went out of their way to help us get together with the rest of our party at another hotel when our cell phones wouldn't work. They were friendly and helpful with all of our needs. The location was perfect for us - we ended up walking all over Madrid and fell in love with the city and Room Mate Laura.
This trip was a 40th wedding anniversary for trip for us with our adult children. The hotel became the central gathering point for us all.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank harrington80
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We spent 4 nights at Room Mate Laura and we were very disappointed. We had booked a penthouse room as it was a special romantic weekend. On arrival we were given our keys and could not believe that we had been given a room with twin beds, i went to reception to discuss and they explained that they did not have a double bed available, they did not even try to put sheets on the bed for us to disguise the gap in the middle.

It was not until we threatened to move to another hotel that they came up with another room. This room was on the ground floor without a view and was just above the main door where we were kept awake with the doors opening and closing all night. The rooms were basic without any luxury touches that you would expect at this price and from the adverts.

The rooms have air conditioning but are centerally controlled, our room was very hot and we could not open the window but we could not cool it down with the ac which was very disappointing.

The hotel is very close to the town centre but is next to a square where the homeless hangout all day and all night. There are a number of bars next to the hotel where the noisy revellers fall out at all hours of the morning...not quiet.

Two members of the staff were very helpful.

Please look at other hotels in Madrid for a little more money with great rooms and better facilities and more comfortable rooms.

4  Thank MATDEN40