“Rude bar staff, ridiculous breakfast rules, expensive food, avoid if you have children!”

SHS Hotel Aeropuerto
Ranked #355 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
las americas
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Just an overnight stay, rooms were clean and basic. Good free bus from airport. We have an 18 month old baby, there were no shops nearby and we had ran out of nappies. The staff in the hotel couldn't help with any information on where to get some. Even charged us 2 euros for a tiny glass of milk for the baby. The food was ridiculously expensive over 7euros for a baguette in the bar. The kids were hungry, and there was no where nearby at all to eat or buy food, so had to pay this. In the morning went down the buffet breakfast, my husband and I were not eating, just the two kids aged ten and eight, we were told we couldn't sit with them whilst they ate breakfast if we didn't order it as well!! We we told we could wait in the corridor whilst they ate! The woman in the restaurant was rude and abrupt, so we booked an early bus back to airport for connecting flight. Cheap night stay, but would rather pay a little more for customer service in a different hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a buggy make sure it's a room on ground floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lisa j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
london
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I'm giving this a one-star as it won't let me rate it zero. I was charged €164 for one night in this place, the normal price is around €40-50. The bathroom smelt of raw sewage, the bedroom didn't have any curtains and was on the ground floor, I did not feel safe. I pointed out the 'aroma' problem but was advised there were no other rooms available, I would have moved hotel but Madrid hotels were all full. The blocks of rooms must have been industrial units before, there's no sound-proofing, it's in an industrial estate and there's no lighting from the reception building to the prison blocks, if you're unstable on your feet I wouldn't advise staying here as the ground is uneven. The food's terrible and highly over-priced (there's nothing else near the hotel so they can charge what they like). There are no mini-bars in the rooms and no water available as the reception/restaurant closes at midnight. There was a vending machine in a tent in the car-park but there was no water in it! The 'welcome cocktail' didn't happen as there was nobody serving in the bar. At check-out I asked the receptionist if they could do anything with the price considering the bad room I had plus the cost but they weren't interested and quite grumpy that I had the affrontery to ask! The buffet breakfast was cold as their 'hotplates' didn't work, I thought I'd just make do with a coffee and croissant until I got to the airport, sadly the coffee was out of a vending machine and was also disgusting! I had to pay up the full cost, I feel robbed and would not recommend this hotel in any way, the worst place I've ever stayed (and I've stayed in some pretty seedy places that cost a fraction of this place!). STEER CLEAR!!

Room Tip: Go somehwere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kaz55

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

Close to the airport, very nice people at the reception. Rooms are clean only surounding is idustrial. Free shuttle service is fine. In Total is o.k for this price. Unfortunately the bar is closing at midnight and no real breakfast before 6 o'clock in the morning.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

As I'm in a reasonably good mood I'll round it up to a 2. Yes, it is 'an airport hotel', and sort of does what it says on the tin but firstly the transfer form the airport took an absolute age as they didn't seem to know who they were picking up from which terminal or when, Secondly felt like the check-in was a real chore for the people behind the desk. Third did not really enjoy walking around in the dark to find the room, and when we did I thought we'd been transported to a Pontins camp. Fourth, we had to leave early the next morning and the only thing on offer was a coffee making machine and a doughnut for breakfast, OK if you're Homer Simpson I guess. And the guy on the desk was really grumpy again.

Positives - clean and quite close to the airport.

Won't be rushing back there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Mendoza, Argentina
Reviewed 8 July 2012

From Barajas airport but Ok. If you arrive later than 9 Pm you have to call in order to ask for the schedule to pick you up, after that they show up about 15 minutes later.
Not a bad experience. Clean room and bathroom and a pretty good breakfast. The staff was kind but do not expect anyone carrying your luggage or walking you to the room.
No food after 9 pm except some packed sandwiches.
Schedule to the airport next day on time and good service.

Room Tip: Makes no difference
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Reviewed 5 November 2011

the hotel was kind of ok, clean… but internet did not work… transfer tend to be late sometimes… i nearly missed my transatlantic flight for that reason...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo