“Good quality-price, but don't expect anything else”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Condestable

Hostal Condestable
Ranked #189 of 283 Madrid B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Good quality-price, but don't expect anything else”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

good quality-price, to be downtown, so close to all the major madrid attractions, the metro station (callao) and the shopping area of gran via, malasana and chueca. lot of rooms, quite tiny but decent, clean. watch out, the walls are thin so you can easily listen to all the tv shows your neighbors are watching.. plan to have your earplugs with you.. they are quite necessary wherever you sleep in downtown madrid. in the end the prices are good, they dont offer you so much indeed but could worth the stay, it's way better than any other hostal in the same category

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank IndianaT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Even if this hostel is on 5th floor, it's been one of the most possitive experiences for accomodation when thinking about a place where to stay in Madrid. Located just a few blocks away from Gran Via and Chueca points of interest, this place has perfectly clean single rooms with nice beds, AC, a huge space to keep your clothes and luggage. Owner is an amazing woman an employees will clarify any inquiere you may have, being totally customer focused oriented.
I was coming from Ibiza after a crazy party week (July, 2011) and this was the perfect place where to stay and rest.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Good location near metro, but it was quite difficult to find and the hostel's sign was sooo small I walked pass it many times. We had to check the address to make sure and finally found it. The room was clean but rather small and we couldn't open the window because the construction outside the window made it full of dust so the room was not so well ventilated. There are 2 shared bathrooms which is also clean. And they were always available we didn't have a problem of waiting to use it. On the saturday night it was so noisy because there was a pub near the hostel.

One thing is, we were told to leave the room key in the box near the door when we go outside which we dont understand why? This box was not in the front desk and I noticed that sometimes there were no staff at the front desk. How can we be so sure that nobody pick it up to enter our room. I asked the staff for the reason but he spoke only spanish. We left the key then, because we don't have any valuables left in the room anyway.

So i recommend this hostel for a budget traveler who spend most of the time outside the hostel and be sure to carry your valuables with you when leaving. And for those who have no problem of sleeping.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

We booked this place based on positive reviews on tripadvisor. I don't know who wrote them, but my experience was quite different. We booked room number 19 for a two night stay. The elevator was large enough to accomodate one person only. There was ongoing construction right outside our window. When I say outside, I mean that you could shake hands with the person working on the scaffolding outside the windows. The "very helpful" attendant assured us that there will be "not much noise". The banging went on forever. The full tub measured 2 by 3 feet (no, not meters). The room looked liked it had not been painted in decades. I don't know where they got the pictures they posted on the net, but they are clearly not from this hotel. Last time we stayed at Hostal Astoria in Madrid and found it clean, bright and charming. So why did we not stay there this time? Trying to save 30 euros, stupid I know.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank World_Traveler2011S

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Montevideo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

It was just a nice hostal, small but great...excellent location, just a few blocks from the Gran Via, and 4 blocks from Plaza del Sol. Lot of fun around, the agency to take day trips was about 7 blocks...metro station just 3 blocks away.
Clean & the stuff was nice...for such small hostal I have to say that the price is very worth it and affordable. Nothing to complain about it.
Clean, room for one person very comfortable, TV plasma...a kind of noisy during night time because of the bars around but it was OK, after long days you don't see a problem.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
long beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

Everyone has written about the hookers in the area so I will only comment that hookers are in many tourist areas in Madrid. My husband and I were never bothered. The hotel is only a five minute walk from Gran Via and another five minutes to Plaza del Sol--excellent location. The room was extremely clean, although it was small and the bathroom was very small--nothing unusual for Europe. We stayed there three different times over the course of a month in Spain. Twice we had a room with a private bathroom that faced the courtyard, which was pretty quite at night. The last time we stayed their we had a room with a shared bathroom and our room faced the street, which was a little to noisy. We would stay there again.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

I arrived at the Hostal Condestable after a long journey across Madrid from the airport by Metro. I would advise using this as on my return I took a taxi from Gran Via Metro costing me 24 Euros- very pricey. I must admit that I found it very difficult to find the Hostal which is in fact very easy to find as it is only a stones throw away from the Gran Via.

The Hostal is quiet and run by pleasant, helpful folk- do not expect anybody to speak English! However, with some rudimentary Spanish and a phrasebook you'll get by. My room was clean, simply furnished and adequately decorated. the two small bathrooms were opposite so it didn't matter that I couldn't get one of the en- suite rooms.

There are many prostitutes in operation within the immediate vicinity of the hotel, however, they didn't bother me and I was a single guy travelling on my own. You would have thought that if anybody was going to be hassled by them, I was. The area has many small bars and cafes which are frequented mainly by local people and families.

I was impressed with the hotel as high standard budget accommodation as it was clean and comfortable and trust me I have stayed in some dives, so I know. I would stay there again without hesitation, the street it is on is virtually free from traffic which is important in Madrid. I would also recommmend this hotel to friends.

• Liked — Price, cleanliness, access to Madrid centre
  • Disliked — It is in the Red Light Quarter but so is much of the centre of Madrid it seems!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo