“Amazing food and splendid service and surroundings”

La Terraza del Casino de Madrid
Reserve with
La Terraza del Casino de Madrid is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #406 of 11,003 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$69 - US$300
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: View, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Description: For balmy Madrid evenings, the Casino offers an exceptional atmosphere surrounded by the most historical buildings on Calle Alcala.Since 1988, the rooftop restaurant, La Terraza del Casino, two Michelin Stars and three Repsol Suns, directed by Paco Roncero and advised by Ferran Adria, now rates among the most innovate players on Madrid gastronomic stage. Fine dining is one of the most surprising locations the Casino de Madrid has to offer.Discover Madrid skyline from amidst the historic buildings that surround the Casino: they provide the backdrop for your meal. Haute cuisine for clients in search of originality, creativity and the chance to enjoy a new culinary experience.Furthermore, in the refurbishment, Jaime Hayon has created a design conceived specifically to envelop dinners in the same groundbreaking, avant-garde feel that Paco Roncero achieves with the textures, colours and flavours of his dishes.
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Amazing food and splendid service and surroundings”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

One of the best lunch experiences I have ever had. The tasting meny was absolutely great, and the variety of the dishes was great. We went there for lunch and had the tasting menu, and I was very impressed with every dish.

We stayed for three hours, and had both food, wine and coffee for about €100 per person. Definitely not cheap, but you won't often find an eating experience of this high standard for this price.
Remember the dress code (blazer required).

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kasper-Copenhagen

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Innovative and special”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I will only talk about the food, which we will always remember, for its inventivity full of surprises. Bravo to the chef who really thought through his menu, to have us enjoy very special dishes, prepared in an innovative way. Service was also perfect, never too present, but always quick whenever we asked for something.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Julia S
Marbella, Spain
“2013 and a restricted jacket policy”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

To day I had plans for a nice lunch in terrazzo del Casino a two star restaurant in the guide Michelin, but this restaurant that are in all restaurants guides its not a restaurant according to the restaurant manager it's a privet club and there for I could not have lunch in this restaurant - I mean privat club not wearing a jacket, it's 45 plus Celsius in Madrid an pretty hot in this privat club so the manager ment it whas better for my to feel uncomfortable instead of enjoying my lunch - the end of the story - I had to leave - I'm glad that things at going so well for his restaurant - sorry - private club that they can afford sending there customers away if not feeling comfortable in what they so proudly call a private club

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Belgum
Bilbao, España
“Very recommended, incredible food in an incredible atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Very special place in Calle Alcala. I was in the Casino for an event and it was delightful. Food was an unforgeteable experience.

1 Thank Monika S
Sitges, Spain
“The best restaurant in Madrid...”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with my wife for our anniversary. We often go to Michelin star restaurants so I will use those as my point of reference. I have to say, knowing that the chef behind El Bulli was a consultant here made us walk in with high expectations...and except for some glitches with the wine this was a perfect meal. One quick logistical point - as in many 2 or 3 star restaurants you are expected to wear a jacket. if you dont bring one they will provide you with one (but always better to bring your own). So lets get into it:

The place
The restaurant is located on the roof of the casino (although I didn't see any casino). The building is a majestic building that must have a couple centuries in what I would call a French style. After a brief elevator ride you arrive at the last floor in a beautiful decor (they have an indoor option but we ate outside in the terrace). There was some live music (although I have to say a long tail piano would have been more appropriate than an electric organ but it was all good...)

The food
One comes to this sort of restaurant for the food and I have to say that for the food itself I would not have been surprised if this place had three stars. The 135 euro menu with some 20 courses was amazing. The dishes were innovative, inventive and surprising. It was a journey of culinary discovery...truly amazing. Don't come here if you are looking for large dishes with a home made feel...this is a place where food is an art...and at 135 euros for a 20 course menu it was a bargain. (You can also order "a la carte" but it may cost you just as much for less dishes). I've been to places that charge 2-3 times that and are not as interesting. I particularly enjoyed the "pasta bolognesa" (which actually is made of calamari) or the sole meunière which was amazing. The other 18 courses were also great and in the end you don't feel too full despite the number of dishes...

The wine
This was, in my humble opinion, what made this a 2 and not a 3 star restaurant. Given that my pregnant wife could not drink I asked the sommelier to match the dinner with wines by the glass...she quickly agreed but instead of making me experiment different wines as the courses came, she just left me a bottle of a very uninteresting Sauvignon blanc from Rueda (until I asked them to change - this was followed by an average Rioja). Yes, at 14 euros for the many glasses I had this was an amazing bargain...but I would expect a little more effort from this sort of restaurant. I overheard her explain to another table that the current menu was adapted to "white wines"...but a real effort would have been to make me discover 3-4 white wines...this was a disappointment. The wine menu seemed to be reasonable (a large book that I didn't go through) but this sort of restaurant should have the option to offer wines to match the multiple dishes offered (which is hard to do yourself unless you are in a group of 4+)

The service
This is what I would describe as the perfect service (aside from the wine episode). The service was attentive, non-intrusive and always present. I have food allergies and my wife has a ton of limitations as she is pregnant and they made multiple changes in the many courses without even the slightest pushback. Aside from that the service was quick but not pushy. Just as a notice, this is great European service...so don't expect the waiter to tell you his name or his favorite vacation spot...that would not be considered good service in this part of the world...don't take that as a signal of lack of interest or being pretentious...it's just the way things are (I am saying this because I read some of the comments that spoke of this)

Overall
I've been to most of the 2 star restaurants in Madrid and several one stars and feel comfortable saying that this is the best restaurant in town (I might change my mind but so far...). This is also one of the best restaurants I've been to in a while...probably just a notch below the Fat Duck (which we recently visited) or the Mugaritz (based on the experience as I would say the food itself is at least as good). Highly recommended!!! Don't miss this restaurant if you are really into innovative cuisine or are just open to taste things that are above the ordinary...

Visited June 2013