“Good Spot”

Colors Hostal Madrid
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Colors Hostal Madrid
Ranked #399 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Melbourne
“Good Spot”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Hostal Colors was a good hostal in a good location. It was clean and the water was hot and cold. The price was good and although it was noisy, we travel with ear plugs (ear putty) so it didn't affect us. We liked being in an area where there were lots of cafes, bars, tapas bars, pubs, shops and really in the heart of the City. The wi fi didn't work in the room but there is a computer at reception guests can use. That was our only complaint. The staff are courteous.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs. Oh, and we were robbed en route from the airport to the hostal via the metro. A gr...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney
Reviewed 20 June 2008

My mate and i stayed in Hostal Colors Host in Central Madrid for 3 nights in June 2008. The hostal is located smack bang in the middle of the city in a busy street with many good shops including some upmarket labels. The Hostal is also close to the Gay area in Madrid. We stayed in a double room. We were intially given a small double (and it is small although there is ample room to get around). We were then given a bigger double room for the next 2 nights. However the bathrooms were still smallish but we had no complaints. For a bargain 40 Euros, we found the rooms super clean, well maintained, super clean toilet (with 4 fresh towels) and bathrooms and it was very quiet outside.The showers had plenty of hot and cold water and it was super clean. The rooms smelled faintly of smoke and it is to be expected in Madrid where locals smoke in public places as well as in hotels and restaurants (although from my understanding, this is against the law). We stayed in a room facing a typical spanish courtyard and this was in itself a beautiful experience. I gather the rooms facing the courtyard were very quiet as opposed to the rooms facing the street. The passway leading to the rooms was at times smokey and a tad noisy with hotel guests thumping their way around but then again for a budget hostal in a super central location, the hostal was super!

• Liked — Lcoation and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Smoke in corridor and size of toilets
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
Frankfurt
Reviewed 20 April 2008

The hostel is situated in the 4th and 3th of a lively alternativ street near the center. Outside it looks a bit shaby but inside it is all friendly and newly renovated.

There are all kind of shops and some bars nearby and it is easy reachable by metro from the airport. (Only one change)

The check in area is very small but offers a free internet service.

The owner and his staff were friendly and helpful.

Because the card payment didn't work, we got a little breakfirst brought in our room for free.

The room was small but clean and nicely rennovated in IKEA style, the bed and shower were fine.

We had a sigth to a backward yard, but it wasn't noisy. I don't know how loud it can be on the streetside.

No tv was offered in this room, but we didn't matter.

A good choice if you want a central and inexpensive hostel for a few nights and don't call for luxery.

• Liked — price, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — size of the room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 15 January 2008

What you get for your money (in summary): -

- Unsafe and dangerous area
- You can’t keep your keys
- Small and very overpriced rooms
- Poor service from Philippino proprietors who speak limited English
- Noisy corridors in the middle of the night
- Broken or unfinished wardrobe
- No view, no air, limited daylight
- No facilities, TV or radio
- False and misrepresentative web site
- Bacteria infected beds with possible risk to human health

I have never written an online review for any other hostel or hotel before, but then, I've never caught a fungal infection on my back from any other place that I've ever stayed at!

The hostel is situated on the Calle de Fuencarral, which is a very long street running from Bilbao, in the north of Madrid, right into the centre, ending on the Gran Via (Madrid's equivalent of Oxford Street). Calle de Fuencarral is a fairly narrow road (one lane for traffic) and has nothing but clothes shops on both sides. At night this entire area becomes dark, fairly deserted and very eerie; quite worrying if you're travelling with anything valuable. As a guy I felt unsafe so I certainly wouldn’t recommend being alone in this area at night if you’re female.

The Colors Hostel is situated on the 4th floor (reception and rooms) and also has rooms on the 3rd floor. There is a small old fashioned lift. The proprietor’s insist on keeping your keys when you go out, and you have to press a door bell and announce yourself if you return after about 9pm, as they lock the main doors. It takes a while if nobody’s in reception, and it doesn’t feel very safe to wait outside for anything up to 10 minutes.

I stayed here for 2 nights in early December, and I had booked the room nearly 3-weeks in advance. I had spoken with the proprietor on several occasions, specifically requesting certain basic amenities i.e. TV, a double bed etc, which I was assured wouldn’t be a problem.

Upon arrival I was told by the proprietor’s wife, who was in the grubby little the reception area on the 4th floor with her daughter, that all the larger rooms were occupied (there are several larger and supposedly better rooms on the 4th floor). Accordingly, I would have to have one of the 'newer' but ridiculously smaller rooms, situated on the 3rd floor.

The prices had also mysteriously gone up in the process and did not reflect the prices quoted on their flashy web site. Incidentally, do not be fooled by the hostel’s flashy, colourful, musical web site. This hostel would never be allowed to misrepresent itself in the way that it has on it’s web site, in the UK.

I have attached a photo of the room, and as you can see, it isn’t much to look at. There’s a double bed, which was good, and a small but adequate shower, toilet and wash basin area (I couldn’t possibly justify calling it an en-suite). There were also 2 children’s stools and a small round table in the room, and a big blue home-made MDF wardrobe, which had no clothes rail and no hangers. The big brown wooden doors you see in the middle-top of the photo are this hostel’s equivalent to curtains, and lead to a window with no view i.e. looking inward to other rooms and private flats, with no air and not much daylight.

There was no TV, despite my specific request, and the worst possible aspect to this stay, far worse than any other minor annoyance or frustration with having to pay 50 euros per night, for an empty shell of a room in a hostel with absolutely no soul… I caught a fungal infection on my back from having slept here. Dozens of small dark coloured spots appeared on my back after the first night (I noticed in the mirror the following day). I thought it might be bed bugs or something, which isn’t that big a deal. I slept on my towel the following night, just to be safe, although the damage had been done. I had a medical a week ago in London, and was told that these spots were a fungal infection which could spread and get worse. Treatable with a cream, so nothing major, but still pretty disgusting, and made even worse, when you consider that I had to pay for the bloody privilege!

Avoid this hostel like the plague, because the plague’s sure as hell not going to avoid you!!

• Liked — The check out!
  • Disliked — Catching a fungal infection!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Sunny_EU

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Oz
Reviewed 1 September 2007

Pretty cool basic hotel with 7 rooms - all different colours but all compact, Ikea furniture, sparkling clean but tiny bathrooms. Super value and in a really fun neighbourhoood called Chueca just round the corner from Gran Via. Fast free internet too.

We walked to Puerta del Sol from this hotel. There are lots of cool clothes shops on Calle Fuencarral but it is a bit grungy and may not be suitable for families with young kids.

The 2 owner are friendly and non-intrusive. You can also buy breakfast from them but we went to the MacDonalds on Gran Via. Much more entertaining to eat a McMuffin while looking at streetwalkers parading their wares just outside the restaurant.

Loved Spain and really enjoyed Madrid. Some may say it is a tad grimey (eg lots of graffiti etc) but it has a good sense of humour and is heaps of fun with lots of restaurants and bars open until really late.

Don't go to Colors Hostal if you want a swanky room but at the kind of price, it is immaculately clean and top value.

• Liked — Modern rooms with clean bathrooms. Central location
  • Disliked — Grungy neighbourhood may not suit everyone.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends