“5 Star in every way”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancashire
“5 Star in every way”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I can not say enough good things about this hotel. Perfect location, luxurious, friendly and exceptionally professional staff, everything you could possibly need or want. Without a doubt this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It may be a bit pricier than some hotels but believe me it is worth it!

Room Tip: You get an upgrade if you have visited before
2 Thank 2Fussy4words
MEMadrid, Manager at ME Madrid Reina Victoria, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your inspiring remarks. It is nice to know that we succeeded on our efforts.

I hope to welcome you personally on your next trip and wish you all the best.

Aura Experience Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times, both at The Level (upper rooms with the pretty balcony). Firstly, let me state here that for the money you pay in ME, you could sleep in the Ritz, the AC Retiro (a beautiful palace conversion in Retiro park), or pretty much any other property in Madrid. So how does Me Reina Victoria compare?

Firstly, the rooms at The Level are tiny. Not small by European standards, but the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in and I'd like to point out that I've slept in a bigger Ryokan room in central Tokyo for less money. In both occasions, I've stayed in rooms which where nothing more than a bed stuck between the balcony and the bathroom door. Also note that the bathroom has a white glass door in close proximity to the bead's head which guarantees that you will wake up your companion needlessly every time you use the bathroom. The room's deco is also disappointing. The only 'fashionable' statement in the room are a large purple maxi-fridge which occupies a precious little portion of the room and blocks the balcony and a few words by Bowie in the mirror. The room design is naff, with pine coloured wood and identical 'artwork' in every room. Overall, the room feels like a glorified coffin or a student's hall, somehow cheap and small.

With regards to the location, you are in Plaza Santa Ana which is a vibrant and lively square in Madrid where you can happily enjoy a coffee or a cold beer in one of the many terraces but be warned that no local eats in any of the surrounding restaurants as they are overpriced and the food is bad.

Finally, let me state that my experience with the staff was mixed. I dealt with capable, polite people and also with untrained and unpleasant ones which is a cardinal sin in a property on this price range. I also intent to review the restaurant and The Penthouse (rooftop terrace) as they leave much to be desired.

Overall, I'd like you to consider what your money buys you in Madrid before you head to this hotel. There are far better locations and hotels with better facilities and it's almost guaranteed that you will have larger, more comfortable rooms anywhere in Madrid for the price. It is also incredibly frustrating having to deal with staff which will not help solve a problem or bluff their way out (i.e the don't have a working internet but they will not admit to it).

I travel to Madrid nearly every two weeks and I can safely say that I will not stay in Me again.

2 Thank MissMartinih
Dear MissMartinih

First of all I would like to thank you for taking your time to comment on our Hotel and the services rendered. We highly value your opinion for process of continuous improvement and as a base for making our guests stay more enjoyable every time.

At ME Madrid our aim is to exceed the expectations of our guests, and we deeply regret when we do not fully achieve this.

With great concern I have received your negative comments about the Hotel. I would like to apologize for these unusual accumulations of shortcomings. I hope that you will reconsider to stay at our Hotel on your next visit to Madrid. We would like to demonstrate that this Hotel is usually delivering the service that is expected from a Melia Hotel. You can contact me on the following email address: jose.arenas@melia.com in order to take care of all the details.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Yours sincerley,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2011

It's about time I got around to writing this review. I visited Madrid with my fiancée in March this year. I booked 3 nights in the Melia Reina. We stayed in the urban suite (double room with separate lounge, bedroom and bathroom). With this suite came a variety of upgrades - which to be honest - I had no idea about when booking, which made the visit all the more engaging upon arrival....Our own "guest experience manager" 24 hours a day, privileged access to a VIP area on the rooftop penthouse terrace and unlimited easy access to drinks at the Midnight rose bar even when full of general public on Friday evening.
The hotel is superbly located in the centre of town more or less and has walking distance access to almost all of the tourist hotspots in the city - it really depends on how much you like to get out and about.
We found all of the hotel staff extremely helpful and friendly with really good local knowledge - plenty of advice given on the best places to visit and the best times to visit them - which to me, is even more important as Madrid is one busy city!
Throughout the hotel you are greeted with a different fragrance depending on where about you are and what time of the day - Wonderful.
The mini bar (we had two!) is well stocked with an excellent selection of refreshments (as you would expect from a 5 star) as guess what.....you can even purchase the various fragrances from your own mini bar! - Nice touch I thought.
The room was equipped with an iPod which had the full selection of the various styles of music which is constantly playing around the hotel, and it even had the selected playlist from the exact room where you will have heard it playing - lobby bar late evening for e.g. - Genius!!
Hotel could have done with a gym or massage facility as we liked to walk around the city and see the sites, so the end of the day would suit a foot massage! This is offered at the sister Gran Melia hotel near-by though and can be arranged by reception all too easy.
Breakfast was excellent - with a wide variety of delights - if anything the breakfast room was a bit small - but well kitted out.
Restaurant had great reviews - We didn't actually eat there but we met several people during breakfast that had nothing but good things to say.
Drinks where good - beers & wine were cold, and the speciality "dark mojito" was excellent - but be warned, the cocktails are pricey around 14euro per mojito....but it is a 5 star and you do feel like a privileged individual drinking it at this hotel.

Will we go back?....

Of course, I'm back there in September!

Frederick

Room Tip: Go out of season and ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fred3rick
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your inspiring remarks and very positive comments. It is nice to know that we succeeded on our efforts.

I hope to welcome you personally again on your next trip and wish you all the best.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I have been travelling to Madrid on a regular basis for two and a half years. I have stayed at many hotels in that time and discovered the ME Reina Victoria in early 2010. I have stayed there many times and can honestly say that it has become a home from home for me.

First the down side - cost.

It's not cheap, and a beer in the bar is quite pricey even by central Madrid standards. It also doesn't have a pool, but nor do most Madrid hotels. Simple solution - book early for the best deals, and limit your drinking (there are plenty of alternatives nearby if needed).

Now the up sides.

The outstanding feature of this hotel is the staff. The service is truly exceptional - no detail is missed, everyone from senior management to the "doers" is completely dedicated to making your stay as pleasant as possible.

There are two bars - Midnight Rose on the ground floor which was voted "best in the world" in 2008 I think - and the Penthouse on the roof. Both are uber-cool, frequented by beautiful people, and are the place to be seen. The Penthouse is only open during the warmer months and is often hired out for private functions, but it's worth a trip up there just for the views across Madrid. The restaurant food is high class, and the tapas menu in the bar is outstanding (also reasonable value).

The rooms are modern style, wooden floors, minimalist, but very comfortable. Most rooms seem to have superb walk-in showers and very good bathroom facilities. You have the usual hotel TV system, but also a DVD and connection for iPod and radio with excellent sound system. All rooms have irons too. If you can, go for the higher floors because Plaza de Santa Ana is busy until the early hours, but the hotel thoughtfully provides ear plugs, and actually the sound insulation is good anyway.

There is a gym in the basement which has two each of running machine, cross-trainer, stepper, and also free-weights. It's rarely busy. If it's not too hot outside, then the Retiro Park is exactly 1km away and is a great place to go running.

The hotel is well-placed for the top cultural attractions: the Prado, Thyssen Bornemisza, Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace and the shopping around Sol. There are dozens of bars and restaurants to choose from in the area. For users of the metro system, Sol is 5 minutes away, Atocha 10 minutes. The airport is a €30 taxi ride.

Honestly, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I've been there on business and leisure and would not want to stay anywhere else in Madrid.

Room Tip: book early, ask for a higher floor
3 Thank JimClose
MEMadrid, Manager at ME Madrid Reina Victoria, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear Mr. Close,

Even though we frequently receive positive comments about our Hotel, yours were exceptional.

Be assured that we will encourage our team to continue with our efforts to achieve continuous improvement and exceptional service.

Thanking you again for your inspiring remarks, I really hope to welcome you soon back to your home in Madrid!

All the best,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I was so impressed with the value for money at this hotel. It is very modern and is in such a central location. It is sits right in the Plaza Santa Ana where there is a hive of activity and plenty of tapas bars and restaurants to chose from. It is centrally located within 5 minutes walking distance to Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Gran Via and almost everything else is within walking distance. It is not too far from the airport and the taxi cost me 37EU. You can also catch a train if you wish as the Puerta del Sol station is close by (note - you will have to change train stations to arrive at Puerta del Sol).

As soon as you walk in you feel welcomed. The ambience they have created with the decor and music is warm and inviting. The rooms are well sized for European city standards. I stayed in a standard room and it was perfect. The bathroom was a good size too and very modern - the shower was large and even had extra jets on the side which were very luxurious! Despite being so central to all the activity you are able to sleep well as you cannot hear any noise from outside and they have the softest sheets. The tv also has many channels with about 9 different languages to chose from - handy if your Spanish skills are as bad as mine!

The service was also great. My only regret is that I didn't have a chance to visit the Roof Top Bar.

If I return to Madrid this would my first hotel choice.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mon_Petit14
Dear Guest,

I hope to welcome you personally on your next trip and wish you all the best.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I recently travelled to Spain for a three city vacation (Madrid, Marbella and Sevilla). I stayed in Madrid for 2 nights on the front end and one night on the back end of my trip. From the moment I booked my trip the staff at the ME Madrid made me feel like a welcomed guest. Miriam De la Horra, an Experience Manager for the ME Madrid, contacted me by e-mail to make sure that I had everything I needed for my trip. She arranged for car service to and from the airport to the hotel and when I arrived at the hotel, she personally took me to my room and described all of the wonderful hotel amenities. I stayed on the LEVEL floor - which I highly recommend. On the front end of my stay I had a spectacular terrace off of my room with a 6 person dining table on one level and 2 relaxing lounge chairs on the other. The room and terrace had a view of the sky and after a long trip from the States to Spain - that is all I wanted to gaze at. On the back end, I stayed in a LEVEL room with a wonderful view of the Plaza that sits in front of the hotel. From my balcony I could hear the street musicians play and gaze at all the people enjoying a good bottle of wine and a fabulous meal. Speaking of fabulous meals - Miriam did it again with a wonderful restaurant recommendation when I mentioned my craving for paella on my last day in Madrid. I must admit that up until this point I was not very impressed with the customer service I received in most restaurants throughout Spain. Whether it was a negative American sentiment or the lack of a tip incentive (which is silly - I tip for good service no matter the country) - the restaurant staff in Spain was pretty consistently rude. Not my paella restaurant - the service was sublime. From hot dinner rolls, to LARGE water bottles at our table (you will only get that if you have ordered water at a meal in Spain) and attentive service (plus fantastic food), my niece and I could not stop raving about our dining experience.

It would not be fair if I did not mention all the other staff at the ME Madrid that made my visit so special. Many thanks go to the room service staff who not only kept the Cava bottles coming - but took the time to recommend places to visit and bars that would be fun for my niece and her friends. Also, the front desk staff, each time I left the hotel and entered it I was greeted with a big smile and warm greeting. And housekeeping - my room was always clean and tidy and I welcomed the turn down service at night.

The ME Madrid far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend the hotel without any concerns to business travellers, couples and people travelling with older children that want to be in a lively area of town. Fabulous restaurants are steps away from the hotel and the museums are a healthy walk or quick cab ride away.

Last note, each night at turn down a pair of ear plugs was left for me. I have lived in NYC and many other major cities so street noise is not a problem. But if you are a light sleeper - the hotel has a very trendy bar on the roof and the noise may be a bother. HOWEVER, it did not bother me one bit!! LOVE THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzee2351
MEMadrid, Manager at ME Madrid Reina Victoria, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Our aim at ME Madrid Hotel is to provide memorable experiences that go purely beyond the expectations of all our guests and it is very satisfaying to know that we have succeeded in our efforts.
Thank you on behalf of our team for sharing your ME experience in Tripadvisor and we are looking forward to welcome you again in ME Madrid.

Best regards,

José Arenas
Aura Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Excellent hotel.

Staff are friendly and helpful (not a given in Madrid, where incredibly rude service is commonplace).

The hotel is clean and very well-located. Plaza Santa Ana is great - lively, but much nicer than some of the "major" plazas (e.g., Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor) which have a very Times Square feel - "tourist-trappy"; kind of trashy. It's within minutes of these sites, also of the Prado.

The room we had was very small - if we'd known we'd have booked a larger room (I think the room we booked was described as "Deluxe").

Room Tip: The smallest rooms are very small.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DHLa
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.

We hope to welcome you soon back to ME Madrid and would like to offer you a free upgrade to one of our Supreme Rooms. You can contact me on email: jose.arenas@melia.com.