“Experience at the Bar”

Ranked #2,945 of 11,191 Restaurants in Madrid
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: La Latina
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Six of us (five adults and one baby) visited here for tapas last month. We had red wine and the fried potatoes with fried eggs which were very good. The restaurant behind the bar seemed to be nearly full, with Spaniards rather than tourists and that is usually a good sign. Apparently the owner is the same as that of Casa Lucio which is a more expensive venue. I can't comment on the price as one of my companions paid for the tapas.

There are newer reviews for Viejo Madrid

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I visited this restaurant with work colleagues and was very impressed. Great selection of wines, food was excellent, particularly the sirloin steak with fries served with a very hot stone plate to finish cooking the steak to your own liking. Amazing! Colleagues talked about the great reputation the restaurant has, although it was quiet on the evening we visited. Well worth a visit for the tapas too!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I too was steered here by Lucio (third time I tried without reservations (think I would learn)). I was very skeptical as it was empty (but I was early 2000). As the evening progressed, it filled up with locals and tourists (seasoned tourist).

I had the fillet, chicken soup, iberian ham, rice puddling and a Muga wine. The Iberian ham was great (but isn't it always?? - price as always high 21 Euro), Caldo ... it was very hot, lots of chicken fat to give it flavor, but a couple of spoons and I was finished. The solomillo, which they called fillet, not sirloin (kinda in between)) was served exactly like I asked - Med Rare. Plate was hot so continued to cook and good even out some really rare spots. Steak was great. Chips were a little greasy, but really good. I would have ordered a green vegetable if I had thought about it. There were two selections of Muga wines (which was nice) I am particularly fond of the Muga (70% tempranillo and 20% grenache) as I have been to the Bodega and find the wine very interesting. The postra was arroz con leche with caramelized sugar on top.... very good... Then my waiter gave me a digestive ..Herbero, on the house which was perfect end to a very good meal.

Waiter, ended up speaking English, (not sure the rest did) and provided very good service.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I went there advised by casa lucio , which is in front. The food was ok, but my dosis of cochinillo was 3 times that of my wife , i shared and no problem. The shelfish was swiming in a kind of sauce that took maybe 5 minutes to make, tasteless. Than i tried to eat coajada and it took 20 minutes . And another 20 for the bill. If you have a choice , avoid it .

1  Thank paulus70
Reviewed 16 December 2011

As many others do, we went to Viejo Madrid because we couldn't get into Casa Lucio. First impressions weren't particularly good - un-imposing entrance to an empty bar, although admittedly we were early, arriving at 9pm. However the place soon started to fill up, and we were looked after by a friendly waiter who made sensible recommendations, and then said all the right things when we selected our food - "great choice sir" etc.. The food was impeccably prepared and presented - I have never enjoyed scrambled eggs as much as their Revuelto de la casa, and their fillet steak was perfection. By the time we left at midnight we were pleased that Casa Lucio had been fully booked.