“Lovely little hotel”

Ranked #47 of 410 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Washington DC
“Lovely little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The location is great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. At arrival the only room available was one of the ones right on the lobby/front desk. The staff person warned me that it could be noisy at times and they would be happy to move me to another room the next day if I had any problems. The next day they followed up and asked if I wanted to move. I chose to stay in the same room with no problems. But I did appreciate the honesty and the follow up. You do hear people coming and going, so if you are a light or late sleeper you may want to request a quieter room. My room was very clean and comfortable, and the view to the plaza was very charming. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

Just arrived in Madrid, and arrived at hostel Triana. It has not changed, very friendly welcome, quick getting us into our room and still very clean. Located near the plaza sol in the centre of Madrid, an ideal for shopping.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Brownwood, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at Hostal Triana for 6 nights with a group of 16 people in May of 2012. I chose the Hostal because of its location, price, and particularly, because it has one room that is handicap accessible.

The hostal occupies the 2nd and 3rd floors of a five-story building approximately 2 1/2 blocks from the Puerta del Sol and 1/2 block from Gran Vía. It's location is unsurpassed! There is a taxi stand a few feet from the building entrance, and there are three separate metro stations within a few blocks--Sol, Gran Vía, and Callao. Because the hostal is in the center of the historic downtown area, it is also within walking distance to the art museums, the Royal Palace, the Plaza Mayor, the Plaza España, el Corte Inglés, tourist shops, restaurants, etc. Of course, comfortable shoes are a must!

The rooms are very basic--twin or full-sized mattresses, a small desk, a closet, and a small bathroon in each room. The bathrooms are very clean and there is plenty of hot water. You may opt to have a fresh towel every day, or for the more environmentally conscious, you may skip a day. I believe the rooms have heating and air-conditioning available but I did not use either. Because Madrid was unusually hot while we were there, I did use the ceiling fan every night. The hostal has a U-shaped configuration which means that some of the rooms have a balcony overlooking the Plaza del Carmen while others have a large window that opens to an interior courtyard. The rooms facing the plaza get lots of morning sunlight and fresh air, but they are noisier due to Madrileños evening exhuberance (especially during soccer season!). The interior rooms are darker because the windows are covered with privacy blinds and they are very quiet.

The staff is very helpful and accommodating! I requested a room change for two members of my group because of a strong fish odor coming from a fish market directly below their room. The change was made the same day, no questions asked. They also provided travel information from time to time.

I am very satisfied with Hostal Triana. I do have two suggestions, though. It would be nice if there were a computer with internet available for guests. This would have been extremely helpful on a couple of occasions during our stay. Also, I would have liked access to a refrigerator, either in the room or at the front desk. I prefer to have breakfast in my room, and a refrigerator for beverages would have been wonderful!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was leading a group of 18 around Spain - 16 teenager students and 2 teachers. I wanted to stay in Madrid for 2 nights and after much research on Tripadvisor, I chose Hostal Triana. Having been to Madrid before, I knew the location of where I wanted to be. Hostal Triana has an excellent location between the Gran Via and Puerta del Sol.
I emailed with Victor several times prior to our arrival in order to inquire and then confirm our reservation. He always answered email quickly and he made everything very easy. Once we arrived, all of the employees were very pleasant and helpful.
The rooms were on the smaller side, but clean. Bathrooms in each room. The price is extremely reasonable. I would definitely stay here again with a group of students. The only negative thing I could say is that the walls are very thin. We did not have the best night's sleep. If you're looking for a bargain in a great location, this is it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

This is a pleasant , well located hostel. The rooms are small, clean and reasonably priced. Do not expect help from the desk person as it is none available.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms facing the interior area.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Stockton, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here March 26, 2012, for four nights. Our first trip to Madrid. Excellent location, very clean room, although small , good view of Plaza del Carmen, helpful staff who spoke decent English. Great restaurant next door, reasonably priced. Plaza was noisy a couple of nights; we used foam ear plugs, which we always carry on trips, no problem sleeping. We definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oibore
Boulder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I've stayed at Hostal Triana twice: this year and last year. The place is a bargain. The rooms are basic and kept clean. The receptionists are exceptionally helpful and friendly. The hostal is just a couple of short blocks from the Gran Vía metro stop. Although the Gran Vía is rather noisy, the hostal doesn't get the noise.
I've only stayed here in fall and spring. Since there is no AC, summers could possibly get a bit hot, although my room did have a fan.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo