“Great place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 21 Pamplona B&B and Inns
Toulouse, France
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed at this pesnsion and found it excellent with very helpful staff. Rooms are very nice with lots of original character and the bed was really comfy.
We arrived late but were in touch with the staff before arrival and they were there waiting for us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cashel, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

lovely atmosphere, clean and staff very helpful. is hard to find from the street as the sign is very discreet so make sure you get good directions before you head off. there is no food available

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

This was a very sweet hotel, beautiful wood floors, lots of history. The service was excellent, Jose at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly. We had bikes delivered here to start the Camino de Santiago, he helped us store them and provided a place where we could work on them. He also helped us send our luggage to Santiago where we would end our trip. The rooms were very nice and comfortable with good beds. However, do not stay on the alley side/balcony side. The street is very busy with cafes and bars and is very noisy. And keep in mind there is no breakfast, most places do not open until 8am.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with balconies over alley in the back, very active and noisy. Also, no AC.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcbColorado
Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel – I’m happy it was only for one night…

To enter the hotel you have to ring a doorbell and climb a rather dodgy staircase. The owner however was extremely helpful – but very confused. It seemed like he was trying to fix 100 things at the same time without really managing any of them…

We had asked specifically for a quiet room, as we had read reviews saying that there could be a lot of noise from the busy street. The guy showed us two different rooms, the nicer one facing the street. But he assured us that with their new windows we wouldn’t hear anything from the street… That was true, but unfortunately we could hear every single word being said next door through the paper thin walls.

The room was basic but nice and clean and the owner exceptionally helpful and friendly – but if you want peace and privacy, chose another hotel.

Columbus, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I studied abroad in Pamplona for six months in college, but was not there for the legendary fiesta of San Fermin (aka running with the bulls). I decided to return as a 30th birthday trip. We stayed from 7/12 to 7/15, the last three days of the festival. When I booked with Jose Angel I wasn't able to find any reviews online, so I ws a little worried that it might have been some sort of scam (seemed like a good price for San Fermin). Well, I'm happy to report that it is definitely a legitimate Pension, and a very charming one at that!

Jose Angel always responded to my correspondence promptly. I reserved our room by faxing my credit card information to him and had no problems. He even was so thoughtful to recommend that I not email it because fax is safer. I believe there are also some hostel websites that you can book through. His English is also very good, and he is a wonderful host.

The Pension is within 2-3 blocks of the bus station. We were arriving via train, so we took a taxi which I believe was under 10 euros, but possibly around 15. The driver dropped us off directly in front of the door. I can't remember if there is a sign or not, but there is a buzzer (it's gray and separate from the main buzzer for the other floors) and Jose Angel will buzz you up. He even helped carry my bag downstairs when we left. Upon arrival he explained how all the keys worked, gave us our choice of rooms and gave us a map and explained where all of the highlights were.

Rooms were basic, clean, with flat screen TVs. We had a private bathroom which was tiny but functional. The Pension is on the edge of Casco Viejo which is a perfect location for San Fermin or anytime of year. Casco Viejo is the old part of town that has most of the attractions and great bars and restaurants. Our room overlooked the street of San Nicolas which was very noisy during the fiestas. Jose Angel gave us ear plugs which helped, but you could still feel the base of the music. But that's to be expected during San Fermin! Not all of the rooms overlook the street, so I would think if you stay there at a time other than San Fermin, you'd always be able to stay in a quiet, interior room. Since we were so close to all the action we were able to pop in and out to grab jackets, take a nap, put away the nice camera, etc.

This was a trip that I've dreamed of being able to take for years, and it totally met my expectations! It's such a happy time for Pamplona, and I was so thrilled to be a part of it. If you're thinking of going, stop thinking about it and GO!

I would definitely recommend Pension Sarasate. However if you do not stay up late, I would recommend you request an interior room.

Room Tip: Request an interior room
1 Thank lok99
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for the San Fermin festival. The hotel is in a great location, the owner is incredibly helpful and the room was very clean. We were offered a choice of rooms and opted for one of the quieter ones at the back knowing that the festival would be very noisy. Entry is via a large door next to a pavement cafe and bar (plays music all night during the festival) but once you make your way up the stairwell it gets much quieter. If you're looking for traditional Spanish charm in the old town would highly recommend Pension Sarasate.

France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I booked this little pension after looking at reviews on the booking site and we were not disappointed. It's not too difficult to find if you have satnav, but you'd never know it was there unless you search for the property number 30. Find the little pavement cafe and the entrance door is next to that. It's on the second floor of a narrow building and entry is via an entryphone system. When you've open the door, you're in a shabby looking stairway but do not despair - go up the old wooden stairs, press the doorbell of "Pension" and you're in a beautifully kept little entrance lobby. Our host José was there to meet us. He's lovely and speaks very good english ( useful as I'm afraid our spanish is very limited ). Our rooms were lovely - very tradional, tidy and beautifully decorated. I had asked for quiet rooms as we were staying with my elderly mother and my aunt, and José offered us a choice of rooms. Two of the rooms were at the side of the hotel and were quiet but we chose the larger fron room, with twin beds and a little seating area. He did warn us that it was friday night and the room overlooked the street with bars and would therefore be noisy but we took the room. It was noisy but I had earplugs so I didn't hear a thing ( my husband's earplugs kept falling out so he didn't sleep terribly well ! ) Despite that, the room was lovely, José extremely helpful and the pension ideally placed for a walk into Pamplona centre ( about 10/15 mins ). We went exploring after dumping our bags and found Pamplona to be a vibrant buzzy little place with lots of bars and a great atmosphere. We ate at the Cafe Iruna, one of Hemingway's haunts and had a brilliant meal. Go and see the wonderful bronze of the bull runners in the square - fantastic ! We breakfasted well at the café downstairs ( full eggs and ham etc or pastry and coffee/juice ). All in all, a great little place to stop for a jaunt around Pamplona and very reasonably priced too. Car Parking is about 10 mins away ( walking ) in a secure underground garage

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family