“Nice place”
Review of Mad Hostel

Mad Hostel
Ranked #50 of 412 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The room was nice and had space to walk around. Good location, can walk to most anywhere.
Breakfast a little slim, I like yogert and granola.
Great person who did the tour of Madrid. Learned alot and he kept my attention. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, it was quiet and stairs weren't bad. The key thing for the main door...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Mad Hostel

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was travelling with 3 other girls, so we booked a 4 person room. The room was SO TINY! There was about a meter in between bunk beds and a meter at the end of each bunk bed and thats about all the floor space. We were climbing over each other and had to take it in turns to access our bags. Luckily we all knew each other... I would feel very uncomfortable in this room with strangers. I am not sure if all the rooms were like this or not.
Besides this the hostel was good. Friendly staff. Offer a free walking tour and run some bar crawls which were awesome fun.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The staff were usually very helpful, even if not always so friendly. Faculties were pretty clean and the beds comfortable, though not being able to control the A/C from my room was a bit odd - woke up freezing a few nights despite it being in the height of summer. Lots of effort is put into activities for travellers and the rooftop bar was a good place to hang out with new room mates and make some good friends - as a solo traveller can definitely recommend it as a way to get to know some people in the city. The lock system on the doors can be really tricky to get the hang of too, make sure you get the staff to REALLY explain how it works.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We took a punt on Mad Hostel when visting Madrid for a weekend in October 2012. We arrived after a late flight but made sure we had contacted the hostel in advance to let them know our ETA. When we finally arrived at the hostel, the young French guy on the reception was really efficient in checking us in and very helpful in recommending some bars and places for us to visit.
All of the rooms had electronic locks which gave them a great sence of security. There were also lockers in the rooms which were activated by using the same 'watch' we were given to access the room. The beds were good and even though we had a full room of 6 on both evening there still seemed to be enough space for all of us. I was particually placed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms and shower facilities which looked (and smelt) as though they were cleaned 3 times+ a day which, in a medium sized hostel like this, is quite a nice luxury.
The free buffet breakfast in the morning was adequet to set you up for the day. On certain days the hostel also offers a free walking tour of the city which is run with its 'sister' hostel 'Catz'. I would definately recommend this tour to get the most out of the city in a short period of time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Mad Hostel with my wife in a twin room with bathroom. Excellent value at around €45 / night. The location is perfect, in a quiet street very close to restaurants and bars in Plaza Santa Ana and easy access to all the main tourist attractions. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The only negatives...our room had no window and the breakfast is very basic.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a window
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed in early Feb for a night, and apparently the hostel had just reopened after some vibrant renovations. That would explain why it seemed like it was just my friend, our 3 roomies and I staying in the entire place, cause we did not run into anyone else during our stay!

The room keys were extremely fiddly to use, you had to do some weird twisty thing with the doorknob after you swiped it. The staff member on duty was really helpful, but probably partially because he was so bored with no other guests there!

There were taps at the bar that were not yet running, only a beer vending machine.. but they didn't seem to mind that we brought our own drinks in. They offer some bar crawls which are all done through their sister hostel which is a walkable distance away. I didn't get to do much sightseeing but there is a metro station and supermarket nearby.

There were no wallplugs in the rooms, but heaps in the common room and some free computers for use.

Everything was really clean, I guess cause it had just been reopened. Overall it was a pretty boring and deserted hostel, but things may have picked up since I was there

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Spent a week in Spain with a weekend in Madrid, spent one night here and couldn't fault it. Went with a group of friends from a college group, common room has a nice young vibe with music playing but not blaring. Went out in the night but managed to sleep peacefully with no disruptions! Nice shower/bathroom. Breakfast included in the morning-nothing special but all and all a very good experience especially considering it was like €8 a night! Only thing I would say is only go in groups of 5/6 if you don't wanna have others staying in the room as I have heard that they do that but was not a problem for us! I would return

• Stayed: February 2013