“Has everything you need”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mad Hostel

Mad Hostel
Ranked #43 of 410 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
“Has everything you need”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

You can't expect a lot from a hostel but this one won't let you down. It has wifi available in the rooms, a decent breakfast, clean rooms and bathrooms. It's very close to the Anton Martin metro station, so it has a decent location as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Pretty good location for a Madrid hostel because it is very close to the metro. Rooms are decent but the locks are terrible and confusing to open. I would skip breakfast because there is not much and they seem to advertise tons of bar crawls. Can be pretty loud when younger groups stay but the staff is friendly and helpful!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Salamanca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hostel is well located but it was dirty and noisy. The bathroom was smelling vomite and there was hair everywhere. Many drunk people. Noisy street. I slept 3 hours during my whole night at mad hostel.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Flouff

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I love centrally located stays, and this one fit the bill. Minutes from the metro and close to a number of good restaurants, the only downside is that the bars are open very late so ear-plugs are a good idea. The room was clean, the bathroom was well equipped (including blow dryer) and everything looked exactly as the photos on the website. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was the only weak point, with too many sugary options and not much else. Coffee was cold, so I went out for that. Other than that, I highly recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Top floor is near the patio deck, and even though they have a curfew for it, the partiers can be a b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I thought this hostel was great! Free breakfast in the morning was awesome, cereal, toast and pastries and it gives you the opportunity to meet new people. I did the walking tour offered by the hostel and it was really good. Learned a lot about the city and again was able to meet new people. The bathrooms were always very clean and the rest of the hostel as well! Staff was friendly and tried to include everyone is activities. Ways to improve: I would´ve liked to hear spanish music playing instead of popular English songs. It would´ve added to the ambience of the place in a good way in my opinion. Also, the big comforters in the bedrooms do not seem to be washed after every stay. I know this is common in hostels, however it would be nice to have completely clean bedding. Lastly, it takes a while to get used to the doors and the locks so be patient at first! But maybe there´s an easier system that could be used? Thanks for a great stay, I will defenitely be back if I ever visit Madrid again :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

So the reason why I rate it like this is just the price, because you really get a lot for such a cheap stay.
The room wasn't very good (door to bathroom couldn't be opened easily) and it was really noisy during the night.
But if you want to be in the centre of Madrid without spending much money...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Marta H, Manager at Mad Hostel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Mad. We will look into the bathroom door problem to see what we can do to fix it. We are sorry that you thought it was noisy, as we try to encourage everyone to respect those staying around them. Thank you for commenting because it will help us to see what we can do to make future visits even better. We hope that if you find yourself in Madrid again you will return to Mad.
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

My stay in Mad Hostel on the weekend of February 21-23 was the worst hostel stay of my entire life. The first night that I stayed there the top bunk and the person sleeping in it fell on me. I have bruises down the entire left side of my body after this event occurred. When I contacted the staff about this issue, they came up to find the bed too small for the frame. Once I contacted the hostel's manager she claimed that nothing was found wrong with the bed, and instead of refunding me she threatened to charge me 100 euro for alcohol that was in the room. (there was no alcohol found in the room). I would NEVER stay at this hostel ever again. The service is awful and so was my stay there.

Room Tip: A) never stay at this hostel B) if you decide to stay here, make sure you choose a top bunk so tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Maria S
Marta H, Gerente at Mad Hostel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hello,

First of all, We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us and for the mishaps that you experienced. The staff at Mad makes an earnest effort to ensure that all of our guests are happy and feel taken care of.

As expressed to you directly when you were here, we are profoundly sorry with the incident you experienced with the bunk bed in your room. However, it is somewhat surprising to us that when our staff went to check on the beds, they, to the best of their knowledge, found nothing wrong with the frame or the mattress. In fact, you yourself refused a change of room for the rest of your days of your stay. We would have expected that given the situation, this would have been what you wanted. Additionally, at that moment you did not report any physical hurt or bruising… But, of course, we are again sorry to hear if this has been the case.

We, at MAD, take safety very seriously and make every attempt to ensure that everything is safe and secure for our guests and, therefore implement regular quality inspections of all our facilities. In fact, we are often congratulated by our guests for the quality of all our furniture and equipment.

It is our policy to ask our guests not to bring alcohol into the rooms and so at the check in, we ask ALL guests to sign a document stating that they will not bring alcohol inside of the premises at any point. Nevertheless, when our staff went to check on the beds after your complaint, they were surprised to find various alcoholic beverages in the room. We do have the recordings of the security cameras to prove this, in case there is any doubt. As mentioned, the document that you signed means you accept responsibility for breaking the rules which entails a fine of 100€.

We apologize if you felt that we threatened you, but please note that this is just internal policy we must all follow. However, we did feel for your uncomfort and possible shake up, so we decided to let this pass. What did not seem reasonable for us was to refund your whole stay for no tangible reason. We are sorry that you do not agree with this.