“Not good for Running of The Bulls”

Holiday Inn Express Pamplona
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Pamplona
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Things fall to pieces here during the Running of The Bulls. There are dead bugs all over the lighted entranceway decorations. In my room there are dead bugs all over the windowsill. The floor clearly isn't vacuumed as I constantly have long hair stuck to my feet...and I have short hair and am staying with no one. I have found a live beetle, multiple spiders, and some flies in my room. The air conditioning only gets to 24 Celcius in my room and apparently is the norm unless late at night. There was a used towel bunched up on the floor under the desk when I checked into the room. I pulled up the covers of the bed before heading to sleep and noticed garbage underneath the bed. IF A HOTEL IS NOT CLEAN IT WILL NEVER GET MORE THAN ONE STAR FROM ME! The price is also very high (150-300 Euros per night) compared to hostels that offer cleaner amenities (I was in two of them visiting other guests). They have a computer center with a computer that is unbelievably old. It will take you an hour to check your mail. The wireless internet didn't work the entire first day I was here.

Now for the nice things about the hotel. It is located right across a parking lot and street from a large mall with plenty of food choices. There is a supermarket next door. They have a bus for 3.75 Euro per person (a cab is 8 Euro total) each morning at 6:05am to the Running of The Bulls. The hotel remains relatively quiet during the festivities even though the walls are thin. I clearly heard the couple in the room next to mine having sex, but he was a two pump chump. Less than a minute and it was over. The front desk is exceptionally friendly and speaks both English and Spanish. They also try very hard to be helpful. If their housekeeping did a good job and they dropped the price a hair during the festivities I would have given it five stars.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pamplona, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear lacdenis,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Not the prettiest location, it is on an industrial estate on the outskirts of town but very quiet and suited us very well. A Centro Comercial was two minutes walk away with a food court and large supermarket. We had a very competitive rate that included a perfectly adequate breakfast and there was secure car parking at no extra charge Staff were professional and helpful. We asked for an extra chair for our room and it came within minutes. Room was spacious, clean, well-lit and had a large desk. Small wardrobe had plenty of shelves and reasonable hanging space. Nicely decorated bathroom had a large bath with shower and plenty of worktops for our stuff. Bed was very comfortable with good quality linen and we slept well with no noise from adjoining rooms. In complete contrast, the bed-settee was old, dirty and horribly uncomfortable to sit on and only fit for storing suitcases but, that apart, we could not fault this modest hotel for comfort and price on an overnight stop.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MillyMollyMandy01
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This hotel is modern, comfortable and staff were very friendly & helpful.

Ample parking outside and some in underground garage.

The location is in a commercial area very similar to a French retail park, not very glamorous, but only 10 mins drive from Pamplona centre.

Excellent breakfast.

Rooms were warm (25 degrees) as central air conditioning system is not switched on until outside temperatures go up as summer approaches. Definitely a draw back but many hotels operate this type of central system so I cannot hold that too much against the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I arrived in Pamplona after dark. Since I am on an "avoid major metropolises" trip here, I had no intention of going into the heart of the city to search for my usual budget type hotel. The hotel is in an industrial area on the outskirts and I parked right in front. No traffic hassles whatsoever. That alone, plus wi-fi, make it worth the 50 euro splurge. The room has everything you could ever want, including a couch. Everything is spotless and very new looking. I will not bother to enumerate every item in here. The bed is a huge queen sized one and I can't wait to get into it. There is a buffet breakfast which, I am sure, will take care of my food needs until supper time. The shower has a couple of peculiarities worth sharing. The shower door only covers half the tub length. It's a single panel that opens out. So some water from splashing makes it onto the floor. The second oddity is the tub/shower water temperature control. I am in the habit of turning on the hot water first and then adding cold water as needed. When I did so, the water was tepid. I waited and waited and it refused to heat any further. So I got in, resigned to taking a quickie shower because the water just wasn't hot enough to enjoy. At some point I noticed that the cold water knob appeared to have a control that was not on the hot water faucet. Well, it seems that if you want your water to be either hotter or colder than the "default" setting. You have to rotate it either up or down. After that discovery I had a five star shower. They should probably have some written "caveat" about this. I bets lots a people have a disappointing shower simple because they are unaware of how to adjust the temperature.

Room Tip: My room was 208.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ELHS220
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Valuable hotel, nice price, clean rooms & nice people.

The room was ok and clean. I had a parkingplace behind the building. Breakfest ok, everything was fresh, and mill was hot.

I recommend for you.

I got one of the best advise from the portier regarding spanish tapas bar ( called Gaucho )

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank tgaspar-szombathely
Reviewed 20 December 2012

A typical HI Express hotel on the outskirts of Pamplona.

Although in an industrial estate, it is right at the edge and very quiet. Plenty of parking and easy access to the motorway ring road.

The hotel has a mini food menu and there is a local Chinese buffet and McDonalds. There is also a large supermarket nearby.

Breakfast is a good spread - but lacks a hot food choice. (Only warm Spanish Tortilla,)

A recurring problem (twice) has been a smoke smell in the (non-smoking) rooms. This time, we even found a lighter left by a previous guest (as well as some of their toiletries!). On both occasions we were given another room without fuss.

The air-conditioning has also been variable - not efficient enough for us. Despite being on high fan all night, it was still 25 degC in the morning. We had even kept the window closed thinking it would improve the aircon efficiency.

The staff are always friendly and their English is far better than my Spanish!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LesD
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Pamplona, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear LesD,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am pleased you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you had encountered with your room accommodation, air conditioner and the breakfast. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 December 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here during San Fermin. It's a good hotel, up to the standards of Holiday Inn. The room was tiny, but it didn't bother me too much. However, I have to knock it down some points because it was inconvenient to get to the town center. We planned to run with the bulls, so we had to leave at least 45 minutes earlier to get to the stadium on time via bus. On the last day, we decided to not go because we didn't feel like getting up so gosh darn early to get to the town center.
The bus is usually arrives on time, but the bus ride into town with a bunch of rowdy drunk people was not ideal at 5:30 in the morning. So be prepared to shell out about 15-20 euros for a cab fare if you want to maintain your sanity.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple