“Delicious traditional Spanish fare”
Review of Esteban

Esteban
Reserve with
Esteban is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #766 of 11,562 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: La Latina
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We entered this restaurant in "old" Madrid because we were in the area, and the exhibit in the window (partridges) looked good. The waiters greeted us affably and SINCERELY -- with joking formality ( we are Spanish speakers...). The exhibit at the bar was a wonderful-looking lechona asada -- roast baby pig -- which I ordered, and it was even better than it looked: THE BEST lechona I've ever had! My husband had ox-tail, which he claimed was as good as at home; dodn't remember what the rest of the group ordered. All in all, we had a wonderful time, eating, drinking a good Rivera del Duero, and chatting with the waiters -- so give this traditional looking restaurant a try!

1  Thank Dorisit

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have dined in this restaurant before and would have agreed with the positive reviews here...before tonight. Where to start? The appetizer, grilled vegetables, was overdone and barely passable. The waiter snatched my bread away (that I had barely touched) after the appetizer without asking and before I could say "Don't". I swallowed all this in anticipation of the highlight of the dinner - cochinillo asado (roasted suckling pig) which is supposedly one of their specialties. Well... this was the big disappointment of the night: it was a small, thin piece of a rib cage that was way overcooked. The skin that should be crispy was totally burned, a third of it was black and I had to cut it out and leave it on the plate. I have eaten cochinillo quite a few times in Spain and this was without any qualification the worst. The good ambience could not make up for the taste of soot in my mouth.
I am willing to assume it was all due to the fact it was Saturday night and they were busy, but am not willing to test this assumption by going there again. So will stay away.

1  Thank geostoder
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We ate an early lunch at Esteban Restaurant - and were much relieved to discover that they were happy to serve before the typical Spanish 2:00 lunch hour. We were welcomed although we were at first the only diners. Our steaks w/ frites, and the roast chicken prepared in an egg and almond sauce with rice were outstanding. Breads were artfully set out at the table, and were bakery fresh. We were given complimentary portions of a beef soup, and olives with gerkins. The Sangria was excellent and freshly prepared at the bar. Service was so hospitable and friendly. We also were treated to a Jerez brandy after dinner. Staff tried to talk whatever English they could, as we tried to communicate in our mix of French, Italian and possibly Spanish! Menus were in "Inglese por favore", by request.The pictures of celebrity athlete diners shown to our young adult son was a special treat.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stopped at Esteban after a tiring day of sightseeing based on the fact that when we looked inside the people we saw eating there looked happy and we received a friendly greeting. We were seatet in a small, comfortable back room. The staff was helpful in describing menu items and our selection of tapas--Spanish potato salad, shrimp croquettes, ham croquettes, preceeded by olives and pickles and rolls--was very good. It was definitely worth the stop.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Madrid – Dinner at Restaurante Esteban on Cava Baja – Chosen by whim and perhaps a dash of instinct on the crowded, crazy boulevard of tapas, this was a warm, friendly, delicious evening. We stayed in the bar area up front, but watched many folks head for the dining room. Traditional tapas galore: pimientos rojos, those amazing light green olives, jamon, albondigas, chorizo, morcilla (blood sausage), and substantial servings of slices of suckling pig and a leg of roast baby lamb my wife saw, smiled, and pointed at while exploring the room. The house Rioja flowed and it was a wonderful meal. Before we could leave, one of the very friendly waiters insisted we wait so he could go to the freezer, pull out a mysterious bottle, and pour us short glasses of a terrific digestif, perhaps a Pacharán? We would return.