“Beautiful place, quality varies, but worthwhile”
Review of Teatriz - CLOSED

Teatriz
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Madrid
“Beautiful place, quality varies, but worthwhile”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have gone to Teatriz many times over the years. It is a beautiful place. The food has always been good to exceptional and the service the same. Over the years, they have varied the menu, with mixed results. I would recommend this place if you want a nice atmosphere, good service (menus in English), very good food, and you don't mind paying a little more. (It is actually what you would expect to pay for a restaurant with class). The atmoshere is very beautiful (being an old theatre). The trip to the men's bathroom on the lower floor is obligatory. I liked many plates on the menu, but the duck was my favorite.

• Visited January 2013

Povoa de Varzim, Portugal
“Excelent decoration, horrible food and service”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The first impression, when you get into the dining room, is quite positive because the place is very well decorated and the ambiance of a theatre very well kept. Then you ask for the menu and I tried a cocktail - champagne something - for aperitif and it tasted awful, extremely sweet and very, very industrial flavor. We ordered the food and a bottle of wine (very expensive when compared with other restaurants of the same level). My husband's wine choice was excellent but we cannot say the same about the food. Normally, we ask for different entries and main courses to taste more varieties but this time it was really a tragedy. Both entries were awful and the same with main courses. Well, I thought, there's the dessert left and I chose lemon sorbet with cava - another disaster. It came a liquid mixture tasting slightly to lemon and slightly to cava but terribly sweet. The only thing good was the biscuit (I think almond) that was very crusty and tasted very good. At the end, we got out, showed our numbers for the coats to the concierge, received them and left very disappointed with the food. Next day, we were at the hotel preparing for breakfast when the phone rang. Strangely, it was from the restaurant asking me (Mrs. Gonçalves) if by chance I had not brought the wrong coat because a lady complained that her coat was missing. My first reaction was saying immediately that no, of course not. They hang up and then it came something very unpleasant to my mind. Who would bring another coat than his/her own if it wasn't on purpose? The most logical is if you receive a coat that's not yours you say immediately that it is the wrong coat. I understand that coats can be misplaced what I don't understand is receiving a phone call from a restaurant asking you if you took the wrong coat. Either they were trying to say that you are a thieve or that you were so drunk that you did not notice that you brought the wrong coat. What a terrible image we keep from that restaurant. we ate horribly and the next day you are treated either as a thieve or a drunk! Unfortunately, we had no time to return to the restaurant to write this complaint in their complaint book but I leave here my dissatisfaction with the treatment they gave us.

• Visited March 2013
Sitges, Spain
“Too expensive for what it is...”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We were walking in Salamanca and looked up a restaurant to have lunch in. This place had OK reviews but was by far the best restaurant walking distance from where we were. For 2 people with no wine and no appetizers we paid about 70 euros. Having lived in Spain I have gone to many restaurants in that price range. I'll use those experiences as benchmark.

The place
Overall the decor is interesting. They converted an old theatre in a 3-in-1 resaurant concept. So you have tapas in the entrance, Mediterranean food in the central area (where the seats used to be) and Asian fusion in the set where the plays used to take place. To be honest when I read someone else's description I thought it would be much nicer. It's nice but not amazing.

The food
We ate in te Mediterranean section so I can only speak to that menu. Overall I feel there is an attempt to do refined food...hence the price range. I don't think I am being too harsh when I say that the food felt amateurish and clearly was not worth the price. It was ok...but 70 euros go a long way in Madrid. If I had paid 40 euros I would have said it was a decent effort. So what did we have: I had the fish of the day with a salad and my wife asked for the burger. My fish was dry and the salad felt like it had just been taken out of one of those ready-made bags from the supermarket. My wife had a "reinvented burger" which basically meant that they had served 5 fries (again looked like pulled out of the frozen ones you can make at home) and a small chunk of minced meat. No special preparation...just minced meat. So she neither got the sloppy burger that you love but hate yourself for eating nor the refined explosion of unexpected flavones from an upscale burger. The dessert was ok (a hot chocolate moelleux with ice cream - but according to my belgian chocolate loving wife - the chocolate was clearly not at par)...so this would have been an ok lunch at 40 euros...but felt like a ripoff at 70...

The service
Honestly the service was very pleasant. Slow but always with a smile. There were what looked like an army of well dressed servers making you feel like the price tag was for a reason.

Conclusion
If you are walking through Salamanca and don't mind paying 70 euros for mediocre food, this place has an interesting decor and a pleasant service. Maybe one of the other options has better food...I think we will continue trying other places...

1 Thank cvidela4791
Madrid, Spain
“Great atmosphere and good food”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The space used to be a theater, converted to restaurant by no other that famous enfant terrible Philippe Stark, and redecorated by one of his disciples in 2011. Very dramatic space and decor with excellent food. Expensive, but not excessively so. Located in the heart of the Salamanca quarter, the most traditionally aristocratic Madrid zone, and surrounded by the best and most famous international shopping names. It has four separate areas with different meal and drink choices. Recommended for a sedate meal in a sophisticated environment without getting too broke.

Visited July 2012
Boston, MA
“Wow!”
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Went here with our daughter who is on a semester abroad. We travel a lot. Highly recommended. Great service great food.