“Good hotel for San Fermín”

AC Hotel Ciudad de Pamplona
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Pamplona
Madrid, Spain
“Good hotel for San Fermín”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We visited Pamplona during the festival of San Fermín so that my older son and I could run with the bulls. The hotel itself was clean, quiet, and well managed. While we were staying at the hotel there were a number of people staying with a tour company, and hence we could hear quite a bit of English spoken on site. In short, the hotel was simple and nice.

The only negative was that the hotel was a bit of a walk from the old city. The center of Pamplona was one big party, but the hotel was perhaps 30 minutes away from the main scene. If you want to be near the action but still in a quiet place then the hotel was perfect. If you are like me and want to be in the heart of the activity, then perhaps this hotel is a bit too far away from the center.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Genegr2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here for Fiesta. The modern spacious room was comfortable. It is located in a quiet area about 30 minutes from the center of the city on foot. There is a bus stop near the hotel, so access to the festivities was easy. There were many places to eat and drink in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

A decent, clean and quiet hotel. The interior is modern, the staff were helpful and it's a good bet for somewhere to stay during the San Fermín festival.
I'd say it's 15 minutes walk from the old town square. There's a couple of decent bars just close by - don't be put off by the Irish bar opposite, good for a nightcap.
The room was up to spec, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was contemporary & clean.
Our friends has the breakfast, which by all accounts was good for the price.
Would I stay here again? A definite yes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MozMorris
Pamplona
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I recently returned to the AC Hotel to do some pre-trip work for Spyns running of the bulls tours and, as always, I wasn't disappointed. The hotel recently joined the Marriott group with no noticeable change in service quality although there do seem to be a lot of managers (3 at my last count). I have been bringing Spyns groups to the hotel as part of our Pamplona tours since 2006. I had an excellent 2-day stay and was pleased to see the very capable manager, Gabriel, was still there. Not only did he remember my name, the hotel upgraded me to a suite, and when I commented how much I loved their chocolate muffins (served at breakfast) he quietly placed a call to ensure I had an ample supply the next morning. Now that's what I call service. The AC has added a number of suites to its first floor. My suite was impeccably clean, modern, and well-appointed. The shower was spotless, lots of hot water, and the towels were abundant and fluffy. The free minibar is always a plus, particularly for the running of the bulls. The WIFI is touch-and-go and I had some problems with it during my stay. As this was a working trip, I wish the connection had been stronger. Also the hotel still uses a rather complicated card/code system for its paid WIFI which I've never liked...and it's expensive. That should change. Breakfast was excellent but it is a cold buffet so no hot eggs/bacon. Also I found it hard to find bowls and glasses but the staff quickly added these items when asked. For those planning a running of the bulls tour, you should note the hotel is in a leafy suburb of Pamplona - roughly a 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. But I find this a plus as you'll get a good night's sleep during the San Fermin festival which you can't get when staying in a noisy downtown hotel. I personally slept like a log. This hotel is still my best pick for Spyns running of the bulls tours.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Spyns
Martorell, Spain
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel using my marriott reward points and I have been plesantly supprised by the hotel. The hotel is a 25 min walk from the centre of town however it is a nice walk through the citadella park. Also there are lots of bars and restaurants near the hotel even a nice bar that brews its own beer on site that I would recommend. The staff have been very helpfull there is a car park over the road that costs 16 euros per day I think this is a bit expensisive but I suppose it is a city centre location. On the whole Pamplona is a nice city for a few days away it can be good value because it is a student town and if you go where the students go its perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask reception from the type of room you want they are very helpful my room was on level 6 and had a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FieldFace
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I had a team of six people with me for a week at this hotel. We choose it as it was modern and billed as a business hotel outside Pamplona and a very good price. Our stay coincided with a conference in Zizur that we were not associated with. When a large group attending the conference appeared for dinner or breakfast they overwhelmed the staff at the restaurant. The restaurant did accomodate us by not charging us for dinner appetizers the first night which had taken a very long time to arrive (We ate in Pamplona the rest of the week). In addition, we could not get the wifi to work during the week. Neither the free wifi in the lounge area or paid access in our room worked and calls to the helpdesk did not resolve the issue. The rooms were modern and clean. Our room cost included the water and soda in the minbar. Access to the highway and Pamplona was very easy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Roissen
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I visit this hotel quite often and it is one of those places you'll recommend to your best friend. It's like being at home. On top of being an AC where you know that your room will not be big but the bed, bathroom and service will be very good, this one is special because the people at reception and restoration. Great!

Room Tip: Top floors are better
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business