“Great Holiday”
Review of Melia Benidorm

Melia Benidorm
Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have just arrived back from the Melia. We normally stay in The Deloix further up the hill, which is a great hotel but we thought we would give the Melia a try.

The Hotel is very beautiful, the reception area and all public area's are well looked after and very clean. The rooms are a good size, cleaned daily with bedding changed and towels when ever you want. The food was good, amazing salads and deserts, hot meals were always fresh and hot, sometimes the staff were a bit slow clearing the tables but it was very busy. We were half board as we like to venture out but we did notice that drinks and snacks are expensive in the Melia so if you have kids or plan to spend most of your time at the hotel i would suggest you go all inclusive.

We only stayed to watch the entertainment once so I couldn't really say if it was good or not, we tended to go into town or use the bars local, The Tropical on the other side of the road opposite the Lavante Hotel is a great bar, really goods acts every night and great bar staff, the resident DJ is Disco Dave, he's really good fun.

It is only a short walk down the hill to Levante beach, lovely clean beach with clear water, lots of café's and bars to stop at along the beach, walk into the Old Town, its so nice with lots of shops and bars.

My main negative with the Melia has to be the Pool area, it is the most beautiful pool area with a lagoon shaped pool, palm trees and lots of sun loungers BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN GET ONE !!! the staff need to stop people putting towels out on the sunbeds then not using them for hours, I seen people sneaking out in the early morning and some even leaving their towel out all night!! I am not a sun bather but do like to go down in the afternoon with my book and lay in the shade, nearly impossible as nearly all the sun beds have towels on them but no people, they wonder off for lunch or whatever, very annoying, I think the Melia staff should put a stop to this to make it fair for everyone.

All in all another great holiday in Benidorm, will be back in October and will be happy to stay at the Melia again or the Deloix.

4  Thank nancymuir

Reviewed 18 July 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 14 days in July. The main reason for booking at this hotel was the swimming pool area, and we were not disappointed. Two large pools and daily activities arranged by staff made it perfect for us :) However, sunbeds are always a problem at some hotels. It's pretty good explained in many reviews in here. The only thing I will mention is that I just can't believe that the Melia don't care about it, it's a shame!

We had only breakfast included since I've read some reviews about poor dinner. We decided to eat dinner once, just to check it out. And I'm afraid to say that the dinner was not good. Breakfast was nice though, lots of choices and since we stood up 07.00 (because of the sunbeds...) we were almost alone in the dinner hall when it opened.

Staff was excellent except two things. Some of them could barely speak English, and this surprised me since there are many British people in Benidorm. We had some misunderstandings with the staff because of this. And there was one man at the pool bar that always looked like he was in a bad mood. He shouldn't be working there, we just tried to avoid him.

All in all we had a nice stay at the Melia. The location is nice, and we really loved the pool area! We rate it 3,5, will not give it 4 because of the things I've mention above. Next time we are off to Benidorm we will consider staying here again.

2  Thank Ladsar
Reviewed 17 July 2012

wow what a lovely looking hotel! would we stay there again? no.
very short staffed long waits at reception, pool bar staff very rude,only 2 staff in dinner hall,so getting a drink with your meal was almost impossible,food very repetitive we went all inclusive as we always do this was the worst hotel we have stayed in.Getting a sunbed.. well imposible unless you leave your towels on them all night!,watch out for drain covers being left off around the pool area..one poor lady cut her foot open on one and had to have stitches in her foot and a little lad twisted his ankle.only 2 drinks per person allowed at a time on all inclusive and the night entertainment !! well what a load of rubbish same 2 singers every night, felt sorry for them.rooms nice we were on the 1st floor so didnt have to wait more than 10mins for the lift!!l lol disabled acess very good .If you have already booked this hotel goodluck if not try and get somewhere else.Very expensive for what you get..looks can be decieving

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Very Disapointed With Check-in Was Waiting For 45mins! There Was Only 2 People On The Reception Desk. Food Overall Was Very Nice But Very Repetitive. The Room Was Lovely But We Were Put On The 1st Floor Did Book For A Higher Room And The Music Goes On Til Midnight Soo Wasn't Very Helpful If You Have A 3 Year-old. The Pool Is Lovely But The Sun-Beds Were Rediculous People Were Down Placing Towel On Them At 7am! The Cleaners.....Well We Put The Label On The Bed For Them To Change The Beds But After 3 Days And They Still Han't Changed It We Had To Ask Them Was Very Disapointed :[ {Sorry To Moan} Other Then That It Is A Hotel Clean Hotel Staff Are Very Friendly But Won't Go Back. Benidorm Is A Great Place To Visit Everyone Should Visit!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Found the hotel to be very good, clean rooms, good food however checking in is a nightmare !!! We were at reception for about an hour, We did not like the room due to solar panals right in front of balcony so was given another room which card key did not work, eventually settled in our room about 2 and a half hours after arriving at the hotel.

Room Tip: Not worth putting in preference when booking. My friend has put preference for the past 6 years and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank terry p
Reviewed 15 July 2012

just arrived back from the melia hotel, food excellant cant complain at all drink not bad either, sunbeds huuuuge issue ie people leaving towels on them not just early morning but all night, other than that pretty decent place to stay.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel which I booked direct through their website as no charge is levied to your bank card until you actually check in and the website allows you to default the language to English so booking is real easy and, I get to keep my hard earned cash rather than handing it to a tour operator weeks or months in advance.
Having been to this hotel last year I knew exactly what to expect. Yes- I asked for a middle floor in this 20 storey hotel and was given one on the 17th but I understand that requests cannot be accomodated all the time and the check in was relatively speedy- a little quicker than the time is takes for the lift to arrive!! ( the main reason i wanted to be on a lower floor).
The food is acceptable but I only booked for bed and breakfast this time round which was plentiful, always hot and a the usual variety of cereals, fruits, breads and cooked items. The dining room was also, like all public areas in the hotel, clean and fresh but suffers from lack of air conditioning and this becomes quite uncomfortable in the height of summer in a packed dinning room.
The bedroom - have stayed in both standard and superior- are really nice. Clean, flat screen T.V, fridge with no extra charge and the chambermaids are friendly and do a very good job.
My only real gripe about this hotel is what other guests have commented on.
As every room overlooks the pool I was able to count- at 8.30pm every night( whilst sitting having my pre-dinner drink) how many towels had been placed on beds for the next day. Yes - you did read this correct- the beds were being reserved the evening before. As my holiday progressed the numbers increased from 50 to over 100 beds with towels on and these are the people that don't bother coming down to the pool until mid-day.
I tried to make a comment about this to reception one evening but got the usual shrug of the shoulders and I honestly feel that if this is allowed to continue many people will be put off from going to this hotel- it just makes you so angry and holidays are for chilling and relaxing.
If you are lucky enough to grab a bed you will not be disappointed. The Melia must have the best pool areas in Benidorm - plenty of natural shade from the palm trees, lots of greenery and grass areas with numerous showers and small hidden plunge pools. Also- no pounding music coming out of tannoys.
As I usually go to Benidorm one a year I will continue to read the reviews to see if the issue of "sunset sunbed reserving" continues as this will affect my decision to return there again.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have a large corner balcony and are located on 17th floor and upwards and give views...
3  Thank juliebomboolie