“Nice hotel”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Pamplona
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Good location (once you've arrived), decent rooms, everything is good (but nothing particularly outstanding). If you're arriving by car, make sure you have good directions. Our sat nav took us very close, but to the next square which was closed to traffic. So whilst we were about 50 metres from the hotel, we could not drive directly there. And once you do enter from the right side, you have to call the hotel to have them lower a bollard, and hope that the bollard is working properly (it wasn't).

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Nothing negative to say and agree with the excellent reviews. I give it four stars because it feels like price gouging during San Fermin. The location is central, but having a view of the Plaza does not add that much to your enjoyment of the festival. Other than loud music, not much goes on there. The bull runs and fireworks are not viewable from the balconies overlooking the plaza. Before going this year, I had no idea that the festival was so much fun and that the bull runs are really such a small part of it. The festival is a city wide celebration with music and dancing and partying all over town. The bull run is just a couple of minutes and difficult to get a good view of. So, I strongly recommend going to the festival and La Perla is wonderful to stay at, but not essential to your enjoyment of the festival. Plus, at these prices, charging so much more for parking, breakfast bull fight tickets seems piggy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in early July. The room was spacious, clean and luxurious. The staff eager to please and accommodate as well as helpful and informative. Fine continental breakfast with fresh bread. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
RUBEN A, Director de Recepción at Gran Hotel La Perla, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing us in your last visit to Pamplona.
We would like to thank you the your comments about your stay with our hotel.

We hope to receive you again in the future.

Best regards from Pamplona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Maybe I was lucky because it was out of season and I was traveling solo but I scored fantastic, huge room for 140 euro. It was pure luxury and I had a balcony looking over the street where the bulls run. The service is impeccable and the location can't be beat. This is where Hemingway chose to stay afterall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ian C
RUBEN A, Director de Recepción at Gran Hotel La Perla, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us in your last visit to Pamplona.
For us it was a pleasure to attemp you.
We hope to receive you again.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything in our city.

All the best.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here one night as part of a road trip through the Pyrenees. We'd actually stayed here about 5 years ago before its reform. What a transformation.
The room we were given had 5 balconies and was in a corner position overlooking the Piazza de Castillo.
Staff were excellent & couldn't do enough for us. They even escorted me to the carpark about 200mts away. The room was sumptuous and had a funky bathroom with a map Pamplona etched into the glass. One night certainly wasn't enough and we'll definitely be back.
Highlights - Room was superb and situated perfectly for views over the piazza. Staff couldn't do enough for us.
Lowlights - None... apart from we would have liked to have stayed longer.
We highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the Piazza de Castillo.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your confidence in our hotel.
We would like to thank you your comments about your experience with us.
We hope to receive you again in the future.

Best regards from Pamplona,
Del Mar, California, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

4 star hotel-drive past bollards around the pedestrian only square-unless you have a local cell phone to call you have to stop partially in the street and have someone go into the Hotel Europa to call La Perla to get the barrier lowered-the hotel will park your car for you.
HOWEVER the 25 Euro a day fee which was added to the bill was the most expensive parking fee we paid in Spain.

The choice of a rain shower or a separate more focused one in the full size tub was very nice and unique to our experience in Spain. My wife loved the lush fluffy bathrobe.Our room was a bit dark and looked out on a side street. We were disappointed they would not give us one facing the square since the hotel was mostly empty.
The first day the WIFI did not work and it took two calls to get an English speaker who could understand my request that they re-boot their system-which was adequate after that.
The second night when I wanted to check the weather I found out none of the advertised 8 English TV channels would work.A phone call and a staff visit did not resolve the problem. around 9PM they called and said for some unknown reason our first floor back room had no reception but we did without because it wasn't worth the trouble to pack up and move to a different floor.

I reserved a B&B and expected the same nice buffet breakfast we have gotten everywhere else in Spain. It was a very unpleasant surprise to: 1st find out that there was no buffet and 2nd that I was paying 13 euros each for a box tray 12" square with one glass of juice,one roll, a small 3" fruit cup(one strawberry + three other small bites-grocery store yogurt-no choices-three small sticks of cheap new cheese and two paper thin small slices of grocery store ham, two tiny2" sweet rolls, two pieces of toast and three little paper wrapped butters(jam we don't eat). The coffee con leche was very good but the one glass of juice was not fresh. Maybe the worst "continental" breakfast we have ever had in all our years of travel. In a land of wonderful Iberian ham and cheese's, what a shame to offer such cheap stuff I would not eat at home.My wife had me double check my hotel confirmation before I got too upset and it did say the breakfast was continental but nothing about the lack of a buffet. 3rd I found out the breakfast they confirmed for me was the second class version-there was one for 20 Euros that came in a bigger box, which they also did not disclose. "My bad". Had I known and understood I would not have booked the room which under it's actual situation did not meet my "value for money" standards.(FYI they include happily paying 350 euros a day at the Parador inside the Alhambra)
I found a picture of the two boxes in my room and as meager as it was they did not serve the 4 pieces of cheese and 4 slices of ham or a second roll or enough juice for a second glass -shown in the picture.
I expressed my concerns to the manager and he shrugged it off. Truly it was the most expensive and by far the worst breakfast ever in Spain-by a lot. I was not happy. Clearly unworthy of any hotel with pretensions to 4 stars.When we came back from seeing the town the desk lady offered to take the first breakfast off my bill and offered to give me the "1st class" version for the 13 Euro price the second morning. I told her fine, thanks for the accommodation but I did not want to pay 26 euros for the bigger box and to just take it off my bill. Well on check out they still charged me for the first morning but did give the deduction for the second so I let it go.
If you get a room overlooking the square, do not make my breakfast mistake, do not mind trying to find a decent breakfast outside the hotel(which is virtually impossible in Spain) or are OK with the grossly over priced low quality hotel option,then the excellent location and 4 star quality, for most people, would make this the place to stay. For me I would never go back. We had a hassle getting something to work both nights which should never happen at a 4 star with 4 star prices and the lack of a decent buffet would rule this place out. I debated giving it a one star but decided that would not be fair. Amazingly some people liked the breakfast-impossible if they had been anywhere else in Spain-eg the Hotel monte Carmelo in Seville gave all you could eat buffet smoked salmon, Champaign, aged ham, cheese and other meats etc included with the room for half the price. Nevertheless a reluctant 4 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel, staff and location are all wonderful. We staggered in from a day of walking, covered in dust and looking rather pathetic. The staff didn't bat an eye, but helped with our backpacks and soon had us in a large well appointed room. Great service. Cafe Iruna a few steps away. Pamplona seems to be town dedicated to having a good time...

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple