“Still Best Value in Pamplona for Spyns Running of the Bulls Tours”
Review of Hotel Albret

Hotel Albret
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Pamplona
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I was recently back in Pamplona getting things ready for Spyns July running of the bulls packages and stayed at the Albret. The hotel is part of our budget Pamplona tours because its rates are less expensive during the festival. During the bull run festival you pay for proximity to the city centre and the Albret is located farther out of town (about a 25 minute walk or 10 minute taxi ride). If you're looking for an old-world hotel, you'll likely be disappointed with the Albret because it's quite modern. While modern, it has the biggest rooms and bathrooms I've seen in Pamplona. My room was a standard double and the bathroom was huge with both a shower and tub. The rooms are always very clean and the bathroom was spotless. I stay in a lot of hotels and find that the manager makes a huge difference in the service quality. So I was happy to see Alfredo, the very capable manager, was still working at the hotel and I recognized a number of familiar faces at reception. Check in was fast and efficient so they've maintained their high service standards but my favourite feature by far is breakfast. I am a true breakfast snob and am always astounded at the size and variety of the Albret's spread. There are eggs, sausage, cereals, cakes, fruit, yogurts. It's a bit like a cruise ship breakfast buffet. I'll be staying at the Albret during Spyns Pamplona tours this summer and am looking forward to it. One negative is noise. If you're a light sleeper, the hotel is adjacent to a busy road/roundabout so if you're a light sleeper, you should probably request a room on the upper floors or facing away from the road. Other than that, excellent value for a Pamplona tour.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Spyns

Reviewed 4 October 2011

In July 2011 my husband and I booked a Spyns 3 day budget tour to see the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona as it is something Ray had always wanted to do. We were not interested in actually running with the bulls (as we are both in our mid 60's) we just wanted to experience the festival as we had read and heard so much about it. This tour included 2 nights accommodation at the Hotel Albret, which we loved. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful; the rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was outstanding. We chose this Spyns package mainly due to the price, however were very pleasantly surprised, the Hotel Albret was above and beyond what we had expected, as was the Spyns Tour. The hotel is located a little out of the central part of town and we found this really quite nice and peaceful and we thouroughly enjoyed the 25 minute walk to and from the hotel, although we only had to do this a couple of times as Spyns Tours provided lots of transfer options. Overall excellent value for money during the San Fermin festival in Pamplona in July.

Lynne

2  Thank Lynne J
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Albret, at least in August, had readily available off-street parking but we were offered the underground car park for no extra cost. Lift access direct to reception and rooms so I took the offer even though already parked directly outside. As others said, there is a tight left turn so head close to the RHS wall before full left lock. Extensive wall mirrors also help; really a doddle in a Ford Focus.
Good sized triple room with plenty of storage but the 3rd bed is a fold-down best suited to our teenager. Large TV but, despite what the TV guide says, no English-speaking channels. I settled for TV5 French and the Spanish sports channels. Large bathroom/WC extremely clean and nicely equipped with toiletries (even a complimentary comb). Although Mrs reckoned the overhead halogens weren't bright enough for face painting. Aircon effective without freezing.
The surrounding blocks in this residential area lacked eateries beyond basic Cervezerias so we had dinner in the restaurant. Avoided the poor-value €22 menu del dia as a single €11-14 course was plenty and postres only €5.50. Food perfectly decent although the combination of flavours (rib eye steak with crab and calamares) can seem odd. Unlikely to try the €11 breakfast as it closes at 10:30 and I need extra sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 11 are on the end so only one neighbour
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I booked this hotel since it was the best I found which was available with relatively good reviews on TripAdvisor. Availability was low in general since it was during the San Fermin festival july 2011.
The hotel is nice with no major pluses or minuses. They have a parking in the basement that for some people arriving with slightly bigger cars might seem a little narrow to enter. There is a sharp left turn and steep downhill immediately behind the garage door. I arrived with a VW Passat which is bigger than average, but had help from the beeper parking aid system which alerted me when I came close to edges. After parking I was worried how I would be able to get out of there the next day, but it turned out to be easier than feared. From the basement looking up towards the gate you can see that the wall dirctly opposite to door was curved in to give more space, so it felt better to go out actually.
Reception area was nice, and the service at the desk was good.
The room was quite good and spacious. We had 3 beds in our room. There was a safe (that I couldn't open in the first place with the default key written on the door....so I gave up) and a mini-bar.
There were lots of spanish channels on the tv in addition to a few french and german.
Bathroom was nice.
I can't give the hotel "good value for money" but this is just due to the fact that I had to pay a very high price for the room which was probably due to the San Fermin going on these same days.
It took us about 35 minutes normal walking speed from the hotel to reach our balconies at Estafeta street for the bull run.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel since we stayed only one night and had to get up at 6 to reach our balconies at Estafeta street well in time before (06:45) the bull-run at 08:00.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank B H
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at Hotel Albret for two nights/three days during San Fermin. We booked through a tour company and this was listed as the 'budget' hotel so our hopes were not very high. Upon arrival the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful (they spoke English), and our room was very clean and quiet despite the festival going on in the city. After check in we realized the safe in our room was not working, but the front desk let us keep everything locked in a secure area that we could access at any time. We later found out it is considered 'budget' due to it's distance from the encierro and downtown area. It was a 25-30 minute walk into the heart of the festival, but there was a #12 bus that stopped half a block from the hotel which made downtown very accessible. We would absolutely return here if returning to Pamplona.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights during the San Fermin Festival in 2011. It is a nice, clean, big, American-style hotel seemingly on the outskirts of town. It was about a 15-minute bus ride into the city for festival-related events.

It is clean, and our room was much larger than any other room I've ever stayed at in Europe. It had a big TV, a king or queen-size bed (not sure which), with a good sized bathroom and a minibar. It also offered free wi-fi, which was nice for using with our American smartphones.

It was clean, the staff seemed friendly from what little interaction we had with them and the place as a whole seemed fairly new.

No pool or spa that we saw, and no idea on value as this was booked through a Spyns tour. The restaurant on the main floor only seemed to offer pastries.

Overall, we were very happy with this place.

2  Thank superbrian83
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I was back at the Albret as part of a pre-trip for Spyns running of the bulls tours. The Hotel Albret is located about a 25-30 minute walk from the city centre (10 mins by bus) so the rooms rates are quite reasonable during July's San Fermin festival. I believe it's the best deal in Pamplona during the running of the bulls. The rooms are standard, not unlike a comfortable airport hotel, but the staff is outstanding. I stay in a lot of hotels and it's always a good sign to see the manager (named Alberto) at reception. I didn't find noise was a problem even though the hotel is located on a busy street. Given its suburban location, the hotel also has secure underground parking which is a plus during the festival. Former Spyns clients have also raved about it. It's a reasonable alternative to the pricey downtown hotels charging twice as much during the festival but you should expect to take the odd bus or taxi downtown.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business