“Shocked about reviews”

Sol Pelicanos Ocas
Ranked #36 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
“Shocked about reviews”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I'm a big Benidorm fan and have stayed in many hotels, I vary it between a few hotels and this is one of them. I roughly go 3 or 4 times a year and am fairly new to this site so reading the below reviews have really shocked me. I can't really fault this hotel other then the usual grumbles, people reserving sunbeds etc but let's face it you get that everywhere. Food spot on, rooms cleaned and beds made everyday. Never witnessed or heard of any thefts before but I'm not implying my fellow reviewers are telling porkys. If you've got kids this is gonna be great for you as they cater better then most for the them. Air con in rooms very good too which is a must in peak season, just make sure the balcony door is fully closed or it won't work

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott L
Mar_SolPel, Mar Sierra – E-Guest Experience Manager at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Scott L, thank you for choose Sol Pelícanos Ocas to enjoy your holidays in Benidorm every time you come and also for taking a moment to share in this site your personal opinion with other travellers. Regarding to other people worry, hotels and policy work hard by the hand for guarantee travelers security. Nowadays, this is one of the best ways we have to know our guests opinions about their stays among us and as we can read you really enjoy at our hotel and you have made a good resume of our facilities and location! Hope to see you soon. Kind regards, Mar Sierra – E-Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,787)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Have been going to this hotel for many years and it has always been very good, just back from a long weekend and stayed in the refurbished Ocas the standard was excellent, cleanliness was second to none, food very good and the staff brilliant plus met the General Manager who was very charming on one of her many inspections, thanks for another great trip

Room Tip: there all good you only sleep in it, it's Benidorm
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kennyfontana
Mar_SolPel, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Kennyfontana, first of all many thanks for having spent your valuable time writing here so kind and positive comments and also for sharing them with other tripadvisor’s users. We are so pleased to read that you have had a great stay at Sol Pelicanos Ocas and that you really appreciate the quality of our food and our service, all the staff at the hotel always try to satisfy our guests’ needs with the best of our smiles and as we can read from your lines we have achieve your expectations!. We will send your comments to our General Manager because they will sure encourage her to continue working as well as always. We all hope to see you on your next holidays again!!, Mar Sierra, E-Guest Experience Manager.
derby
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Everybody that watches benidorm knows it as the solano, it caters for the uk more than anyone else, I think the staff there are brilliant, always working hard always friendly and very approachable, you can't get away from the smell of sewerage in reception but in a strange way you expect it if you've been there before, I can't fault the food or the area, the rooms are now getting very dated and tired looking, however the ocas next door has just been completely refitted so I'm guessing that hotel will be like new, it definitely has the best pool in benidorm, great entertainment and is perfect for any kind of holiday, I got together with my mrs there so maybe I'm biased ;)

Stayed December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here from the 3rd-7th july for a friends hen do.
There were 11 of us and although i personally intend NEVER to return to Benidorm for the rest of my days i loved the hotel.
The staff were pleasant and helpful.The food was exellent,well priced (wasn't AI)and great choice.If i had booked on an AI basis i would have been more than happy.
The pool area is beautiful,very relaxing and just the right amount of things going on.There were short sessions of water aerobics,pool games at certain times etc...but not all the time so you could get some great relaxation time,and you were never forced to join in.
The large pelicanos doesn't open till 9am and yes people queue but it wasnt too bad of an issue and the staff were vigillant.They would place notes on empty beds giving you 1 hour,if after 1 hour the note was still there....off came the towel.
We had road view rooms which were noisy,but to be expected i guess,you are after all in Benidorm.
As for the security issues I DIDNT HEAR OF ANY SUCH PROBLEMS.
I suppose the solution is to get a safe which is a bargain 20 euros,10 of which is returnable,and always make sure the key is either with you.As for peoples rooms being robbed whilst they sleep YIKES!!!!!!! frightening,but as i said i personally heard no such stories,nothing surprising though as WOW BENIDORM.
Great location depending what you want to do,main strip and bars minutes away,old town which is much nicer about 20 mins to half hour walk or short taxi ride.We used to ride there walk back which was great.
I hope all staying here has a lovely time.

Room Tip: higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank marry40
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Just came back from our second visit to this hotel. Staff great, rooms cleaned every day and a fair selection of food at evening meal time. But, did hear of thefts from rooms while we were there. If key cards are being used, then maybe hotel management should do security checks on hotel staff. Won't be going back until these thefts stop.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kentish-bert
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! went here with my boyfriend and 8 year old son
On the 25 of June and by the 27 of June our holiday was over as while we were in our room me and my boyfriend were on the balcony,my son was in the shower and our door and safe were locked !someone got into our room took our safe key from the bedside table and took the full contents of the safe and a lot of personal belongings it happened in min ,after the shock of what had happened we went straight to reception only to be told to wait 5min to they deal with a Spanish persons request first , Once we got to speak to the manager Maria she looked very shocked and told us this had never happened before which we later found out they tell everyone the same thing as there were 7 robbers in 10day that wee heard about and it was all the same story's someone in the shower someone on the balcony , Maria called the police for us at reception then we had to go to the police station to make another statement the police station is a good 30min walk and as we were only 2 days into our holiday we had no idea how to get there bearing in mind we had just been robed of everything and were very upset and distressed ,we asked if they would provided transport to the police station they refused us at first then said if wee get a taxi we could bring the receipts back and they would refund us again wee told them we have no money all our money had been took 1300 euro and £350 they told us that's all they could do the only option was to walk thankfully the guests were more helpful than the staff and gave us alone of money till wee got back with the receipts on our return we spoke to an other manager Jose Lewis Sanchez and explained that we basically had nothing we were half bored so as a good will gesture would he upgrade us for water only if not for us for our son only to be told no because of the cost there suggestion was for my son to drink the tap water which they don't drink personally but informed us that some Spanish do!!! The next day we asked for a complaints form because we felt the way they had treated us was inhuman there attitude changed and they became very rude calling us liars saying we didn't ask for water we asked for alcohol which is a lie because me nor my boyfriend drink they also told us that they were very disappointed that we were asking for a complaints form because in our case they felt they had treated us very we'll and we should have been privileged because they had never gave any other guest money for a taxi we were a special exception ,the hotel is very open and unsafe anyone can walk in from the street which made me uneasy to let my son go anywhere in the hotel with out me or my boyfriend it was a holiday from hell and I will never be back in benidorm all I can say is thank god the guest are more helpful than the staff because if not for them wee would have struggled .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank louisea330
Mar_SolPel, Director General at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen Sol Pelicanos Ocas to spend your holidays and let me express my deep regret for the unfortunate incident you report here. Although we are treating this case by proper channel , we would like to remind you, as reported in previous reviews, that the hotel has a complete security system which makes our guests feel safe among us but it is important also to follow security habits in so touristic areas as it is Benidorm, like for example ensuring having closed properly room door, keeping valuable belongings always inside the safe and keep the safe key with you all the time. When sadly these unfortunate incidents happens to one of our customers we react immediately giving them from that same moment all our support and assistance, finding out all information as possible regarding to incident and which is the most important putting you in touch with the police to make a formal register in order to continue working together with them and prevent these bad practices. Best regards, Lola Jiménez – General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I think this hotel could be great. Food in restaurant is great with plenty to choose from. Entertainment day and night was brilliant especially if you have kids. Pool areas are great we used the smaller ocas pool more often because sad people were queuing at 7:45 at the pelicanos pool when it doesn't open till 9, wouldn't mind this if they used the beds they claimed with towels but many people not going to use the bed till later in the day. Always beds at ocas pool and that done us fine sun all day long. Location of hotel is spot on , yards from main strip of bars and clubs 5 minutes from the beach and round the corner from bus stops that will take you to waterparks and theme parks etc. Though taxis were not much more expensive to get to and from parks if there is 4 of you. My only problem with the hotel was the amount of THEFTS from rooms and managements lack of concern about it considering the robberies where by people with key cards. we spook to many people who were robbed some of every penny they had and management wouldn't even give them water to see them through even though they had a child and not a cent to their name and relying on the goodwill of other guests for a bus fare to the police station. This wouldn't happen in the uk to a foreign guest. NOT GOOD ENOUGH !!! so if you go to this hotel get a safe and keep the key with you at all times some guests safes where robbed when they where in the room sleeping and the key was found by the thieves. Until this is sorted safes should be free of charge. Apart from that serious issue the hotel could be great.

Room Tip: Get a safe and keep the key with you at all times even when your sleeping, put everything of any val...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank mikochenko
Mar_SolPel, Director General at Sol Pelicanos Ocas, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear mikochenko, thank you very much for having chosen Sol Pelicanos Ocas to spend your holidays in Benidorm and for sharing here your personal opinion about our services and facilities, which you consider were great!, but sadly your opinion has been affected by comments of other customers during your stay here. Although the case you mention it is being treated by other channel, we would like to remind you that it is important to get all the information as possible about one event happened as there could be any detail that is not being taken into account and which can make change your mind completely. We are just going to clarify that from the hotel we always react immediately giving our customers all our support and assistance, finding out all information as possible regarding to incident and which is the most important helping them to communicate with the police to make a formal register in order to continue working together with them and prevent these bad practices. Security at the hotel is guaranteed under a complete security system but it is also important to follow security habits. I hope you continue trusting in us so please, if you decide to return do not hesitate to contact me on your arrival as I would like to welcome you personally and be able to speak about this issue. Best regards, Lola Jiménez – General Manager