See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 September 2017

The hostel is very basic, not many toilets and showers, but they are clean. The rooms are small, no climate machine. But they have lockers for free. The location of the hostel is very good, but it is very noisy very long because of all the near restaurants.
They don´t offer any tours or social meetings.
The siesta-break at afternoon is annoying because you can´t checkin for three hours.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

The staff is really friendly, nice rooms and it's located very closely to all the interesting sites in Murcia!

Even though they say they don't have a kitchen they've got a fridge and a microwave.

We'll come back here if we ever come to Murcia again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Rubén Juan S, Propietario at The Cathedral Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thanks for your comment. We'll be waiting for you on your next visit. Best regards.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

As other reviewers have noted, I also only stayed here as there is no other hostel in Murcia. I was charged before I even arrived which was strange and then as soon as I arrived the staff seemed disinterested and didnt even show me where the toilets were etc. You have to walk through the kitchen every time you enter the hostel which is quite uncomfortable and then the bedrooms are also located right next to the kitchen so it is quite loud until late in the night which makes it really hard to settle down. There is only really one toilet where you can feel comfortable as the other two where extremely small and didnt lock properly. The lockers in the room are tiny and there was no way I could fit my bag inside so I had to leave my bag on my bed at all times. The only good thing is the location which is perfect but that is literally the only positive.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Rubén Juan S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at The Cathedral Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear Customer.
We recently changed the management of our hostel. We are renovating to improve the comfort of our guests. We hope your next visit meets your expectations.
Best regards.

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Rude staff not even there during strict (and) short opening hours,
Had to make own bed and strip it and leave in laundry basket. left with weird bites, breakfast? What breakfast? Bathroom tiny. Atmosphere non existent (only met 2 people who were desperately loin for an apartment to rent!!
Passive aggressive signs everywhere . "€2 fine for this " "don't do that"
If location wasn't good I'd give 1 star. Clearly they have no competition or they'd be closed

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

Totally shocked at the owner. When I read the reviews I'd thought that you can't please everyone but this is completely out of order.

Alex, who had been lovely apart from not being able to find my booking so having to hunt for a new bed, had said that I could store my bag in the room for free on checkout day or pay 4 euros for a lock up.

As there was not often someone on reception and it seemed quite safe I opted to leave my suitcase in the room.

As I re-organised my bag to catch my bus a curly haired blonde lady came in and asked when I checked out. I said this morning but no-one had been on reception (despite it saying there was someone from 10am), so I'd just left the key as other people had.

She said she was the owner and she wanted 2 euros for keeping my bag in the room. I said this would have been fine if I'd been told about it before but not when I'd been told it was free. She then stood in front of the door and barricaded it saying she would call the police for the 2 euros. She stood there and started shouting down the phone in Spanish.

Not exactly great service. Eventually as I had to catch the bus and only had 5 on me I handed my 5 to the larger African lady. I asked for my change and 5 minutes later she was stood there with my 5 note still in her hand.

I needed to catch my bus so I asked again to leave. Eventually the owner moved out of the way, shouting in Spanish at me and keeping my 5.

Don't go near this hostel unless you want this kind of service and unforeseen charges.

Alex had originally said someone had lost my booking, so that part wasn't great. It's a shame as if it had a decent owner it's in a great location and the other residents were all v friendly.

Also, if you do decide to go they really need to put on their info that there is no cooker, only a microwave. Enter if you want to see a Spanish temper!!!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo