“If you want food poisoning”
Review of La Castafiore

La Castafiore
Reserve with
La Castafiore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #198 of 11,196 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$45 - US$49
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chueca
Description: La Castafiore is the leading restaurant in Europe (since 1996) for opera, operetta and entertainment. Diners are offered a live operatic show during dinner enacted by the restaurant's singing waiters. The piano sets the mood for the evening and music is present throughout the meal. At midnight La Castafiore invites diners to toast the cast of La Traviata with a glass of Cava.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I booked the restaurant for Sat 22 March 2014. Overall the experience was quite good and the performance of the singers was excellent. The food was another matter. When the waiter brought our main course he told us that it was very hot but it was stone cold so we sent it back and waited while it was reheated. On return it was edible just. We walked backed to our apartment and on the way my wife said she didnt feel very well. The next morning was ill, vomiting etc. Later I started fo feel ill and for the rest of the day we were in the apartment being ill and vomiting . We lost a day and a half of our visit after paying for the most expensive meal of our trip.

4  Thank bigwillie1949
There are newer reviews for La Castafiore

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Incredible performances, even on Mondays!! The staff is amazing- one of the guys from the kitchen helped me charge my camera, the woman I first met at the bar treated me like a friend and was super sweet. Because I went on a Monday, it was very intimate, three tables. I speak a little Spanish but after finding out what I spoke, at the end of the show one of the performers, Carlos, even sang a song in English! I was so thrilled with their powerful voices, talented staff, and the tasty food that I can't wait to get back to Spain! Thank you from California! Bravo!

1  Thank mykalac
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Have visited La Castafiore several times over the years and always enjoyed the experience. While the food was indifferent and the service hit and miss one came for the performance which never ceased to impress. That is until our last visit! The waiting staff are assisted by a number of "resting" or out of work opera singers who sing various arias from popular operas. Nor for the serious opera buff for sure but great fun for those who enjoy opera occasionally. Over the years they had a great formula which seemed to work brilliantly. That's all changed now. The new lead singers seem to want to denigrate any pretensions that this is serious opera. They even mocked one of their number who sang "Happy Birthday" in Italian to one delighted table in the classic pose with both hands clasped behind his back. That sort of behaviour should be left behind in the dressing room. The show finished off with a cringe making clap around to some popular Spanish numbers that have never been performed in an Opera House anywhere. So more Variety Show than Opera. Fair enough I suppose if you are aiming to please an audience of pre teen school children. Though even they I don't think would enjoy it. What seems to have happened here is an inverted form of Opera snobbery <If you want Opera go to real opera at the Opera House don't expect to find it here sung by waiters> Sad.

4  Thank solomio123
Reviewed 19 February 2013

The food was great, the atmosphere was nice, but as other reviewers have noted it's the incredibly talented staff that makes this place special! I'm not usually a big fan of operatic singing, but to hear such beautiful and powerful voices in such an intimate & cozy setting was an experience I'll never forget!

Reviewed 18 July 2012

four friends and I went to the restaurant. Although I cannot understand Italian or Spanihs, but the music and the singing is really beautiful.
It will be an unforgetable night for my stay in Madrid.

1  Thank half_year