“Probably a good hotel, but not for me .....”
Review of Melia Benidorm

Melia Benidorm
Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
London, UK
“Probably a good hotel, but not for me .....”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed here on a B & B basis for one night only in June 2011.
The lobby area was impressively decorated with lots of plants. The reception staff was pleasant and efficient for both the check in and out process. The hotel was not far from the beach (about 10 minutes on foot) but quite a distance from the old town.
I had a room on the high floor, with a balcony and pool view. It was a nice size room, with the usual facility. There was no wifi though. The bed was large and comfortable and the air-conditioning was working well. The bathroom was clean and tidy but a bit dated. There was a coffee table with a comfy chair. However, there was no basic stationery (e.g. papers and envelopes).
Having not been to Benidorm, I had a shock when I went down to the restaurant for breakfast. It was heaving with dinners, obviously holiday makers (I was there on business). There was an empty area but I was told that it wasn't to be used (why ?). I was then seated in the rather crowded area instead. The buffet spread was huge but of low quality. They served instant coffee and watered down juices. The usual cold & hot items were available. They even had some spanish breakfast items on offer. I had some churros with chocalate sauce. Unfortunately I only managed one mouthful as it was hard and soaked in oil ! Very poor indeed.
There was a huge pool (from what I can see from my balcony) but I cannot comment further as I didn't use it.
In summary, this probably is a good hotel if you're looking for 'sun, sea, and sand' holiday but it really is not my type.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I have just returned from a week's All Inclusive in the Melia hotel with family and friends. What an amazing holiday. Rooms are very clean with fresh towels every day. I had previously stayed in this hotel 2 years ago with a large group of friends bed and breakfast and choose the All inclusive option this time around and believe me I wasnt disappointed. Food was amazing with plenty of choice to suit everyone. Drinks were available all day and included bottles of wine with meals as well as local drinks and cocktails day and night. We didnt have to queue for drinks at the bar and the staff were very friendly and polite at all times. Hotel pool was amazing and there was always plenty of free sun loungers. Overall a great stay and will definetely return to this hotel worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank clalou1980
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Having stayed a week in the Melia I have to say this hotel met all our expectations. After reading the reviews I was expecting rude staff and not to be able to be served however this was not the case at all - The waiters were lovely and friendly and made a real fuss over my 16 month old. The only time I had to wait to get served was on the saturday and then it wasnt a case of the waiters serving the spanish first it was more that the spanish would push in instead of waiting their turn. The food was great especially the breakfast - plenty of choice. If you are fussy and will only eat chips, pizza and chicken nuggets then you might find it hard but we found it lovely including paella, pasta dishes, meat stews, soups, salads everyday which were amazing. The rooms were clean and maid service everyday and check in was very quick. My only complaint was that there was only 1 highchair in the resturant, which was fine for us as there werent many families mainly couples however this might prove more of a problem in the high season. We didnt go to the pool until 12pm everyday and there were still plenty of sunbeds. I would definatley return to this hotel and would recommend to all.

3 Thank roberts1978
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had a lovely stay at the Melia The staff were very helpful, friendly and efficient especially William and Angel from the bar. There was always something on the menu to suit most tastes. The outstanding feature of this hotel is the pool and surroundings, sunbeds were available all day no getting up at the crack of dawn to put your towels down. The one and only let down was the evening entertainment, the pianist in the lounge bar was very good but the entertainment apart from this was not good. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

2 Thank Robinson199
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Seeing as the last two hotels we have stayed in were a 5 star Marriot and Hiltom Hotels, we were prepared that this hotel was going to be below the usual standard we have become used too, but this being Benidorm and with the reputation that it is as cheap as chips, we were prepared to accept that it would be fine.

When we arrived, the lobby at first looks impresive, however afte closer examination, it just looks cheap and tacky, the unfinnished wall effect, looked like throwback to the 80's and the rainforest effect was frankly quite naff.

Check in was ok, however there was some confussion on what board basis we were staying, this was easily resolved once we provided the documentation.

When we got to our room, it was clean and tidy, and although it was meant to be a 4 star, it was a little on the basic side. The bed was comfortable. Our main gripe was irregular hot water when showering, one minute it was ok, then scalding hot then freezing cold, not what you would expect from a hotel that was claiming to be 4 star.

The following morning we ventured down to breakfast, what met us was a scene of chaos and noise. We found free table, in a 'quiet' part of the eating area, however we was told of by one of the waitresess that we was not meant to be there. Rude does not even justify her attitude. We found after that the whole thing to be just confuseing, and chaotic, and soon gave up the idea of breakfast as a bad idea. Remember this hotel claims to be 4 Star.

We then decided to have a little sit round the pool. We dutifully found ourselves sunbeds and a spot in the sun. After about a minute, i found that my towel was soaking wet. When I inspected, the sunbed was soaking wet, as was my partners. They basically inhaled the water from the last person who had sat on them, resulting in a rather smelly stagnant mess. We gave up the sunbathing as a bad idea and went for a walk into town.

As well as the rude staff in the breakfast hall, we found the staff to be very rude, lots of shrugging of shoulders, very poor English and a general 'couldn't give a monkeys' kind of attitude.

If you are looking to goto Benidorm, then I would seriously avoid this hotel, there are plenty of nicer ones. i hightly recomend the Sol Ocas, thich is nearer to the beach, and a much nicer hotel, we stayed there last year, so can speak from personal experience.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chrisnsteve76
Manchester
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here in June 2011 with 10 Friends. Very clean, rooms great and restaurant food very nice. Pool area and pool very nice although drinks a little expensive but expected in high quality hotel. 10 Min walk to beach and centre. Would definately return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have stayed at this 5 star hotel for a long weekend (4-5 days) for the last 3 years. It is a hotel of quite reasonable standards, the rooms are OK, not large but reasonable. The pool area is very good for a hotel in Benidorm where space is of a premium. The free form twin swimming pools are very nice including small jacuzzi parts and hidden seating areas. The whole area is planted up with lots of palm trees and tropical plants as well as extensive grassed areas that you can find a secluded place if you want to or stay at the waters edge if you have kids.
However: this year we found the restaurant staff to be slovenly bordering on rude, especially one chubby woman with a love bite. As we sat at a table they barked "how many" and then moved us to the tables they wanted us to sit at (presumably so they would have to walk less) they cleared plates with almost a sneer and added nothing good to the stay. It is a shame as we will not be going back now.
When we were playing catch in the pool with our 8 year old, the pool man told us to stop, he apologised saying it was the managers orders. The deputy manager would not come to discuss it with us so we had to go to him. his answer was we could go elsewhere as all hotels have this rule..... unbelievable ! if this is the deputy manager i can see where the restaurant staff take their lead from. Th pool chap was fine though, just very apologetic for having to enforce the rule.
We had an attempted pickpocket crossing the road just down from the hotel one evening, a very drunk British man had his hand in my brothers wife's hand bag at the crossing. We caught him in the act. luckily, but the taxi drivers warn everyone now that it is rife. So long Benidorm..... we won't be back. Even the quieter bits are catching up with it's reputation now.

1 Thank Jesterrip