“Perfect nights sleep”

Ranked #26 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect nights sleep”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

A very comfortable stay in this lovely hotel. Great location, excellent service, perfect breakfast variety. By far the highlights were thr the deep bath tub, responsive aircon and very comfortable bed. One of the best hotels on this trip

Room Tip: I was originally given room 307 but the lift was almost in my room so I moved
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Perth
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was an excellent hotel in every way. Although we arrived very early we were welcomed in a very friendly and accommodating way. We were lucky enough to have immediate access to our room which was palatial. We actually were staying in one of the "dreamers" rooms which is the most basic of the options at the hotel. The breakfast was excellent and had a very good selection of cooked options as well as the extensive buffet.
In a conversation with the receptionist we mentioned that our RENFE train was late. She told us that we would be entitled to a percentage refund, which we did not know. The receptionist also phoned RENFE to confirm that a refund would be available and gave us information about how to get the refund.
Look out for Ballet Flamenco when in Madrid. They did an excellent production of Carmen combining opera, flamenco and ballet in the Teatro Rialto while we were there in June. A company of wonderful dancers and four excellent musicians at a cost of around 22 euros.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I was a little disappointed with our room at Hospes Madrid. The open floor plan between bathroom and bedroom did not bother us as it has others, but the lack of any drawers or shelves to unpack our clothes did. There was only room to hang a few items, and if we had stayed just one night, it would not have been an issue. But we had large suitcases to contend with (were continuing our travels on to Barcelona for another week after our three night stay at the Hospes). To struggle with our suitcases on the floor for three days was pretty inconvenient and messy (and hard on my back). (and definitely not five stars)!

Our 4th floor deluxe room was fairly small and dark, and nothing much deluxe about it. (I had paid for an upgrade from the "dreamer" room which I had read on Trip Advisor reviews, was dark. Maybe they put us in one of those rooms anyway? They said they hadn't, but beware). Even though it had windows, they looked down into an empty interior building space (and not over any courtyard) which didn't feel very private (rooms were very close across the space), and didn't let in much light. When we were first shown the room I expressed my concern about the lack of light, and the lack of privacy when the drapes were open, and after a 24 travel day, my disappointment must have shown on my tired face. I was surprised he made absolutely no effort to show us another room that looked onto the front of the building, to see if we would be more comfortable. The hotel seemed far from full. I didn't want to be pushy, and I was exhausted, so I let it go.

There was a small recessed desk area, with a wall switch that operated an outlet under the desk, but no light plugged in. The darkness made that space unusable- even in daylight it was too dark. I mentioned it to one of the staff, and he replied that they had no lights to put there, and it was part of the "minimalist look" of the room. (Then why the light switch on the wall?) Another issue was the bed. Not so great. Woke up with a pretty sore back every morning - in fact, my back hurt so much I had to get out of bed much earlier than I would have liked.

On the positive side: I found that most of the staff at the front desk to be extremely helpful and nice. Every day and night they greeted us with genuine warmth. They were the best part of the hotel experience.
The location was also a plus. Very safe, quiet, and pretty. Very convenient to the Prado museum and of course, Retiro Park is across the street. I would highly recommend going to a Flamenco performance at Corral de la Moreia - the best place to see flamenco. (cab ride away).
If I travel back to Madrid, I don't think I'd go back to the Hospes. The room, the bed, and lack of any space to put our clothes outweigh the friendliness of the staff, or the cleanliness of the hotel. I wish I could say differently, but that was our honest impression. Hotel room comfort is very important to us- as much as the beauty and friendliness of the city we are visiting.

4 Thank travelogue23
Dubai
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed with a girl friend in Hospes Madrid for 3 nights. The hotel's location is great, in the middle of Salamanca and walking distance to other big attractions such as Puerto del Sol, Gran Via and Plaza Mayor. We stayed in a deluxe suite which had a really nice decor (although wooden floor was damaged in certain places and removed from the floor!) and a huge impressive bathroom with lovely Korres products (but the shower smelled of mould). Despite this the look and feel of the room is very nice (high ceilings which makes the room feel very grand) and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They made several last minute reservations for us and were always on hand to recommend places etc. The hotel has 2 bikes available to use for its hotel guests which is a great way to see Madrid. It is a boutique hotel, so perhaps you won't get the service or facilities you would receive in The Ritz but you can't beat the location and friendly staff. Riding a bike in the tree lined streets in Salamanca you feel like a local rather then a tourist. We had a wonderful time in Hospes Madrid and hope to return one day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed in the hotel for two nights at the end of May. The hotel is perfectly located near Puerta del Alcala and opposite Retiro park, in the upmarket area of Salamanca. We stayed in one of the junior suites, which was spacious and very tastefully decorated. Staff were very friendly and recommended excellent places for dinnner (El Paraguas was our favourite but there are plenty of really good places around), as well as helped book hair and beauty treatments in the area. There is an excellent champagne bar, just outside the hotel, which looks like one of the happening places in the Madrid right now. Overall an excellent choice and we will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Great location - close to the lovely parque del retiro, main shopping streets and a short walk to Plaza Mayor.

We didn't find the staff overly friendly - maybe even verging on a bit rude at times.

I'm surprised this hotel advertises itself as 5 star. In my opinion, it's a long way off a 5 star in terms of little touches, service, etc. But it's nice all the same.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was nice. The king size bed was 2 separate singles pushed together. But they were separate. Separate sheets, duvets, etc which wasn't ideal but very comfy. And there was a lovely big bath in the room.

To sum up, it's definitely not a 5 star hotel - but we did like it. It's a decent 4 star hotel in a great location.

1 Thank Laney1984
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Great location, walking distance to everything. Staff was helpful but English was poor (not a problem for us since my husband speaks Spanish). Room was clean and new but can be loud because nightclub downstairs on weekends.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple