“Simple &”
Review of Hotel Avenida

Hotel Avenida
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Pamplona
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Possibly the best feature of this hotel is its location - just a few minutes from the (underground and out of sight & sound) bus station! Even so, it's only a short walk to the shopping areas and the old city. The breakfast buffet was excellent, the rooms simple & clean. The only thing lacking when I was there was a cafeteria/restaurant but there are plenty nearby. The staff were friendly & gave helpful suggestions for places to eat, not just the pricier restaurant (I only wish I'd spotted the nearby Indian cafe earlier than I did so I could have tried it out!) All in all, it's a good, solid hotel which I can't fault.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mariamogo

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great relaxing stay in comfortable surroundings with a lovely little balcony that wraps round end of building giving two views of the streets below and helps keep up with the moving sun. I reckon there are probably better locations in Pamplona but this is only 5 to 8 minutes walk away from all the attractions. I don't remember there being a bar or restaurant (we actually prefer city amenities anyway) or even any immediate bars on the street but as I say, 5 minutes from everything. The room was spacious, modern and comfortable and reasonably priced.. Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I read other reviews about this hotel before I booked and I think a few people are a bit precious. Yes, it is budget but for me it suited my purpose just fine. I booked for three nights during San Fermin so I did not expect much.
Overall Spanish hotels are not of the same standard as Australian hotels so I knew it would probably be small and maybe not quite what I am used to. And I was right. I booked a single room which is a single bed, bathroom, tv and balcony. It was clean and is by far better than staying in a tent or a backpackers hostel with a bunch of drunk Aussie bogans or "the lads" from the UK! San Fermin is fantastic but full of ferals so if you want a clean bed and a hot shower, this hotel will suit you just fine!
It is about ten minutes from the action so close enough to walk but far enough away to get a little sleep if you need it.
My only complaint is the carpet, it could do with updating as I think it could now be a living, breathing organism of its own! Its pretty gross and my room did smell like feet but for three days at one of the best parties on earth, who cares?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We had just driven over 370 miles almost non-stop and arrived at the hotel reception tired, thirsty and irritable. The hotel receptionist greeted us as if we were her favourite aunt and uncle. That level of welcoming and friendly service continued throughout our stay and was from all the staff we met. The hotel room overlooked a busy junction so was a little bit noisy but we had a small balcony that let us look out on the world passing. The hotel is located very close to the city's central social areas so allowed us to enjoy the vibrant night life of Pamplona' s Saturdays. Breakfast was a typical Spanish style buffet and, at €10 each, set us up for another day's driving without the need to stop for lunch. It was excellent value. If I had to be picky, there were only three minor downers for the hotel. Our room was a wee bit shabby and could have done with a bit of decorative tidying but I could certainly endure this for one night without real pain. The overbath shower was a bit weak and low so I had to run about a bit to get properly wet but then I am a bit of a fatty so maybe someone a bit slimmer might not have the same problem. Finally, and this could be more serious, the secure, covered garage is a couple of hundred yards away and is 2 storeys underground. This could be a problem if you have bulky or heavy luggage or a mobility problem although, under these circumstances, I am convinced that the hotel staff would sort everything out for the best. Will I stay here again? You bet I will!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 14 March 2013

There was one (and only one) good thing about this dire hotel and that was the very helpful young man on reception who helped me to locate my lost luggage. I was in Pamplona on business for four days and I have no idea how this hotel came onto the radar of my hotel bookers. It was grubby, worn, the bath had unidentifiable black stuff growing round it and had no enamel left on the inside so it nearly took my skin off when I got into it. The net curtains were black with dirt and the bedding stank of cigarette smoke. There was a very weird smell when I turned on the bath taps. The carpets were stained, there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and no food available in the hotel, not even a sandwich or a hot drink. The hotel did used to have a cafe and restaurant apparently but this closed down a long time ago. You couldn't even get a sandwich. It is truly and utterly disgusting and I can't believe it is rated as three star. I went down to breakfast the first day and never bothered again. It was just plain weird. There were plates of chocolate digestives laid out with processed cheese slices and a plate of walnuts in their shells but no means of cracking them. It was depressing having to go back there each evening as it was just so grim. There is no public space or lounge, just a tiny entrance with the one member of staff sitting behind a tall desk and a grubby curtain pulled across the front window. Truly horrible. It was such a relief to leave there this morning and know I would never be going back.

Room Tip: I had a 'deluxe' room with balcony. I dread to think what the standard rooms are like!
Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Courteous and friendly welcome even if we cam late and un announced. Very nice and spaceous rooms with corner balcony. Calm, quiet, very central.

Room Tip: Upper floors may be an advantage for reasons of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2010

The most expensive part of not just San Fermin, but our entire trip to Spain were the accommodations in Pamplona. During San Fermin, there are up to 100,000 visitors in the city and only a few thousand rooms. Many residents leave town during the fiesta and rent their rooms (more info can be found on the boards on the official San Fermin web-site). People reserve their hotel rooms up to a year in advance. The local hotels prices sky rocket. People literally sleep and camp in the local parks to save money. The latter was not an option for us because of all our luggage, and since I heard that traffic and parking are pretty inconvenient in Pamplona during San Fermin, we opted to go the hotel route, and stay close to tha action. We booked several months early and were lucky to get a room. If you want to stay close by and have a decent room, try and book as early as you can (up to a year in advance).

We stayed at Husa Avenida, which I booked through my favorite travel search spider Kayak.com. I generally also rely pretty heavily on TripAdvisor reviews when I reserve a hotel room, but I didn't have much of a choice this time because of lack of rooms and needing a halfway-decent priced hotel in the city center. There weren't many recent reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor, so I just went for it because the price was a little better than others in the city center, and because it was still available. Luckily, the accommodations were great. The staff was friendly, the room clean, the bed comfortable, the breakfast delicious, and the location PERFECT. A very quick and easy walk to anything you need during the fiesta, and just minutes away from the encierro route and Plaze de Toros. Not to mention our room had a really cool wrap around balcony that overlooked Avenida Zaragoza. One thing to remember is that San Fermin is a nonstop, 24/7 party, so throughout the entire night there is music, shouting, and fireworks all around you if you are staying in the city center. But hey, if you have a problem with that, then why'd you come to San Fermin in the first place? The free internet was also great so we could quickly let our family in the states know that we survived the encierro.

I would stay in this hotel again during my next trip to San Fermin. As for San Fermin, it was an incredible once in a lifetime experience, and I will be back someday.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple