“Awesome find in great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Luz

Hostal Luz
Ranked #37 of 280 Madrid B&B and Inns
carcol29
“Awesome find in great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I recently stayed at Hostal Luz when I went to Madrid for 5 days on an impromptu solo trip. It was my first time in Madrid so I had no idea where to stay and the location. After some research here on TripAdvisor, I came up with this Hostel. I have never stayed at a Hostel before and to be honest, I never heard anything good about staying at Hostels. Well, I read all the reviews here and decided to take a chance. The price was well worth it. I took one of those shared shuttle vans from the Barajas Airport and gave them the address as to where to drop me off. Margarita at the front desk was exactly as the reviews said, very nice and gave great info and tips for a newbie like me. Loved her! The hotel is hard to find itself since it has a small unnoticeable sign on the outside, but again, go by the number since you can barely see the sign. I liked this, I felt like a local just going to a house. When you enter the building, it's on the 4th floor (I think) but there is a small modern glass elevator that is tine but it fit myself and 2 luggage. If your claustrophobic, then close your eyes. The walk up with luggage will not be fun. The elevators are great, with no problems. I had reserved a single room with a bathroom and that is what I got. It was perfect for me. I arrived about 11am so Margarita said she would put me in one of the "older room" for the day so I didn't have to wait. This room is No. 5 and literally the first room next to the Lobby. I truly had no problems at all with this room, it had 2 twin beds, small tv, heat, small bathroom, safe, window that opens and an big armoire. Again, it was perfect for me since I didn't need much, I didn't plan on staying in anyway. I told her that this was fine and I will stay there during my stay. She gives you 3 keys on the keychain, 1 for the big outside door (from the sidewalk), another for the hostel door on the 4th floor and then 1 for your room. They were all color coated so it was easy to remember. I was beyond happy with this place. I felt safe and it was very clean. One thing to know (which I didn't) was that they have a rule that they HAVE TO clean your room each day. I kept the "do not disturb" sign on the door thinking I was giving them a break since I don't need much housekeeping but when I saw the lady (can't remember her name) she told me she had to go in. That was fine with me, wish I knew so I didn't leave such a mess! She cleaned and did what she had to do and kept all my mess in a pile. I left things opened and nothing was missing, it's definitely a trustworthy place! Oh and I used their free Wi-Fi, which Margarita will give you the info and had no issues. It was always available. They also give you a breakfast pass for a local restaurant for each day you stay there. I went to have breakfast there and it was great. Again, this place is a gem for the price!! The location was AMAZING!! about a 4 minute walk to Plaza Mayor. You are in the middle of everything. There is everything near by grocery store, San Isabel station, San Miguel Food Market, pharmacy, shops and restaurants. I got pretty lucky finding this place! Oh one thing to mention is that I am a female and travelled by myself, not knowing the area or anyone in the country. This was totally safe! I came in and out of the Hostel at all hours of the day and night and never felt unsafe! So if that is a concern, don't let it be. I plan on going to Madrid again and I will definitely stay at Hostal Luz again. So worth it, you will not be disappointed at all. Save your money on other swanky hotels and spend more on the food and wine in Spain, which is outstanding!!! Also, leave a nice tip for the cleaning lady!
Thank you Margarita and Hostal Luz, I will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: I didn't need much other than my own bathroom so that is the only thing I wanted and I received...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank carcol29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently visited to Madrid a few times and stayed its single room with/without bathroom. This hostal is nowadays my base for sightseeing whenever I travel to Madrid! I'm quite impressed by its high quality such as cleanness and tidiness, and the helpful and friendly owner, Margerita. I wonder why we can overnight at such a lovely accommodation with affordable price in the middle of Madrid. It's just adjacent to Opera and also easy to get to Sol whilst it's completely peaceful at night. Another thing I always look forward to is breakfast which is served at the bar nearby. It's a Spanish-style bar and shows us traditional colour. Despite one downside that it's a bit tricky to find the entrance, I'd be sure many of guests feel tranquil once coming in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dai H
Garstang, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Excellent location near to the "Opera" underground station. Took an hour to transfer from the airport, but easy to find. Near everywhere, Plaza Mayor etc. Great attention by Margarita (owner). Rooms are comfortable, quiet, clean. I probably didn't get one of the better rooms, but it was adequate for my stay and cheap. Wifi didn't work that well in my room, but I was probably furthest away from the office, wifi was perfect if you sat in reception. The bathrooms (even shared bathrooms) are clean and nice. Would stay here again, location was 12/10

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul H
Arrowtown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I live in New Zealand, and for work I have been in Madrid 3 times, in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and now I have to go again in January 2014, for 7 days. I found Hostal Luz in internet when I went in 2010 for first time and I loved it!! Always that I have to go to Madrid I am staying at Hostal Luz!!!
Excellent Location!! Excellent Service!!(Margarita is great!!!) Free Internet! Great Breakfast at the Opera Cafe!! We love the place in the heart of Madrid!!!
I recommend this place to all my friends!! It is a great value for money!!!
Highly recommended it!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent location, near everywhere. Great attention by Margarita (owner). Rooms are comfortable, quiet, clean. The bathrooms (even shared bathrooms) are very clean and nice. Definitely we are going to stay here again in our next visit to Madrid

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel G
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed in Hostal Luz from Oct. 28 to Nov. 2nd. Excellent location close to some of the nicest parts of Madrid. Small, but lovely & clean rooms, We asked for a room with two separate beds and had indicated that on the booking form, it was confirmed and when we arrived we had a lovely room, with fridge and A/C. Reasonable rates for such a well situated hotel. Three computer terminals available to guests. Free wifi in rooms.
Good breakfast in "La Traviata" restaurant, located close to Real Opera.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura_Stef
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

About as good as you'll ever get. I recently spent four nights here, whilst enjoying Madrid. The room was lovely, clean and bright. I was travelling solo, so only a single room, smallish in size, but perfectly adequate for my needs. And , for Europe, it was larger than others I've had. There was a safe for your valuables. A large bathroom, with a great shower ( something I'm fussy about ).
Margarita, the owner, was extremely sweet and delightful. Even with my broken Spanish, we had great exchanges about the best of Madrid. Upon my departure, she offered me a heartfelt thank you and goodbye.
The breakfast is supplied at a nearby restaurant. Whilst not spectacular, it was nice coffee and croissant. You could order extra, of course at your expense. Do what I did, have an early coffee and then wait for the Mercado San Miguel and eat until your full.
The location was perfect. Two or three minutes walk to Mercado San Miguel and Plaza Mayor in one direction with hundreds of restaurants leading of the plaza in the surrounding streets. In another direction, was the Palacio Real and the gardens, maybe four or five minutes walk.Then the Puerta del Sol in another direction only five minutes away. Close to the Opera metro station (2 mins) , I used the metro and it was brilliant to get around with.
A real gem!