“Nice atmosphere, but it ends there”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of El jardin secreto

El jardin secreto
Ranked #20 of 161 Dessert in Madrid
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Malasana
san francisco, ca
“Nice atmosphere, but it ends there”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I took my daughter here for dinner while staying nearby. She really enjoyed the atmosphere, but I thought the food was not very good. My fish dish was covered with a heavy white sauce that I did not enjoy. My daughter ordered the salad with flowers. The flowers looked like small rose buds but were wilted and had no flavor. Otherwise the salad was decent, but the dressing was very sweet and too plentiful. Neither of us finished out desserts. She had an apple cake of some sort which had mushy, sweet apples and I had the chocolate mousse. I expected the traditional mousse in a cup but instead, got a slice of cake that looked like it was purchased elsewhere and did not taste like chocolate. The prices were reasonable, but on the high side and given the food quality, I would say too high compared to our other dining experiences in Madrid.

The place is busy with locals, so they must do something right, maybe just a place to go for drinks.

• Visited May 2014

• Korean first
Trieste, Italy
“a great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

it's just amazing. when you go in the restaurant is like enter in a fairy tale, all the furniture, decorations and ornaments are originals and eccentric. The athmosphere is magic. You can choose among teas, coffees, infusions, wines, and you can eat salads, carpaccios or fantastics desserts. if you are in Madrid you have to try it.

• Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it since 2007”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I was here in 2007 and came back in 2014. It is still lovely, well decorated and cozy. It is not as secret though as they were packed on a Wednesday night. We had the cafe italiano, and a tea, which were both good, thought the coffee was a bit too sweet for me. We also had the Oceania which I had in 2007, and it is still delicious! It's a white chocolate mousse with maracuya filling. My husband had the brownie with the violet ice cream. Go and keep this place in business so I can come back in 2021!

Madrid, Spain
“Wow... This food was best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Lets start with a positive note. The inside of this restaurant is great. You feel comfortable right away.
But....

The food was very bad.
For a starter we had a salade with avocado's. They were just tasteless.

My mean course was moussaka and it was an insult to call it that way. The sauce tasted like nothing and we had to find the vegetables.

But the worst had to come. The description of the desserts are just great and you really want to order something. But what a disaster. I ordered a pyramid with mascarpone and chocola. But what did i get? A dessert straight from a (cheap) supermarket. There wasnt any mascarpone taste to find (it was ice, and that wasnt what the menu said) en the chocolate tasted so bad. This wasnt something they had made themselves. This was bought somewhere.

My gf had the cheesecake. That one too, tasted like it came straight from the local supermarket. Very sweet and just too bad.

And didnt i mention the wine that tasted like it had been open for 2 days?

No, i dont go here again and i would advice to go somewhere else. There are so many better places to eat in Madrid.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Robert B
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
“Whished for a bigger stomac!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I love this place. The interiour is amacing. Little bit of that and little bit of this is exstreamly nice put togeather. Thw food is good, menu wonderful written, and the drinks are a sight. Too bad the food was so good I over ate before I got to them but the roumor is they are wonderful! Go be amased.